• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Random Stream of Consciousness

I was reading another post about the killing of osama. Thing that burns me up about it is the funeral service, translating prayer to arabic... And the AG wants to prosecute the CIA agents that got the info that lead to his whereabouts.

As far as I am concerned, until I see a picture(s)/videos(s) of a dead Bin Laden, he still lives. Fark muslim "sensibilities"! :mad: If the guy is dead, I WANT, no, AM ENTITLED to see the pictures as my tax dollars helped pay for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bin Laden is actually one of Nobama's top advisors! :eek: The seals didn't kill him--he was "rescued"...:rolleyes:

When I was a good deal younger, even into my early 30s I suppose, I couldn't stand yard work. Not mowing or weed eating. In my early 20s I had told my wife my ideal yard would be small and paved with no grass at all.

Now, I enjoy cutting the grass, I like a finished yard. I look at other yards that are even and smooth and look like carpet and think, I want my yard to look like that.

I do however seriously dislike repairing our mower every weekend. One of the blades on the deck I can't remove at all so I heat it and beat it. The jacked up blade and belts are a weekly struggle. Sometimes the mower wins and the grass doesn't get cut.

Generally, as long as I'm the only one using the mower, there is much less to repair on a regular basis. If my wife or daughter uses it, it comes back clanging and banging and throwing sparks. My wife throws the belts off too.

I was recently in the hospital overnight and a male nurse was telling me about his all hydraulic kabota which sounds nice and they have 60 month 0% financing. However, there's no way I can justify a mower with car like payments. I think I'll keep patching up our little 42" deck troybilt.

Last edited:
No they don't, especially the drive belts. The only way to get to them is by sense of smell. Ok, not really, but you sure as heck can't see them and I haven't figured out how to get both arms in there at once.

I may have taken the wheels off...

Mowing the yard is my zen time. It's therapy for when I can't make it to my cabin to recharge. It's a few hours out of the week where I can just detach and not think about anything but walking a straight line. No dogs barking, no one complaining or bugging me, just the sound of the engine and the smell of fresh cut grass.

I also love mulching leaves in the fall. I find great peace in repeatedly running over leaves until they disappear into fine much.

My GF doesn't understand why I will often use the push mower when the rider in sitting in the garage. People either get it or they don't, but it works for me.

Oli had posted some quotes in "welcome to Oregon now go home". A brief discussion followed about outsiders and it got me thinking but I didn't want to be "that guy" to derail the topic.

I love the south, I love the small towns and the country. It's a different way of living which sometimes translates to "we're gonna take our sweet time". There had been a website originating in South Carolina called gobacktoohio.com Why ohio was singled out I don't know, but I've often heard of outsiders being refered to as foreigners. Not specifically from those in SC but from the south generally.

My wife tells a story of her mammy and pappy when they stepped out of the hills of eastern Kentucky for the first time and exclaimed something to the affect of "we ain't never been out of the United States before!"

I'm from Ohio. We live in the country surrounded by beans and corn for miles, and tobacco just a little to the east. People around here hunt morels, coons, rabbit, birds of all sorts, coyote... My neighbor wheels through his back yard. When we castrated our pig, he heard the squealing and came runnin over to check to make sure something wasn't getting to our animals. Our ground blind is set up on the edge of his property. I don't know anyone around here who doesn't have guns and dogs. Fair is a big deal and significant and integral part of the year. Kids take off school for fair or to help during harvest seasons. The high school has a "drive your tractor to school" day.

I don't think we're unusual or the least bit unique in any way. But in the south we're called yanks and in the north and east we're called hillbillies. The terms redneck and hillbilly are both perjoratives and marks of pride around here depending on the part of town you're in.

My grandmother grew up in the depression era on a tobacco farm. She spent her life trying to get away from the farm and the small town. My dad and his family were coal miners in Logan county WV. His family too escaped the hills and moved to cincy. Maybe it's in the blood, but my wife and I got away from the city just as soon as we could. We'd rather commute an hour each way than live any closer.

I'm rambling I know, but it all got me curious about everyone else here. We've talked gneology a little before, but I'm more curious about the culture across the US and even maybe from our members abroad.

I'll say of the south, Alabama is among my favorite places, down near the coast, the brackish water. It's a place I'd like to experience more. It's also where we found our bulldog, Lil.

first of all, in my threads you can talk about whatever, its usually all related or gets back to being related so ......I really have no problem with conversation.
I create a thread, how it ends up.....who cares.
I take no pride or since of anything from posting or having an ideal on track post....its pathetic really IMO, its information exchange, some "derails" have led to the best information exchange.
People who have enough ego to let that be a stick in their ass needs to get a life outside the internet
My action in real life are where I get my since of pride and accomplishment......I like to share those here from time to time

"foreigners".......it was funny my first trip to Alaska I step into the in briefing for a fire we were taking over and the guy leading the briefing looks at me and says " so......your from America"

yeah standoffish but I fit right in so it wasn't a problem for me I grew up in a place where the signs don't read " no trespassing" they read "trespassers will be shot"....but for the most part from Northern California to AK to Montana are all the same sort of folks.....mostly

I really didn't know where I was going with what I wanted to say, lol

Small communities can be a strange thing. Some places you just never fit in and even here it's obvious when there's someone in town not from here. They're never unwelcome I wouldn't say, but at least watched with some measure of suspicion. Sadly it may be because of meth. Some who would cook the stuff find it easier to do in the country away from prying eyes and neighbors who can't mind their own business. So when we see someone who is very obviously "city folk" and not a local, I suppose the natural inclination is to wonder what they're doing here and what they're looking for.

On another possibly related note;
Blond haired people make up I think about 25% of the population nationally while red haired people make about 2%. Those numbers are much higher here and while I know children often have blond hair which darkens later in life, I've noticed over the last few years since my youngest has been in cheer leading, that blond children were in the clear majority with darker haired children numbering very few. On some of the cheer squads, all but maybe 2 or 3 children had/have blond hair. My older kids have a friend who has been told when she marries it will have to be someone not from here because her family is related to everyone in town. Many of the older family names in town are all related. Just different branches of the same tree we're told.

Coincidence?

Northerners who move down south, and stay, are referred to as "damn Yankees". So I was told by my former MIL.

I have lived all over...NY, AZ, LA, HI, FL and a few more places. I now live in OH as well and never have understood how folks from OH can say they are "southerners". Y'all are north of the Mason-Dixon Line, how can you be from the south?

I guess it is not just your physical, geographic location...it is a state of mind. And it is all good as far as I'm concerned.

Ohio. I don't know that it's unique but there has in the past been quite a migration of southerners in to Ohio. It was a destination for those wanting to get out of the hills. They brought their heritage with them, and food and music mixed. It's a beautiful thing. I can see how some more closely identify with the south, but no, I wouldn't say we're southerners.

Though my wife and kids can walk barefoot over anything. Limestone, slate and shale, gravel of all sorts, the creek, obsidian maybe, I dunno. I can't. I have a hard time with cut grass.

Lol, but I also heard there are only a couple things that come out of Texas, but for the life of me I can't remember what...

Back