• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New member here with intro and question

Chris C

.270 WIN
I'm new to the forum, but not new to shotguns. Back in the mid 70's I used to empty a minimum of 500 rounds a week at the local Trap Club. Shot a Remington 870TC with the most beautiful custom walnut stock and fore grip I'd ever seen. I love beautiful classic shotguns and would drool over the $5,000 and $10,000 guns some of the "ol geezers" used on the line. (those firearms are probably worth 5 times that today!)

Fast forward (is that phrase still used today?) to 2013 and I've just purchased a black, synthetic stocked Mossberg 500 with a 28" ribbed barrel. I wanted a home protection scatter-gun and this one was "new" with only 3 shells fired through it for a darned good price. Was really hoping to find a Special Purpose 500, but this one will do to get me started.

I've ordered an 18 1/2 in barrel and replaced the safety with a larger one. But here's my real problem: I need a 13 1/2 trigger pull and my tiny wife needs a 10"! I'm not a real fan of the tactical look so popular today, but I pretty much have to have an adjustable stock. Also, since she is so tiny, I'm thinking I should get something with some recoil absorbing capabilities. I ordered an ATI Scorpion Pro and have been waiting several weeks now with no word from the supplier as to when it might ship. The other night, on another forum, one of the members suggested I look at the Blackhawk Knoxx SpecOps Gen 2 Adjustable Stock. But after looking into reviews on the stock, I found a LOT of negative comments about getting kicked in the cheek. I know there are a lot of tactical stocks available, but with so many options out there, I'm overwhelmed. And I don't care to make this firearm an on-going hobby. Want to get it set up and forget it. (though I am glad to have the 28" barrel so I can, if needed, switch it out and hunt with it..............I believe times are going to get hard in the future, and it's nice to have food on the table!)

So here's what I have to consider: I'm not bothered by recoil.........my wife is. I use a 13 1/2" trigger pull..........she a 10". Weight of firearm is not a consideration for me.............but she has trouble holding a wooden stocked 10-22 out in front of her.

Any suggestions for a replacement stock.............or things to think about when looking?

,,,,another idea would be teaching her the underarm,or high tuck position. just a thought.

Attachments

• High_tuck.jpg
    High_tuck.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 363
Welcome aboard Chris!

I'm not aware of any adjustable stocks for the 500 series that'll get the LOP down to 10". Even the SpecOps stock will only get it to as low as 11.25". There is the ATI Akita stock that combines an adjustable LOP with the ergonomics of a traditional style stock, but still the LOP adjustment range is between 12 3/8" – 14 3/8"...

ATI Akita Adjustable Stock

I know Vang Comp offers a Hogue overmolded stock with an 11" LOP, but it's not adjustable and that's the shortest option that I'm aware of. Even the Mossberg factory bantam stocks are a 12" LOP. Looks like you may have to break down and buy her a 500 of her own... :D

old mossy said:
,,,,another idea would be teaching her the underarm,or high tuck position. just a thought.

You know, I never thought of that hold.............as I've never used it myself. Might just be the thing. That way I could keep the factory synthetic stock that came with the 500 to fit me. I'm happy with it as it is.................though the ATI AKITA stock is mighty nice looking.

do some reading on it ,,,,and take the mrs.out to the range. keep us posted. :)

Chris C said:
old mossy said:

You know, I never thought of that hold.............as I've never used it myself. Might just be the thing. That way I could keep the factory synthetic stock that came with the 500 to fit me. I'm happy with it as it is.................though the ATI AKITA stock is mighty nice looking.

Unless finances are an issue, I'd go with LES's suggestion (one of her own), but since you mentioned recoil as an issue for your wife, you might consider a 16 gauge. Close up HD it would do the job as well as a 12, especially if she can control it better.

GunnyGene said:
Chris C said:
old mossy said:

Unless finances are an issue, I'd go with LES's suggestion (one of her own), but since you mentioned recoil as an issue for your wife, you might consider a 16 gauge. Close up HD it would do the job as well as a 12, especially if she can control it better.

Since this is going to primarily be a home defense weapon, it will spend 99.9% of it's life leaning against the door frame of our bedroom. Hate like the devil to spend a ton of money on a firearm she's hardly ever going to shoot. I like the thought of teaching her the high tuck position with the factory stock I presently have. That way it will fit me for any use I find for it, be it tactical or hunting.

Your call of course. Just a suggestion. But if you're out hunting with it, what will be available for her? And welcome aboard. :)

She's not a hunter...........nor does she want to ever hunt. I'm not a hunter either but........... not to sound negative........ if our country goes to hell in a handbasket, as the "anointed one" wants, then hunting for food my be a requirement. So one scatter-gun is all we need at our house.

Chris C said:
She's not a hunter...........nor does she want to ever hunt. I'm not a hunter either but........... not to sound negative........ if our country goes to hell in a handbasket, as the "anointed one" wants, then hunting for food my be a requirement. So one scatter-gun is all we need at our house.

I'm assuming then that in the worst case handbasket situation you mentioned, you have some land you own, or close by, with game on it? I was thinking more along the lines of home defense while you're out getting chow if you had to go some distance for it.

Yup, Gunny, we live in the woods. Deer, turkey, quail, dove, rabbits in great abundance within 100 yards of my back door most any day of the week, year round. Wife's favorite firearm is her 10-22, on which I've installed an ATI Strikeforce stock. She loves it for plinking..............and can unload the 10 round mag in less than 3 seconds in the middle of a torso target at 50 ft with no problem. But I want her to be comfortable with the 12 gauge pump. I'll try her with the under-arm, high tuck position and see how that works for her.

High tuck ought to work for her. That was taught in the Marines more years ago than I want to think about. Pretty effective with a little practice. My wife and I also live out in the woods with a similar zoo surrounding us. No quail tho. Moved here when I retired from the corporate rat race in 2000. Sure don't miss the big city. :)

Y'all have a good life. :)

Chris, welcome from Nashville, TN.

I highly recommend the Akita. I installed it 2 weeks ago, got on the range this past Wednesday and all I can say is wow. The LOP adjusts in 1/2" increments from 12 3/8-14 3/8" and the cheek pad is adjustable so you should be able to find a position that works for you. The scorpion pad absorbs almost all of the recoil. I shot 45 slugs and 00 buck in an hour with no shoulder pain.

For your wife, I am with GunnyGene in recommending the High Tuck or the High Position by Paul Castle that is used in his C.A.R. System. I personally like the C.A.R. because it naturally aligns the barrel at chest height so you are automatically on target without much aiming. Below is a picture of the stance. Search on my name in the forum and you can find my range results shooting with this technique for the first time.

3epu5ahu.jpg

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, WolfPak. I already had that link saved because it was such a good article concerning this position. But I appreciate you realizing it would help. I also appreciate your comment about the Akita stock. If I can get my wife to learn the High Tuck, then I won't have to purchase an adjustable stock just so she can use the firearm in an emergency. I've been looking at the Akita for myself and haven't heard many comments about it.

Chris, welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your new firearm from Central PA!!

Up and until you mentioned that you don't like the tactical style guns I was going to suggest that you look into an ATI 6 Position Stock but that is blown out the window now lol... Many good ideas here and I support the Hogue 12" LOP stock as well as the High Tuck Method. I haven't shot much with the High Tuck but I have done it to toy around at the range some. I think with a good amount of practice, someone could be decently accurate with that style of hold. Not something I bet a trophy buck on, but some HD/SD distance shooting could prove successful. I am sure at some point Rossignol will join the conversation and back the Hogue 12" LOP too :D It's his thing :lol:

Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide on! :D

-Rick

Thanks for the "welcome", Rick. I had the ATI Talon Tactical Shotgun Stock for Mossberg with Scorpion Buttpad, Recoil Grip and Triton Mount on order for a month, but then someone on another forum told me what poor reviews it was getting and that I should look at the SPECOPS adjustable shotgun stock. It was late at night and I'd had a couple more "single malts" than I should have so I cancelled my order. Then I started researching both stocks. Seems the SPECOPS was beating the heck out of shooter's cheeks, and there were, in deed, many negative reviews about the Talon. So I just chilled out. Then, on this site, I started hearing about the Akita. Now THAT looks like a shotgun stock, I told myself. Did a search on this site and found a lot of information..............positive info. I'll most probably go that direction.

Now, I've been told a bunch about this High Tuck method. So I just came in from the back pasture after beating the crap out of my middle finger trying the High Tuck hold. (and I was using low brass, 1 1/8 bird loads!!) Don't think I'll ask my 89 pound wife to try that. It might not be so bad with a pistol grip on the stock, but I'm not in favor of that hold...........even for me. Couldn't hold the stock tight enough to keep from getting slammed with the trigger guard. My middle finger will never be the same..........poor little guy. Now I can't properly "salute" the "anointed one"! (well, at least for a while!)

,,,,,did you read up on the proper tuck position? if so,,,practice,practice,practice.

Sure thought I had! I held it like all the pictures in the article. My saluting finger is really talking to me right now! If I'd been wearing some sort of gripping glove like football receivers use, I probably wouldn't have had the problem. But I'd just been working on some remodeling in my kitchen and my hands were dry as a bone. No grip there. That stock just slipped through my hand and my middle finger took the brunt of the recoil..............on the back of the trigger guard.

Back