• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Updated: MRE Meal Review Return of Itsricmo!

Itsricmo

.30-06
EDIT:
Page 7:
Carrot Pound Cake

Page 8:
Garlic Herb Chicken Breast
Italian Bread Sticks

Well, I've been dormant for far too long. I miss the forums and the people here! Well guess what..... I'M BACK! :)

Downloaded Tapatalk (due to the lack of a laptop/desktop) for my phone so I can be back in action lol In my return I have ordered some MRE entrees and desserts to try out and figured I'd share my experiences with you all! I have tried Chicken Noodle already and it's here on the forums somewhere... this little trial has been in the making for months.

List of what I bought:
ce163ad91d925424a881ba09480ed37f.jpg

Now the wait for it to be delivered begins >:)

Last edited:
Downloaded Tapatalk (due to the lack of a laptop/desktop) for my phone so I can be back in action

Dude...with this new software for the website, tapatalk is not really needed. Unless it's a personal preference.

Dude...with this new software for the website, tapatalk is not really needed. Unless it's a personal preference.

I still use it a lot just because I keep bouncing back and forth between multiple forums that only work well in TapaTalk and I'ts just easier to view stuff through there, just a convenience thing. But I agree, that the web version is much more user friendly than the old version.

Welcome back Rick!! Missed you here on the forums My Brother!!!

I have never eaten an MRE so I am quite interested in hearing your reviews.

Thanks for the warm welcome back, everyone!

@Ripjack I did notice a new mobile version of the forums but like Mike said, I'm flipping through a few forums. Mostly their "for sale" sections.. my mother in law bought me a Banshee Plate Carrier for my Birthday and I'm looking for pouches and plates haha As for Brad, I'm working on him.. I know he would like to be back in the saddle but doesn't have too much spare time.

@carbinemike The MREs are actually going to be a part of my SHTF carrier.. what good are you going to be in a fight if you're starving and away from home? Plan on keeping a few in a General Purpose/Admin pouch or tucked in with my hydration carrier. Also, the Pound Cake is low enough in calories it will make a good snack for my rail travels :)

I got the heaters to keep it legit, because I won't be able to use a microwave in the field lol Should I use photos or YouTube to do the reviews?

All of it is going to taste good. I used to buy MRE's for my hiking trips until I started going ultra light and got into dehydrating my own meals and getting freeze dried meals. Leaves more room and weight for ammo <wink>

All of it is going to taste good. I used to buy MRE's for my hiking trips until I started going ultra light and got into dehydrating my own meals and getting freeze dried meals. Leaves more room and weight for ammo <wink>
I thought about that but I hate having to make a heat source to heat the water to make the foods... I looked for Cold Weather Meals, you just add water and it heats itself. But they're are either REALLY expensive or impossible to acquire otherwise. I'm only talking heaters, entree and dessert. Not an entire MRE meal pack lol probably 1 or 2 lbs at the most. The "ready to eat right this very second" out weighs the weight factor personally..

I thought about that but I hate having to make a heat source to heat the water to make the foods... I looked for Cold Weather Meals, you just add water and it heats itself. But they're are either REALLY expensive or impossible to acquire otherwise. I'm only talking heaters, entree and dessert. Not an entire MRE meal pack lol probably 1 or 2 lbs at the most. The "ready to eat right this very second" out weighs the weight factor personally..

It takes a little refinement but a soda can stove, 4 oz of denature alcohol, beer can pot, and a zip lock container with reflective bubble wrap can basically cook any freeze dried/dehydrated meal in any weather condition. And can do so with stealth (no carbon print, no smoke). I've hiked from 95*F to 3*F.

You say the weight factor isn't an issue but humping the backwoods for extended periods of time can definitely put a hurting on you. Count your pack in ounces not pounds. You'll double your miles and half the wear and tear. Except for Oli... apparently that man is a beast in the woods. He does fight Mother Nature for a living.

Dude, I thought you were in jail......Vanilla Pound Cake would be a great jail handle for ya !
Hahaha I'm crying from laughter hahahaha

I just took an extended hiatus that's all. Had some of life's obstacles getting in my way and they needed knocked down. I left the forums in good hands :)

As for Water Monkey.. In place of all that random stuff, the time to set up and cook a freeze dried meal.. I can whip out a heater, squirt a little water from my Rez into it and place the entree in for heating or just rip the bigger open and eat. In place of said backwoods equipment I can put 2 mre entrees in the same amount of space. I understand in SHTF that stuff should be laying around but I'd rather save time and situational awareness by having the meal ready to eat.. fancy that, MRE ;)

I'm hoping to stay "local" and not relocate across state or intra state. Haha I'm also 22 (soon 23) and in what I consider good - very good physical shape. Working on my endurance and cardio every day.

As for Water Monkey.. In place of all that random stuff, the time to set up and cook a freeze dried meal.. I can whip out a heater, squirt a little water from my Rez into it and place the entree in for heating or just rip the bigger open and eat. In place of said backwoods equipment I can put 2 mre entrees in the same amount of space. I understand in SHTF that stuff should be laying around but I'd rather save time and situational awareness by having the meal ready to eat.. fancy that, MRE ;)

For the weight one of your MRE I can have 3x the food and extend the trail mileage and time out in the woods before resupply. And for a bug out bag you'll want something to cook in once you run out of food anyway and the entire cook kit consolidates into one item that fits on an outer pocket.

As far as cardio... before my injury I was running 2.2 - 2.5 miles a day as a warm up and squatting 480lbs while I weighed 155lbs. And I still went ultra light. My entire pack weight for a 5 day hike (with no re-supply) was running under 25lbs fully equipped. I should be back to that shape by the end of this year (crosses fingers)

You're young you'll figure it out ;)

For the weight one of your MRE I can have 3x the food and extend the trail mileage and time out in the woods before resupply. And for a bug out bag you'll want something to cook in once you run out of food anyway and the entire cook kit consolidates into one item that fits on an outer pocket.

As far as cardio... before my injury I was running 2.2 - 2.5 miles a day as a warm up and squatting 480lbs while I weighed 155lbs. And I still went ultra light. My entire pack weight for a 5 day hike (with no re-supply) was running under 25lbs fully equipped. I should be back to that shape by the end of this year (crosses fingers)

You're young you'll figure it out ;)
I'm also very impatient hahah
I still feel the MRE is going to be my go to vs having to prepare my food. I could see having such items at a cache site or similar "objective point" but if I'm out hiking around, weapon at low ready (anticipation of anything/anyone)... I'd prefer to maintain my "situational awareness" (my company preaches his for some reason lol) and not be distracted by the tedious task of meal prep [emoji12]

There are absolutely perks to your method vs mine, I won't argue that. Perhaps time will tell if they will blend into my purpose

make sure you are really hungry before you try to enjoy it....., I've eaten 100's.....they keep you alive that's about it.
I know people who are MRE experts though and make all kinds of makeshift decent food out of them.
As far as instant.....they aren't any faster than a jet boil and dehydrated food because the heater takes a while to penetrate the packaging and the food......knead it , knead it good it helps the stuff that did get warm mix with the stuff that will never get warm.
That breakfast gravy is one of the top 5 most disgusting in my book followed very closely by the taco filling

I'm also very impatient hahah
I still feel the MRE is going to be my go to vs having to prepare my food. I could see having such items at a cache site or similar "objective point" but if I'm out hiking around, weapon at low ready (anticipation of anything/anyone)... I'd prefer to maintain my "situational awareness" (my company preaches his for some reason lol) and not be distracted by the tedious task of meal prep [emoji12]

There are absolutely perks to your method vs mine, I won't argue that. Perhaps time will tell if they will blend into my purpose

Meal prep isn't as tedious as you're thinking. Set up stove (1 min), boil water (5-10 min depending on conditions) <no constant watching>, dump in dehydrated food and wait 10-15 min for hydration to occur.

Your total baby sit time between set up till eating is probably 5 min of actual attention to it. You'll be situationally aware. You'll be less situationally aware and more vulnerable taking a dump in the woods than you would be prepping a dehydrated meal lol. That reminds me… pack TP LMAO.

To be honest I started out EXACTLY as you are starting out right now. My method changed dramatically when I started to put it into practice and humping out into the woods with a 40lbs pack up a mountain for a 10 mile round trip. After that day I was determined to find a better way. I usually hike 50-150 miles when I decide to go for a stroll so I'm hitting you with some actual long distance hiking experience. When you're ready to lighten up give me a holla I'll be more than happy to help you out.

make sure you are really hungry before you try to enjoy it....., I've eaten 100's.....they keep you alive that's about it.
I know people who are MRE experts though and make all kinds of makeshift decent food out of them.
As far as instant.....they aren't any faster than a jet boil and dehydrated food because the heater takes a while to penetrate the packaging and the food......knead it , knead it good it helps the stuff that did get warm mix with the stuff that will never get warm.
That breakfast gravy is one of the top 5 most disgusting in my book followed very closely by the taco filling

I've had a few MREs I've really liked. But the quality of dehydrated and freeze dried food blew it out of the box.

I've had a few MREs I've really liked. But the quality of dehydrated and freeze dried food blew it out of the box.
me too, Southwest Black Bean is my fav.....but yeah not in the same league as freeze dried. Had some Mountain House for a couple days in AK.....the switch back to MRE was very noticeable

MRE is only a short term substitute for not being able to hunt or fish well.

Welcome back. ;)

Back