• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Short Barreled Shotgun-The 500SBS

old mossy said:
AK, i got this on my bucket list,,,,

HOW DARE YOU POST AN 870 IN MY THREAD!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

These would be sweet to conceal or just carry around! Talking about 870's... it seems like there's a much bigger market for SBS 870's vs Mossbergs... wonder why?

aksavanaman said:
old mossy said:
AK, i got this on my bucket list,,,,

HOW DARE YOU POST AN 870 IN MY THREAD!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

These would be sweet to conceal or just carry around! Talking about 870's... it seems like there's a much bigger market for SBS 870's vs Mossbergs... wonder why?

of coarse mine would be a mossy. :D

I will wash the 870 eye bleach out of this thread.. :lol:
ibm17XYzmbyJ6M.jpg

ivsckmLbRU03q.jpg

ixrzzqoDQ19as.jpg

lB5ZTEwkVLExR

igN8uRTHXZ8La.jpg

iBmQWsRrETTAM.jpg

iCrp04dNyTjWo.jpg

My 590a1 SBS
ibrctlErzwyQem.jpg

My eyes can rest easy again :) , those aren't all your are they Kentucky? So now I really wonder, has anyone seen a 500 modified in the same way as the 590a1 14"'rs ??? I've seen lots of pics of super shorty 500's but not middle of the pack, like I said...this just might have to be done for the sheer sake of it!

aksavanaman said:
My eyes can rest easy again :) , those aren't all your are they Kentucky? So now I really wonder, has anyone seen a 500 modified in the same way as the 590a1 14"'rs ??? I've seen lots of pics of super shorty 500's but not middle of the pack, like I said...this just might have to be done for the sheer sake of it!
No Only the last one is mine. I have never seen a 14" 500, but it would be a good project to do. I am working on a 10" 590a1 currently.. It just takes the right tools and patience. I was thinking or doing the 500 in 10" but the 590/835 mag tube is so much easier to cut and thread than redo the 500 crimped end cap. I think you should do it.

aksavanaman said:
Lol, look at that peer pressure... alright, I'll do it cause Kentucky said so :D

Attachments

• HeMadeMeDoIt_ARRT.jpg
    HeMadeMeDoIt_ARRT.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 223
So I just thought about this....

According to the ATF I would have to notify them any time I change address or leave the state right? Well, being in the Military... it's pretty inevitable that I'll be leaving the state at some point (although I'll try my best to stay :D ) And what if I transfer to a state that doesn't allow SBS's? Could I just slap on a non NFA barrel (the receiver will still be registered) and be legal to use the shotgun?

The NFA branch could better answer your question, but I THINK that once an NFA, always an NFA, regardless of barrel length.

You can store it at a location where NFA is legal as long as no one can access it but you. I can't remember what form number it is you fill out when you're moving.

I do not know if a trigger guard lock would suffice or not, but it is a question I'd ask the NFA branch when you called to ask questions.

I would be fine just leaving it locked and at my house if I happened to get stationed in a state that doesn't allow SBS... I just don't want to the ATF to come by and say you're SBS is not legal in this state why do you have it. I guess I'll have to call the ATF and get some clarification. Mhhh I wonder if a trust would be easier in the long run for my situation.

Likely, that way you could designate someone else as a trustee to be in possession of it in your absence while you're in a bad state.

parent, sibling, etc.

KentuckyWindage said:
I will wash the 870 eye bleach out of this thread.. :lol:
ibm17XYzmbyJ6M.jpg
All those guns look badass, but this one is the sexiest, may due to its color.

aksavanaman said:
Mhhh dreams, I've only seen one AK type shotgun for sale around, and he was asking $1400... maybe I can find the dude that bought it and take it from him when the Zombies come :lol:

Yeah, the one i was referring to isnt an ak type shotgun, still made in russia though. And i found the second one ive seen here on a local guntrader site for $400, so its not that expensive

izh81-1.gif

317467_01_rare_russian_baikal_izh_81_km__640.jpg

ivanshammer.jpg

Did some research and called ATF... I knew it wouldn't be as easy as 1 2 3 done. In the event of me being stationed in a state that does not allow Short Barrel Shotguns (or other NFA firearms), the transfer request I'd legally have to fill out to notify the ATF, would not be approved. If I decide to NOT go the "Firearms Trust" route, this would mean I cannot (legally) move the firearm from Alaska, nor could I leave it with someone. So... I've got a couple of options. Either I wait until next year (I'll know in January where my next duty station will be, hopefully another unit in AK) to complete the process OR I go through the legal hoops to obtain a firearm trust, this way I could xfer or leave the SBS with someone during my tour. Not giving up... It's just good to think about before hand... this way I'm not stuck with an SBS I can't take anywhere. Who want's to be on my trust???? I'll just send her on over when the time comes :D

You should be allowed to ship it to anyone that is listed on your trust, as long as it is legal in their state (most states allow SBS).

The gun doesn't have to stay in AK.

........... and why I brought up the concept of considering a trust earlier on in this thread.

I know its more money up front for a trust but it really does make more sense in your situation. It will be safer than a possible trip to club fed and I think being in active service with the DOD that wouldn't bode well either. I'm sure you wouldn't want any thing short of an honorable discharge. I know I wouldn't.

But if you need a qualified trustee or two to love and nuture your creation in your absence I'm sure we can find some folks around here willing to babysit. :lol:

jgwills said:
........... and why I brought up the concept of considering a trust earlier on in this thread.

I know its more money up front for a trust but it really does make more sense in your situation. It will be safer than a possible trip to club fed and I think being in active service with the DOD that wouldn't bode well either. I'm sure you wouldn't want any thing short of an honorable discharge. I know I wouldn't.

But if you need a qualified trustee or two to love and nuture your creation in your absence I'm sure we can find some folks around here willing to babysit. :lol:

Trust's did come up as one of the first links as I was researching NFA stuff, and I apologize for not giving it more thought earlier. I'll try our legal guys on base first, I know he's a civilian and if he can't do it, he could at least point me in the right direction.

AK send her over,,,,you can visit anytime. :D

Attachments

• 83877092.jpg
    83877092.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 168
Thanks or posting such a flattering picture of me! I just love the contrast of that orange and black ;)

500px-Mossberg500_Less_Lethal.jpg

Totally unrelated but orange and black reminds me of the less lethal camo scheme available.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread now.

Back