• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question with pics

NCMAV88

.270 WIN
vute3asu.jpg

So here is my 500AG that cost me $80. When I got it home I realized that the barrel had been very poorly cut down so I got rid of it and put the extra barrel I already had for my maverick 88 on it. It does have an issue though. There is a pretty ugly scratch on the side of the reciever. Almost looks like somebody took a dremel to it. I have had it covered up with a piece of tape to keep it from rusting. Anybody have any ideas as to how I can go about fixing it?

Here's the scratch.

ru2yha8e.jpg

sepu6a4e.jpg

What do y'all think?

Ok. Well then I was thinking about just sanding it smooth and filling in with black marker or something. I had also thought about filling it in with some kind of epoxy or something and then having the receiver dipped.

Is it a scratch or a crack? It looks dented too, I would check the inside area of that scratch to make sure the metal is still structurally sound. If just a scratch maybe just strip it down, sand it up a little, maybe just the edges to blend it back in, then dip/paint or whatever.

I am pretty sure it is not cracked. It seriously looks like somebody was cutting something with a dremel and hit it by accident. And I know the metal is good due to I have fire this weapon several times.

Well then strip it down, sand the scratch down, kind of feather the edges so it's not a prominent, then paint it back up. If you do it right you'll never know it was there!

I had a scratch on one of my 500's receiver.
Sprayed it Rustoleum Flat Black.
Looks fine.

When you say "strip it down" what are you referring to? I don't want to remove the blueing right?

When you say "strip it down" what are you referring to? I don't want to remove the blueing right?

I don't think it is bluing, probably anodizing or paint. Just take a Sharpie, color it in and be done with it! ;) I mean, whatdayawant for 8D bux? :D

No I got rid of it. Idk what they used to cut it but it was a horrible job. The cut was all hacked up and then they globbed black paint on it. It looked horrible. Idk how I didn't notice it the first time.

I hate to admit it but I kinda panicked and threw it as far as I could into the woods behind my house. Even if I could find it now it is probably rusted all to crap so it would be worthless. But I might just have to go look for it just to see. If it is salvageable I could probably cut it down properly and mount a sight bead on it. Then I would have the 18.5" barrel I want.

If you do find it and decide to cut it there are a some good posts here on cutting a barrel.;)

Yeah I am already watching videos on YouTube about it. I think I will be stomping into the woods tomorrow after work! ;)

If I am able to find it I am guessing that the inside of the barrel is going to be extremely rusted. At what point do you guys think the barrel would be to far gone to try and salvage? I mean I'm talking about 18.5" for home defense. Not like I'm gonna be looking for pin point accuracy!

How long is it in the woods?

I'd take some scotch brite on a drill and just polish it up a bit. Like you said good for HD.:)

Ok so according to the wife it has probably been over two years because she swears I had that shotgun before we got married and we have been married for just over two years! :eek:

Back