• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New AR Project...

awiner said:
Nice work LES.

I am building up a couple more AR's based on Spike's stripped lowers this week.

One with a Spike's (5.56) 16" M4 LE w/9" BAR Rail Upper

and another with a Bushmaster A2 type 20" upper (Carry handle and iron front sight)

Did you stake your castle nut at all on any of your builds?

Thank you Sir.

Lookin forward to seeing your projects come together. I have not staked any of my castle nuts and I've never had a problem with them moving on me...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks mingaa.

I shoot an old 6mp Sony Cybershot pocket camera. I mount it on a tripod and prefer natural light over artificial. Always shoot near a window and use the blinds to control the amount of light exposure. Been using Picasa for the editing...
I have a Pentax point-and-shoot from 2004 (among my weaponry!) that I still prefer for certain shooting scenarios (5 mp, 5x zoom, good glass - shoots TIFFs) - my wife prefers Picasa for most of her work. There are lots of good options out there - picking what what works for your needs is key.

My sister-in-law has a 20+ year as a metalsmith/jeweler and prefers daylight. The only shortcoming I see is that every day is not ideal. Sometimes (as an artist) I need to shoot when I need to shoot!

It's all good and your shots look great!

I don't want to speak for LES or anyone else, but I never stake the castle nut on my builds.

No real need if you torque it well.

Plus, I like to change stuff occasionally, and a staked nut just makes that more time consuming to do.

Thanks again mingaa.

John, I totally agree.

I like to leave the option open to quickly and easily swap out parts if I so choose...

Sniper...hows the crayon coloring holding up?

Holding up well.

The AR receivers don't get hot enough to melt it. Only time I've had an issue is the job I did on my XD40sc slide. It started to melt off after the first couple range trips...

That's a really nice pistol, can't wait to see what it looks like after phase 2.

That's not an option for me where I live, I'm stuck with mine in phase 1 unless they change the law here.

Got my mitts on a DPMS lower for the .22lr upper I bought a while back. Color filled the logo this afternoon with some model paint and a toothpick. Used Testors GI Sand to match with the coyote brown furniture...

very nice job LES.

testors is also my preferred colorfill.

I also like the old school coyote over the new dark earth. That's class. :cool:

Thank you Sir.

I was glad that Cav. Arms still offers the coyote furniture. It's a nice change of pace from all the FDE, but still close enough that the Magpul FDE poly trigger guard and MBUS still look good with it...

Glad it matched the trigger guard pretty good.

My old coyote furniture was a lot more "creamy" compared to fde though.

Nice work there LES. It definitely adds some noticable but not overdone detail. Did you ever think about pinstriping hot rods?

Looks great! I did my 715 with some glow in the dark paint. I'll post some pix later...

ripjack13 said:
Looks great! I did my 715 with some glow in the dark paint. I'll post some pix later...

Where did you find glow in the dark paint?

I used to have a small spray can years ago, but I haven't seen any of that in probably 5 years or more. And I'm not sure if I have ever seen glow in the dark liquid brush paint.

Back