• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My .308 project

Hey guys I just got my first 100 ATR Saturday (3/14/15) and it's shooting great but as a beginner I still need tons of practice for long range shooting. But I feel like the scope the rifle came with wasn't all that great so I decided to upgrade. Along with other stuff I'm putting into the rifle it would be great to hear some opinions from you guys on my progress and what would be best for me to get/do. Chuy.
uploadfromtaptalk1426492682857.jpg

Thanks to the lazy eye sniper with the advice about the sling mount bipod I've decided to get this one. It had great reviews hope it works out.
uploadfromtaptalk1426492897156.jpeg

Lookin good so far.

Vortex makes some nice glass and that Crossfire II should be plenty of scope to get you out as far as you want to shoot...

What ammo would be good for target shooting? Right now I have a few boxes of the winchester super X power point 150 grain. For $15 a box of 20 rounds I think that's a good deal

That will depend on your rifle.

I believe the 4x4 .308 barrel has a 1:10" twist which is well suited for a variety of bullet weights. The Super X is built for taking down game, not for precision shooting but it will be fine for getting your new scope dialed in on paper. I shoot some of the power point stuff on occasion, but usually only for banging steel gongs at 300-500yd. If you're shooting for precision, for your barrel there's no better factory ammo to start with than Federal's 168 grain Gold Medal Match...

http://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...l-gold-medal-match-168-grain-bthp-ammo-gm308m

It's not cheap, but I'd suggest picking up a box to try next to your Super X. The results on target will speak for themselves. My 700 will put up consistent 1/2" and under groups at 100yd with the 168 grain Federal GMM, but I'd be lucky to hit a tennis ball two out of three times with the 150 grain power point at the same distance...

I'm not a huge fan of Winchester ammo. Aside from the SuperX shotgun ammo of years gone by. Other than that, seems that Olin has very inconsistent charges that you can actually hear the difference between shots. Especially their 22 ammo.

Federal makes good ammo, Lake city is also Federal, and Black Hills is very consistent and probably as good as you'll get without handloading yourself, but I don't think it's worth their asking price.

I don't really like the ZQI stuff that walmart sells, but for plinking ammo is alright I guess, but my gun doesn't really like it. It looks more like a shotgun pattern than a rifle group.

Wolf 308 has also performed well for me.

I got a couple packages today! Stock pouch cheek rest and my bipod
1d5f997b9962c8c800ab4d44b2367fcf.jpg

I have one of those pouches on my FAL. I put my rangefinder and some bullet drop charts in it.

That will depend on your rifle.

I believe the 4x4 .308 barrel has a 1:10" twist which is well suited for a variety of bullet weights. The Super X is built for taking down game, not for precision shooting but it will be fine for getting your new scope dialed in on paper. I shoot some of the power point stuff on occasion, but usually only for banging steel gongs at 300-500yd. If you're shooting for precision, for your barrel there's no better factory ammo to start with than Federal's 168 grain Gold Medal Match...

http://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...l-gold-medal-match-168-grain-bthp-ammo-gm308m

It's not cheap, but I'd suggest picking up a box to try next to your Super X. The results on target will speak for themselves. My 700 will put up consistent 1/2" and under groups at 100yd with the 168 grain Federal GMM, but I'd be lucky to hit a tennis ball two out of three times with the 150 grain power point at the same distance...
Yea maybe I'll get a box or 2 of that federal ammo to try it out. I'm planning on going on a hunt in the fall maybe I'll keep some of that power point winchester for that. But for now I just want to get better lol

I was wondering what you planned to do with just one ring.

Don't feel bad. I ordered 3 things from Brownells on 3/6, but it never did get here. I think their shipping dept screwed up because although they did have it marked as shipped, they didn't have any tracking info, and it never arrived either.

Let us know what you think about the Vortex. I was less than impressed with the Luepold/Redfield that I put on my Fal.

It's held zero, but does not track as it was supposed to, and I thought it would've had turret covers and that model doesn't. I'm constantly worried that I'm going to bump one of the adjustment wheels and get my scope off zero. Although in all fairness, I can instantly check the wheel and see if the witness mark is still aligned at 0, but still.

It generally gets good reviews online, but had I known what I do now, I would've went with something different.

Back