• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Video: Detailed Review of 590A1

Wow thanks Rossignol! Very good info. Makes me rethink the whole single point sling adapter for my mossberg entirely.

sure thing man, just tryin to throw my hat in to help where I'm able.

Water Monkey said:
Wow thanks Rossignol! Very good info. Makes me rethink the whole single point sling adapter for my mossberg entirely.
Yeah he is 100% right, don't go down that road, you will only be disappointed. Been there and done that.

I don't know why a sling plate hasn't been designed using stteel, either stamped or machined, that is thinner like the GG&G front magazine mount adapter. Its much thinner, maybe an 1/8", and would still allow for the lug on the receiver (actually an extension of the trigger group) to mate to the stock.

It woul also have to have the sling attatchment point lower and not lookin like an ear stickin up. I shoot both eyes open and the taller profile SAP interferes with my sight picture.

If such a thing existed, id buy it for sure. Seems like a common sense thing and I have no idea why this hasn't been introduced to the market. I can't be the only one who has gone through this and experienced these circumstances and has seen a need for a better design.

Sorry to run off topic here...

Rossignol said:
I too had problems when I added a receiver end plate sling adapter.

I used the ERGO ambi sling plate, also about 1/4" thick. I used mine with the Hogue short LOP which uses the factory stock bolt, but still had to do like wise and go to the hardware store for a longer bolt to use the sling plate.

Using the sling plate introduced another issue however. Well, a couple issues, one compounded by the other. You know the lug on the bottom of the receiver that sticks out to mate up with the notch in the stock? When you add the sling plate, this lug thingy becomes useless and no longer mates to the stock at all, which introduces the first problem. Stock twist. I know not everyone experiences the stock twist, but it was a problem for me. The stock would rotate on the bolt axis, so I fgured it simply needed to be tightened. This is where the second problem begins. The receiver of the 590A1 is an aluminum alloy and softer than the steel bolt, so over tightening could result in stripping the threads out of the receiver. (Parenthetically speaking here, Remington has a clear advantage having an all steel receiver).

I never could (safely) tighten my stock bolt so it wouldn't rotate. I would get it very very snug, to the point I felt anymore may very well strip it out. It was tight, but I could still feel the give in the threads and I wasn't willing to risk any more. If it were steel, you could torque it down pretty hard and it would crush plastic in the stock before damaging threads.

While I liked the ERGO plate, I removed it in the long run for the reasons listed above. I decided on the Specter Gear sling and stock adapter if I would want a sling on it.

I hear you on the stock twist. i'm thinking i might try a lock washer or some sort of plastic "tube" that i could put in the stock that would crush or warp and keep the tension on the bolt. i'll keep you guys posted cuz i loved having the single point sling even though it was only semi mounted for like 30 min! there has to be a solution here. thanks again guys!

Water Monkey said:
ManGoat said:
as long as i am here, i have a speedfeed stock on my 590a1 and i'm trying to put a single point sling mount plate from GG&G on it as well. problem, the bolt that runs through the stock and into the back of the receiver isn't long enough to go through the mounting plate as well. i couldn't find a longer bolt at the local hardware store to replace the stock one. it only needs to be like 1/4" longer to make up for the thickness of the plate. i did buy a 5/16 threaded rod and i'm trying to rig it to fit. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey ManGoat,

First, I really appreciate your support on my video and I'm glad it was able to help you out in any way!

Second, It saddens me that you also had a similar issue with your shotgun because that means it may be an ongoing QC issue with the 590A1 series. The good thing is its a quick fix however many new gun owners may not be quite as knowledgable on how the shotgun works to fix it.

Third, unfortunately I can not help you on the GG&G sling adapter as I dont have any experience on it. The 590A1 is my HD shotgun so I dont put a sling on it. However I was thinking about putting the adapter on down the road so this does bump my concern up.

I wouldnt think that the particular stock should effect how the bolt sets in the receiver. How about taking out the washer? Perhaps that would add a little bit of length.

how bad was the damage to the rail on your front end? i saw the pic you posted in the video and my wear isn't nearly as bad because it only started yesterday and i stopped firing as soon as it wouldn't cycle. is it absolutely necessary to replace my front end? there is only a little marring on that notch on the rail. i'm def getting a new cartridge interrupter but i'd rather not spend the money on a new front end if i don't have too.

watermonkey,

that was just what i needed to completely dissasemble my 590.
been wanting to do it just for bacsic cleaning, and didnt really know what the hell i was doing when i took her apart the other day, but it was just a field strip, and YES the triger housing got me too :lol: , but i eventually got it and now i can take her fully apart for a good cleaning when i get a few more rounds thru her....only about 100 so far.....

thanks bro for the how-to-video it was awesome...... :cool:

stigmata said:
watermonkey,

that was just what i needed to completely dissasemble my 590.
been wanting to do it just for bacsic cleaning, and didnt really know what the hell i was doing when i took her apart the other day, but it was just a field strip, and YES the triger housing got me too :lol: , but i eventually got it and now i can take her fully apart for a good cleaning when i get a few more rounds thru her....only about 100 so far.....

thanks bro for the how-to-video it was awesome...... :cool:

Awesome man glad it helped!

Thank you!!!! As a new 500 owner, I plan on having this video right next to me as I do my first disassemble and clean.

My thanks to RaulPerez1 (Water Monkey)?
I thought I wanted the 51660 9-shot. After watching RaulPerez1's multiple reviews of HD configurations on youtube that included his significant other, I reconsidered and went with the 51517 6-shot with GRS from BudsGunShop.com. I want my wife and daughter to be able to handle it too.

I just got the tracking number from Buds today so it is on the way to my local FFL dealer for transfer.
Also on the way is a BlackHawk Knox Gen II Spec Ops stock. I see some bad reviews but will keep the group informed of any problems. I'll also provide before/after pics once I get this stuff.

Welcome aboard Sir and congrats on the new 'a1'!

Keep us posted for sure. We definitely need some more GenII owners on board to get us over the structural integrity issues from the first wave that shipped. I just saw another new member today that posted a favorable review of his GenII SpecOps, so we hope Blackhawk has fixed the problem and you have a good experience as well...

Wackostu said:
Thank you!!!! As a new 500 owner, I plan on having this video right next to me as I do my first disassemble and clean.

Glad it helps!

jmason said:
My thanks to RaulPerez1 (Water Monkey)?
I thought I wanted the 51660 9-shot. After watching RaulPerez1's multiple reviews of HD configurations on youtube that included his significant other, I reconsidered and went with the 51517 6-shot with GRS from BudsGunShop.com. I want my wife and daughter to be able to handle it too.

I just got the tracking number from Buds today so it is on the way to my local FFL dealer for transfer.
Also on the way is a BlackHawk Knox Gen II Spec Ops stock. I see some bad reviews but will keep the group informed of any problems. I'll also provide before/after pics once I get this stuff.

Glad it helps... make sure that front sight isnt canted and be aware of that cartridge stopper issue. Seems to be more prevalent lately!!! Easy fix is to just bend it back a little bit.

Get those who are charged with defense to the range as often as you can and get dummy rounds to train at home.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Got my 590A1 51517 from my preferred FFL last night.
BudsGunShop delivered as promised. I inspected before accepting the transfer and found no problems. Paid particular attention to bending of the front sight.
It is tight and mean! A great choice. You guys should get a bonus from Mossberg!

I wish I could bottle the smell of opening up the factory fresh box of a brand new 590A1!

Pictures to follow once I figure out how to load them....

You mentioned in the video the differences between the 500 and 590 series.

From my understanding one of the major differences is in the receiver.

The 500 uses a lighter weight aluminum receiver whereas the 590 is steel.

awiner said:

I do not believe that is the case.

Remmington I believe uses a steel receiver but I believe Mossberg uses aluminum receiver.

590 main differences between the 500 are the thicker barrel and metal trigger housing.

If you have a documented link to prove otherwise I will gladly modify my video so it is as accurate as possible.

awiner said:

Within their respective gauges, model 500/505/510/535/590/590a1/835, etc. receivers are all the same.

...and they're all aluminum...

Yup, I'll second or third the notion of the aluminum receiver. I'll go further and say from my research its an aluminum alloy.

The Remington is indeed a steel receiver, which I feel is an advantage. The steel receiver of the Remington 870 tactical is the reason both it and the Mossberg 590 hit the scale at about the same weight, just over 7 lbs dry. With ammo, the 20" 590A1 is clearly gonna be heavier than the Express Tactical even with its +2 extended magazine.

The aluminum receiver helps to keep the weight down on the 590A1 with its additional metal parts and heavy barrel. Though the metal trigger housing and safety don't really contribute the over all weight much.

Back