• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New AR Project...

Re: My New AR Build... (UPDATE: GEN 3)

Awesome build and tribute SNIPER !!

Well done...I'm sure your Dad will love it !

Thank you Sir,

Just one more week 'til I fly out. Should be pickin up the lower in a couple days. I'll post up pics of the laser etching when I get it...

Picked up the lower for my Pop's rifle from the engraver today and got it all put back together...

The laser etched grizzly paw logo came out perfect!

His name is also lasered just below the logo, but I removed it from the photo. I'm really lookin forward to handing it over to him...

Well, I flew out today and spent some time hangin out with the folks. Presented the rifle to my Pop a little while ago and it was the first time I've seen him speechless. He hasn't stopped smiling! We won't have a chance to shoot it until Friday, but I hope to have some range pics later this week...

:D Awesome man! Really lookin forward to some pics and hearin more!!!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Well, I flew out today and spent some time hangin out with the folks. Presented the rifle to my Pop a little while ago and it was the first time I've seen him speechless. He hasn't stopped smiling! We won't have a chance to shoot it until Friday, but I hope to have some range pics later this week...

The wait would kill me!

Yeah the wait sucks, but the only facility in town for shooting rifles is the PD training facility. It's only open to the public Thurs-Sat in the afternoon. We're headed to an indoor pistol range now though...

The laser etch really turned out great SNIPER...

Can't wait to hear the range report...and see his smilin' face !! ( don't forget the camera ) ;)

Thank you Shooter, and will do.

Hopefully they'll allow a photo at the PD range. He's still grinnin from ear to ear and has already e-mailed pics of the rifle to all his buddies. He's very proud of it...

Very nice LAZY as well as a great thing to do for a great Man!!!! Dads are the best!!! :cool:

Yes Sir, and thanks Dave.

He's done so much for me over the years and I try to give back when I can. I just like seeing that boy-ish grin on the 'ol man's face. It's priceless...

Finally got out to the range with Pop for some fun with his new AR. It was well worth the wait...

I think he likes it!

Re: My New AR Build... (UPDATE: Build 3 Complete)

Build # 3 is now complete...

Here are the specs:

Upper

•16" 1:7 Twist, Mil-spec Grade Chromoly Vanadium Barrel
•Extended M4 Feedramps
•Mil-spec Hard Chrome 5.56 NATO Chamber & Bore
•1/2x28 Muzzle Threading
•Government Barrel Profile
•Mid Length Gas System
•ST Micro Gas Block w/ .750" Diameter Gas Seat
•Barrel is HP Tested & MP Inspected
•Spike's Tactical Mil-spec M16 Bolt Carrier Group
•Bolt is shot peened, HP Tested, & MP Inspected
•Forged Mil-spec Charging Handle
•Laser Engraved T-Markings
•Mil-spec Dry film Lube inside Upper Receiver
•Spike's Tactical 10" Free-float BAR Rail
•A2 Flash Hider
•ST-T2 Tungsten Buffer
•ST 17-7 Buffer Spring

Lower

•Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging.
•Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish.
•Low Shelf for use with RDIAS
•Bullet Pictogram markings in the Safe/Semi/Auto positions (auto position is NOT functional)

LPK

•Spike's Billet Trigger guard w/Set screw
•KNS Gen II Mod II Anti-Rotation pins
•Spider Logo'd Ergo grip (Choose from Black, FDE, or OD Green)
•ST Battle trigger with Nickel Boron Coated Mil-Spec Single Stage Trigger, Disconnect, and Rounded hammer
•Ambi Safety Selector
•Mil-Spec bolt catch, mag catch, and mag catch button
•Mil-Spec detents, plungers, pins, and springs
•Quality Spiral roll pins for trigger guard and bolt catch
•Magpul B.A.D Lever

Furniture

•Magpul UBR Stock in Foliage Green
•Magpul MIAD Grip in Foliage Green
•Magpul AFG in Foliage Green
•Magpul XTM Rail Panels in Foliage Green, Black, and OD Green

Sights

•Troy flip-down Di-Optic Battlesights

Magazines

•PMAG 30 MagLevel in Foliage Green

...and more pics...

Re: New AR Build...

I've got a line out on some parts and may be starting a new project next week. This one's gonna be a rather lengthy process with a couple tax stamps involved.

I'll post back with more details as things develop...

Sorry if I ask something stupid but I am completely blind when it comes to AR variant rifles. I have a general idea of how they go together, how they work, etc... but one thing that I don't know is:

How often do they really need cleaned? It is controversial at best, but some people say after every trip to the range, after every hunting trip. I know AK's literally almost never need cleaned but aren't as accurate. Is that the trade off? Accuracy for high maintenance?

And might I say, I love the color treatment you gave the lower! Steady hand!! I would have had that thing covered haha

Edited to correct my horrible grammar haha

Compared to the AK platform, improved accuracy in an AR can be attributed in part to the tighter tolerances in design specs. With tighter tolerances comes increased susceptibility to failure due to fouling, grime, debris, etc. That being said I run solvent and a bore snake through my ARs after every range trip, but they usually only get stripped and detailed after every 500 rounds or so.

... and thanks for the compliments Sir. It's a lot easier than you might think though...

I wouldn't even want to try it! I don't exactly have a steady hand.. so it would be a disaster haha

I can understand the tolerances being the factor of greater accuracy. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it! Thanks for the info!!

Yes Sir,

Take a look on youtube for vids on color treating lowers with crayons, wax pencils, etc. Works with fingernail polish as well. You simply apply a coating over the entire area around your etched markings, then clean off the excess. Not much to it really...

lol you make is sound sooo easy! But I know it wouldn't end well for me :p the wax pencils might not be hard to get the hang of though. Green or Yellow would be a nice vibrant color for the black lower

Back