• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Nitride madness

Did some testing.

As Oli700 suspected, I checked a few of the factory Federal American Eagle suppressor loads.

They are a touch fast.

shot 1 1075
shot 2 1061
shot 3 1114
shot 4 1086

Here are the results of the handloads.

10.0 gr

shot 1 995
shot 2 984

10.2 gr

shot 1 1024
shot 2 1048
shot 3 1041
shot 4 1050

Looks like I'll be sticking with 10.2 gr charge for this particular combo. It is a little gassy though. Maybe the H4198 won't be as smokey. I'll try them next. But not entirely sure when that'll be.

Thank you for the compliment.

And thank you for all of the extensive advice and help in getting to this point.

I was able to get a jig and a saw last month to cut the 223 cases down and to resize them into BLK/Whisper brass which is going well so far.

Now I just have to wait on a WFT case trimmer to arrive this month to ensure the neck is trimmed perfectly straight (It's really close to that now but wouldn't hurt to hit it a few seconds for good measure).

I'm slowly getting into this, but am having to stretch everything out over time.

300 blk case conversion 003.JPG

OEM blackout case on the left, 223 converted case on the right
300 blk case conversion 006.JPG

so easy just to flip over a case your already dealing with and swipe off the primer crimp isn't it ?.....saved some bucks you did, wise man you are

your going to love the WTF

Loving your progress !

Yes, that was a lot less expensive than the Dillon 600 Swager. I think I paid about $15 for the VLD chamfer tool. And as you promised, isn't difficult or very time consuming to do. Turn it maybe 6 times to remove the primer crimp wasn't as bad as I expected the step would be. It reminds me of using a coring tool on Trunk/Feeder main line cable. I even thought about unscrewing the cutter tip from the handle and cutting a piece of old cleaning rod and putting it in my cordless drill to save even more effort for that step.

The swaging tool also helps when seating those big powder coated cast bullets too so I am not having to run the brass through an expanding die, which I hope will help prolong the life of them some.

The WFT neck trimmer will make life easier though. I don't like the price of it, but I can also buy other inserts for 223 and other calibers as I move into them. My drill press is straight to the left of my reloading equipment, and that's how I intend to use it. Just chuck it up and set a cardboard box beside of it and go through whatever cases I have ready to trim to help streamline the process some.

To start off, I'm going to convert about 250 cases over to blackout to start building up my shooting ammo for it. I bought about 200 factory loads when I first built the upper and I haven't went through all of it yet and have been reloading the 60 or so empties when I'm checking velocities and sound levels, etc. Matter of fact, I have a handful of bullets already in a mag with H4198 this time to see how they do, but I've had too much on my plate to go test them yet.

Any suggestions for sizing the brass? I've already had 1 stuck case in the die where I had to take it apart once after about the 15th case I did.

I'm using plenty of case lube, but the depriming rod still doesn't like coming back up through the neck without considerable effort and wants to pull it out regardless of how tight I tighten it.

It may just be the nature of the beast with these considering that it is forming the neck entirely instead of simply resizing them as before.

And not that it probably matters, but I'm using a Lee carbide die set.

It reminds me of using a coring tool on Trunk/Feeder main line cable.
The WFT neck trimmer will make life easier though. I don't like the price of it, but I can also buy other inserts for 223 and other calibers as I move into them.
that is so funny, I take myself back to when I worked at the gun shop, I did so much repetitive, little steps......I trim flip and turn.....I would remind myself that this is just one day , I used to do day after day at the shop

Go price a nice lathe from Redding or something , price the collits, pilot guides...........WTF doesn't look so bad, once you use it.......you will never think of the price again.......but you haven't used a lathe for a long period.
If you still don't like the price, use a late for 4 hours, you will never think of the price again for sure after that

Any suggestions for sizing the brass? I've already had 1 stuck case in the die where I had to take it apart once after about the 15th case I did.

I'm using plenty of case lube, but the depriming rod still doesn't like coming back up through the neck without considerable effort and wants to pull it out regardless of how tight I tighten it.

It may just be the nature of the beast with these considering that it is forming the neck entirely instead of simply resizing them as before.

And not that it probably matters, but I'm using a Lee carbide die set.
not sure, never done that move. I would assume it still stands to reason, you dont have enough lube in the right places. You may need to get more in the neck than you think.
The more you have to use , consider a tumbling after the resizing to remove excess lube......that is something I haven't done either. I have never seen the need for myself and my ammo shoots dandy , never a misfire

Thank you.

I've stuck the necks physically down in the oil lube all the way up to about where the shoulder is going to be just before resizing. That's when I had the stuck case.

Then after I had it all apart, I wiped wax lube on the depriming/sizing bar that goes down through the die itself and helps form the neck. That works pretty good for about 5-8 cases before it starts to get pretty hard to do again.

I may call Lee and see what they say.

Thank you.

I've stuck the necks physically down in the oil lube all the way up to about where the shoulder is going to be just before resizing. That's when I had the stuck case.

Then after I had it all apart, I wiped wax lube on the depriming/sizing bar that goes down through the die itself and helps form the neck. That works pretty good for about 5-8 cases before it starts to get pretty hard to do again.

I may call Lee and see what they say.
yeah, a call wouldn't hurt........reforming brass is got to be a tougher step than just a resize though

A lot of long time reloaders use Imperial Sizing Wax and swear by it for real heavy case use like resizing 300win mag brass

I think Dave loves the Wax, might pick at him about it if you want to know more

Thanks Oli.

I ordered some of the imperial sizing wax as I was getting some bullets from natchez for the 45acp (did I mention, I am loving that gun?), though I have a big tub of the Hornady Unique case lube wax that I am using right now for forming the cases. It looks like a milky wax and kinda like a thick Crisco or lard.

As for just depriming and resizing already formed cases, I have a bottle of rcbs case lube 2 oil that I have some squirted in a ziplock and let the cases roll around in it as I am working the cases up. I'm pretty sure that's what and how you recommended doing when I was first starting to ask questions about reloading rifle cartridges a year ago. That method is working extremely well. I've only used a few squirts of lube and the inside of the ziplock is still well coated with it. That little bottle of oil may last for a couple of years.

But for actually forming this brass from 223 cases, I am using the hornady wax lube and dipping the necks down into the tub so I can get inside and out. When I didn't have the decapper rod itself out and lubed it with the wax. That really helped smooth it up for a few passes, but is pretty stiff again after about 8 cases run through.

As for just depriming and resizing already formed cases, I have a bottle of rcbs case lube 2 oil that I have some squirted in a ziplock and let the cases roll around in it as I am working the cases up. I'm pretty sure that's what and how you recommended doing when I was first starting to ask questions about reloading rifle cartridges a year ago. That method is working extremely well. I've only used a few squirts of lube and the inside of the ziplock is still well coated with it. That little bottle of oil may last for a couple of years.
yes my friend, Its all I do now......between all the little things I have started doing with case prep, case prep not as big a deal as it can be made into......as long as I am not noticing any loss in performance of my rounds I'll try new or outside the box ideas , keep the ones I like , get rid of the rest

Back