• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Nitride madness

Resizing and trimming, as far as starting with 223 cases? Or resizing factory cases?

Resizing with a factory case is simple as pulling a lever. The die does the work.

Now the cutting and full sizing of a .223 donor case ive never done firsthand. I have resized X39 brass to 6.5 Grendel though. Same body, just smaller neck size. Went very smooth.

I ordered 250 rounds of factory loads from Palmetto ammunition ($120) so I could get some brass.

I figured I've have to trim the factory cases like anyone would with 223 too. So the sizing die is all that's needed? No trimming?

^^John, you mean Palmetto State Armory? Never heard of Palmetto ammunition. I did a bunch of looking around before going the .300blk route, and I have no problems finding ammo for it whatsoever. Locally, I can't find anything but handgun and shotgun ammo, so I have to mail order ammo for the other AR anyway so it's not a big deal to me.

This is one of the things I liked about their product page:

Our brass is purchased from military auctions then sorted for foreign material and brass. It is then washed, flash dried, and prepared for our cutting process. We use a custom designed setup and process that deprimes, swages, trims, and sizes the brass to slightly under SAAMI specifications. This results in brass that can be fired and reloaded a few times before you need to be retrim (you should however always check that any brass you resize on your own meets SAAMI specs, as sizing lengthens brass). We then check, rewash, inspect, and bag our brass so its ready to reload fresh out of the bag.

This brass is primarily Lake City (LC) with the rest being made up of TAA, FC, and WCC. NATO contract brass is the go to for converted Blackout as the case walls are the proper thickness to be reformed into case necks, meaning you can load and not have chambering issues. We thoroughly inspect our brass to make sure you get a high quality product at a low price. There can be occasional minor dents and dings on the brass but that is the nature of converted military brass and anything that would be unsafe to load has been culled before packaging. Our brass is then bagged with an overage insuring you get more than you paid for every time.

Also:

http://palmettoprojectiles.com/pages/load-data

I have resized X39 brass to 6.5 Grendel though. Same body, just smaller neck size. Went very smooth.
intriguing round that Grendel ....

process for the 300....no big deal.

Cut off device, cut .223 Rem just above shoulder, run through sizing die,measure, trim, measure, set trimmer , measure and then do a mountain.
Might have to trim a couple thousands after your 8th or 9th reload.....300 is easy on brass

I'm keeping a rolling total of the weight as parts arrive.

So far,

Barrel and gas block=21.4 oz
Completed upper and gas tube = 22.3 oz

2.73 lbs so far.

300 010.JPG

If the specs are correct for the rifle length handguard I ordered, it's supposed to be 10.8 oz (with barrel nut). That totals 3.4 lbs for the complete barreled upper, then add I think about a pound for the flip sights and suppressor because I'm pretty certain I can keep the weight down under a pound there.

This is going to be a fast pointing weapon for sure.

I understand the dies and cutoff saw.

How does the trimming jig work in all this?

I'm pretty certain I can get the suppressor under a pound. Not sure if I can get it to 13 ounces, but 16 or less should be attainable.

I understand the dies and cutoff saw.

How does the trimming jig work in all this?

I'm pretty certain I can get the suppressor under a pound. Not sure if I can get it to 13 ounces, but 16 or less should be attainable.
the jig is just an easy way to throw in a 223 and have it land in the right spot for the cut every time without you thinking about it .
cant wait to see the finished product(s)

OK. I gotcha. It's for converting 223/556 brass to blackout. Not for case trimming after firing.

yes, that way you can convert some of that brass you have been saving. Just use your most undesirable case mouth cases because they are going to be cut off anyway.
A lot of blk shooters get free brass because it is too thrashed to reload 556, like stepped on at the range or nicked case mouths

for trimming after fire just use a standard trim lathe.....or a device like the Little Crow Gun Works WFT, my new favorite.

for the factory rounds you buy, just measure the case after you do the deprime/size stroke on the press.

1.fire
2.clean brass
3.inspect for cracks
4.lube case, a couple techniques there
5.set up die per instructions in die box
7.insert brass and run up into die, primer falls out and the case is squeezed to shape, shoulder reshaped
8.depending on press you reprime on the next stroke and the expander ball expands the neck to receive another projo

as you fire the brass case expands and "flows" aft and fro filling the chamber.
as you do step 7 and 8 the die takes the brass that flowed up the chamber, shoulder and neck , and pushes it back into shape. This process leaves the brass in a stretched state, this is when you want to measure and trim to spec because no other time in the life of the case it will happen again till its fired.
If you trim to the low end of the spec it will be quite some time before you trim again. The blk will be easy on brass so it wont harden and crack as fast.

Still waiting on the handguard to get this upper together. According to the tracking number, it has homesteaded in Atlanta, GA for the last several days. If it's not in Mondays mail, I'll call my local postmaster to see if they can do anything to shake it loose. This is really starting to tick me off. I'm ready to get this done.

In other news, I also cancelled the order from Palmetto Munitions. They told me it would ship last Friday, 8 days later, still not shipped, so I cancelled altogether and bought a couple hundred Federal American Eagle 300 AAC Blackout Ammo 220 Grain Subsonic OTM. Most places I was seeing this ammo online was over $20 a box, but Target Sports had them for $15 a box, so based on the decision between Federal or Remington UMC for the same price, I got the Federal.

This was more than the Palmetto Ammunitions, but if they're going to miss two shipping deadlines, doesn't matter how cheap they are if I never get them in my grubby hands.

Buying the Federals should get me some good brass and let me get started reloading at a reduced cost in the future. I must admit that I am looking most forward to Alexander Arms projectiles being released sometime in the future.

OK, two quick updates.

The 2nd handguard and the Federal ammo are both scheduled to be delivered today and are on trucks for delivery as I type this, so maybe I can finally get this build behind me.

The clowns where I ordered the first handgaurd from ebay (*Yeah, I should've known better) are trying to weasel out of giving me a refund asking me to wait longer. To which I have bluntly told them I'm no longer interested in waiting more and the ship has already sailed. Not that I ever expect that I will ever get the original handguard. It hasn't moved in over a week from Atlanta, GA, so I think someone in the sorting room got sticky fingers. But I digress, that is pure speculation on my part. I have filed a dispute with ebay, and they won't have much other choice than to cover it with their money back guarantee seeing how I never got it, so it's only a matter of time before that is resolved.

So with any luck, maybe I can get this show on the road this evening.

I will be using my first f1 suppressor in the meantime while waiting on the NFA branch to approve the new shorter and lighter one I plan to build later this year. I can hoss the old one around out of convenience until I get the new paperwork back. I should be able to shoot supers and subs out of it anyway.

Maybe I can even get some groups and testing on paper to see what I should expect POA/POI to be between going from sub to super too because that was one of my main questions.

John, skip eBay and go straight to PP to file that complaint. The only two times I've ever had to do so, I had a judgment in less than 24 hours. Best of luck on the rest of your stuff getting to you, can't wait to see how she performs.

I don't know how to file a dispute with paypal.

Though I'd be interested. Just send me a PM if you get a few free minutes.

Back