• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

^ This.

My 930 tube is a 4 rounder with a +2 extension. It'll fit six rounds with some brands and only five with others. Just depends on the length of the shell...

Mossberg 930 function issues!

I am new to the forum and recently got a Mossberg 930 with 18 1/2 breaching barrel. It has a Nordic +2 extension and I have had problems from the minute I started shooting. First I had several FTF problems from the magazine to the feed ramp (carrier). I was frustrated enough after cleaning, and trimming spring to finally call Mossberg, which actually made it worse as there response was pretty bad. Then right before shipping, it started feeding fine . I have used Remington 7 1/2 to 00 Buck and everything started going good except for Winchester low aluminum 7 1/2 which wouldn't extract. It would either peel a portion of the rim back and slip off or extract it half way and cause a double feed!! I stripped the gun completely down and cleaned it. Then today I went out with 00 Buck Federal, Federal 8 shot and Winchester 4 shot high brass, all well over 1200fps. I couldn't get more then 2-3 rounds to fire without a FTE. Well I am about to give up and sell this but figured since I'm here I will reach out one time before I go back to Remington like I should have in the beginning. So now it feeds great, but won't extract?!?!? Any fixes since I have used high and low brass, aluminum and all types of shot? After talking to CS at Mossberg I'll sell the gun before I deal with them so????? Now what? Please help.
Hopelessly Frustrated!

Re: Mossberg 930 function issues!

Contact Joe Zahker at jzakher@maverickarms.com ... he might be a more direct route for better CS at Mossberg.

Have you given the chamber a good polish? Since I don't have a 930 yet, I can only offer you advice from what I've seen throughout the other 930 threads... but it seems that a good polish of the chamber and a good cleaning of the gas system seems to work wonders (I know you said you cleaned it... but I'm talking baby butt smooth for the chamber)

Also check for burrs or high spots in the receiver and bolt that might be causing a bind. Check your return spring and plunger for excess grease or fouling/burrs. Hope we can help... don't give up on us ;)

Howdy CT.

Looks like your 930 is set up just like mine. Had some double feed issues through the first couple dozen rounds, but it's been issue free since. The ejection issues are typically associated with underpowered ammo, but since you're experiencing the problem with ammo rated at over 1200fps it looks like there might be something going on with the gas system. If you're not out of patience yet, we can help you get to the bottom of it. Otherwise, e-mail Joe at the address AK posted and he WILL take care of you. He's helped out many of us here and if you decide to send it in he will ensure that your 930 is properly inspected and the issue resolved. Like you I was frustrated at first, but now that it's runnin right I wouldn't trade my 930 for anything...

I will really clean out the chamber and go from there. I am a Remington 870 guy so this is new to me having a shotgun malfunction. Thanks a ton for the responses. I will clean it this weekend, shoot some more and let you guys know.

Perry

Odd 930 problem with 3" buckshot

I have had my problems with this gun, no doubt but I have all of them except one ironed out or attributed to shitty ammunition (Winchester Universal 100rd birdshot).

The gun is a 930 Turkey with a +6 Nordic tube, low drag follower, GG&G bolt handle. I have stretched the shell release spring to .460 and it makes it cycle like a dream either by hand or by firing.

My problem lies in the fact that I can not I mean 100% can not get Remington Express 3" 15 Pellet buckshot to cycle, not even one shell. It will fire perfect, eject with authority but will not release the next round from the magazine tube. I can run a birdshot shell with a 3" buckshot next in line and it will load right up.

Now Mossberg experts what in the hell could cause this? I apparently have a one off isolated problem that can not be solved via Google.

Re: Odd 930 problem with 3" buckshot

Sturgell said:
I have had my problems with this gun, no doubt but I have all of them except one ironed out or attributed to shitty ammunition (Winchester Universal 100rd birdshot).

The gun is a 930 Turkey with a +6 Nordic tube, low drag follower, GG&G bolt handle. I have stretched the shell release spring to .460 and it makes it cycle like a dream either by hand or by firing.

My problem lies in the fact that I can not I mean 100% can not get Remington Express 3" 15 Pellet buckshot to cycle, not even one shell. It will fire perfect, eject with authority but will not release the next round from the magazine tube. I can run a birdshot shell with a 3" buckshot next in line and it will load right up.

Now Mossberg experts what in the hell could cause this? I apparently have a one off isolated problem that can not be solved via Google.

Sounds like the Remington 3" buckshot has a wider rim that's getting hung up on the shell stop... especially if the other loads run fine... run one through the chamber and one in the mag tube. When it fails to cycle, look into the receiver and see if the rim is still caught on the shell stop and I bet you that's what you'll find.

aksavanaman said:
Sounds like the Remington 3" buckshot has a wider rim that's getting hung up on the shell stop... especially if the other loads run fine... run one through the chamber and one in the mag tube. When it fails to cycle, look into the receiver and see if the rim is still caught on the shell stop and I bet you that's what you'll find.

That doesn't explain why I can run a 2 3/4 Federal birdshot load in the chamber and Express buckshot in the tube first in line and it will fire the birdshot then load the buckshot perfectly but if I run that buckshot in the chamber it will not cycle the next round no matter what it is.

I guess I need more clarification.... So it will fire the bird shot... extract the bird shot... load the buckshot... extract the buckshot... and then nothing, next round won't chamber?

I will try to draw some pictures using words.

Chamber
Lifter|Magazine tube

Express Buckshot
Lifter|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot

=Bang - Fail to feed (fail to release next round from magazine tube)

Ghost loaded
Express Buckshot
Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot

= Bang - Bang - Fail to feed (fail to release next round from magazine tube)

Express Buckshot
Federal Birdshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot

= - Bang - Bang - Bang - Fail to feed (fail to release next round from magazine tube)

Federal Birdshot
Lifter|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot|Express Buckshot

= Bang - Bang - Fail to feed (fail to release next round from magazine tube)

Federal Birdshot
Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot|Federal Birdshot

=BangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangBang hahahahaha this is so much fun!!!!

Note Federal birdshot can be replaced with any ammunition including cheap slugs/buckshot/birdshot besides Express 3" 00 buckshot and run well except for Winchester Universal which only runs about 80% because of FTF/FTE that I encounter out of all of my semi auto guns although they tend to run in the 90-95% range.

I almost hate to get involved in this, but do you have a pair of calipers? I'd do some comparison measurements between the Winchester buck that's giving you problems and the birdshot. Diameters (head, case, etc.) rim thickness, brass length, and whatever else you can think of. If there's any significant differences (other than length diff between 2 3/4 and 3") that might help in troubleshooting. Measure 4 or 5 shells of each and write down the results.

Everything I measured was in a .003" tolerance window...far more consistent than I would have thought.

It seems to be something with the bolt recoil speed or something to do with the shell release not the actual shells themselves but what has me stumped is no one talks about their 930 when it won't cycle heavy recoiling 3" loads.

Plus the fact that everything hand cycles in this gun with minimal rearward movement of the bolt.

I can't speak for buckshot but I've shot a fair share of 3" turkey loads through mine with no issues.

Sturgell said:
Everything I measured was in a .003" tolerance window...far more consistent than I would have thought.

It seems to be something with the bolt recoil speed or something to do with the shell release not the actual shells themselves but what has me stumped is no one talks about their 930 when it won't cycle heavy recoiling 3" loads.

Plus the fact that everything hand cycles in this gun with minimal rearward movement of the bolt.

Well, that makes two of us. Might be time to take it to a gunsmith. The only other thing I'd suggest is contacting Mossberg about it. Good luck with it, I know it must be driving you nuts. :?

Ok guys I cleaned it again and really scrubbed and buffed the chamber as suggested. I went and shot today and now again with a full 6 round mag load it doesnt want to load the first round hand cycling!! It will with 5 and never a load problem while firing. I worked through that and still had a few FTE's. Mostly Federal #8 which is the low aluminum looking head like the Winchester. It will cycle some, but definitely not speed shooting. Seemed to eat up the 00 Buck just fine, and I have some Win #4 shot high brass. I shot around 35 rounds of the 00 Buck and #4. I will not even reference the low aluminum because this gun obviously won't cycle them correctly. Of the 35 rounds I believe I has 4 FTE's or double feeds. It is only when trying to practice multiple target 3 Gun type drills, seems if you just shoot smoothly it functions fine now. I am going to clean some more, try and trade the 8 shot for something else and make sure I am staying on this gun good enough. I think I may be helping with the feeding problems not staying in it hard enough. I conscientiously did this in the end of my session and don't remember any failures?? I had 4 round left and at about 9 yards or so at 1 B-27 target I unloaded all hits with #4 shot in 1.13 seconds total time. I had a .49 first shot then, .21, .21 and .22 splits. When this thing runs it sure is nice. I guess if I remover the reaction time like some folks I had a .64 for 4 shots.

Check the following:

- check the shell stop, it may need to be lightly polished. Also make sure that mechanism is oiled
- take the rings off the piston if you haven't and clean them and the piston, this I run dry or very lightly oiled.
- finally, if I cycle (not fire) the same rounds over and over, it deforms the brass enough to where the shell stop won't release them.

Hope some of that helps.

Will it load any other 3” type shells after firing the Express Buckshot (or will it only load in the 2-3/4” shells). If that is the case I think you are right about the short stroking and that would be due to 1) possibly a rough chamber that is gripping all that extra surface area of the high brass 2) there is some obstruction in the gas ports (there are two of them), or 3) the piston is mired up with carbon and not stroking completely. I had all three of these issues (fixed 1 and 2) but I still periodically have issues with carbon fouling the piston (usually after a couple hundred rounds)… as a test if you limp wrist it when firing and it won’t eject - it definitely has a combination of these issues. I am trying different dry lubes on the gas piston area to see if that helps reduce the issue (I also polished up the piston, gas port internals and tube in the stoke area – those seemed to help).

I am assuming you didn't add any porting to the barrel...

Back