• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why you should carry Doritos.

Sn3aKyGuY

.30-06
Use Doritos (or Other Chips) to Start a Fire

You can start a fire using just about anything, but when you're in the middle of nowhere and don't have a lot of fire-starting supplies, a user at social news site Reddit notes that Doritos make an excellent fire starting material.

Of course, just about any chip will do. User JimothyBilliam says "Cheetos work even better," survivalist_guy says "So do Fritos," and user imsabbel offers an explanation for why chips work so well:

All kind of chips work for that. Works as well as birch bark for starting a fire in a hurry. If you think about it, its basically pure hydrocarbons (which burn) soaked in fat (which burns).
So while you may not always have vaseline and cotton balls around, chances are pretty good that you do have some form of tasty, oily, fire-friendly chips that should work in a pinch.

OK. :lol: Now I have to go try this just because it sounds ridiculas. I have never understood what was wrong with a couple of BIC lighters kept in your Pac. Their safe. Don't usually leak unless you put the gas lever against something in your pack. (Put them in a box of some sort) And since we live in a fairly modern age, I have never understood the need to have a flint system either. But there were already two items in this post. A cotton ball with vasoline sounds interesting too I guess and the Doritos. Nah. I'll stick to my BIC lighters. :p

Paul

if i was in the middle of nowhere and had a bag of chips...i'd probably eat them.

ripjack13 said:
if i was in the middle of nowhere and had a bag of chips...i'd probably eat them.
:lol: That's what I thought when I read this, but I thought I'd post it for entertainments sake if nothing else.

raven01750 said:
OK. :lol: Now I have to go try this just because it sounds ridiculas. I have never understood what was wrong with a couple of BIC lighters kept in your Pac. Their safe. Don't usually leak unless you put the gas lever against something in your pack. (Put them in a box of some sort) And since we live in a fairly modern age, I have never understood the need to have a flint system either. But there were already two items in this post. A cotton ball with vasoline sounds interesting too I guess and the Doritos. Nah. I'll stick to my BIC lighters. :p

Paul
A lighters great to have, but I think you missed the point. This is fuel, not a starting device. Say it's snowing/raining and everything around you is soaked. You have a snake size bag of chips that's sealed to light. Again, more of just an entertaining post, but it could save your life one day.

Just messin with ya. ;) I knew you were talking about it being fuel. And I was serious about having to try it because i woulda never thunk! It's a good post. :)

Paul

Yea I'm with you. I got some Buffalo Ranch Doritos in the kitchen right now. I'm going to go try this in the grill.

Welp, took about 10 seconds of holding a flame to them, but they light and burn for a few minutes. I just used 3 and they burned for 2 minutes with a pretty hot flame.
2011-09-15143321.jpg

Being in Socal I would have to eat them, lol. Maybe if you found an old bag full just keep them in the B.O.B. or car. My bro and his wife RV alot and I will have to tell him about this neat trick. thanks

UTZ's potato chips...
q8e7p.jpg

Wavy Lays...
IzWy3.jpg

Cape Cod Cheddar & Jalapeno
qMShY.jpg

And the Winner...
Barbecue Baked Lays
DIA9y.jpg

ironic....

Sorry no Doritos...only chips in my pantry at the moment...

The 'healthy' chip burns the best? :lol: I wonder if it really is less fatty as they lead us to believe? BTW, those are my second favorite chip ever. The barbecue baked lays that is.

I had my money on the Wavy Lays...they were the oiliest ones of the bunch...go figure. healthy my arse.

Man, what did I start?

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way responsible for damage to life or property if you choose to participate in this experiment.

Of course, just about any chip will do. User JimothyBilliam says "Cheetos work even better,"

=========================================================

Cheesey !!...was the reply from Frito Lay mascot...who then burst into flames !!

chestercheesycheetah-1.jpg
BONFIRE.jpg

This is funny because my girlfriend came home from work last weekend and threw a snack bag of fritos on the counter. My brother and his wife were over and I said hey guys did you know that the best way to start a fire in the woods is to use fritos as kindling. I took out an ashtray and one frito. I lit one end of the frito and it burnt with a steady and consisant flame for about 2 minutes. It would easily provide enough fuel to get a good fire going and it only went through half the frito. I highly recommend throwing them in any BOB or hiking bag. The best thing about them is they will stay fresh in their original packing and no danger in flamabillity like keeping dryer lint in your bag.

oomattoo said:
the best way to start a fire in the woods is to use fritos as kindling. I took out an ashtray and one frito.
Frito's are my fave. The 90 degree bent ones will burn like a candle. the last 10 fires at elk camp this year was started with frito's....in the rain.

IMG_1039.jpg

Back