• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modern Musket~~never DONE~~

Re: Modern Musket

I am rethinking the sights. I am thinking folding now after reading the MK12 wiki….
I am going to have a rail running down the top like the rifle in the picture, smooth forend with a 2 inch rail for a light.
I am always suspect of moving parts that’s why I gravitated to the fixed sights.
I want the primary sighting to be through the irons.
I am not opposed to an option, that’s why I went flat top instead A2 upper. I do have the scopes lying around I wouldn’t mind playing with…..and the PA micro reflex. I have shot them enough to know I am not into a co witness and I don’t really want to run around with a scope most the time

Are folding sights up to being good accurate primary sights ?

Yup.

Like anything, you get what you pay for and my Troy Battlesights have never let me down. I'm partial to their di-optic rear sight and the M4 front...

I'm not a big fan of diopter style sights at all, but I know that everyone is different.

sure, they're probably a little more accurate because your brain automatically tries to put a circle in a circle and line them up together, but I personally prefer regular peep style. It's just "less busy" for my bad eyes.

Troys are definately good stuff though. If you're going to mount the front sight on an railed forend, just keep in mind there are two different heights. The one for gas blocks are slightly taller than a forend type mount.

Coincidentally, if you mount a sight on a railed gas block, I recommend going with aluminum over polymer on a gas block 'cause they can get hot enough to melt the plastic ones.

I kinda like the midwest industries front sight. It seems to want to "cradle" the target/sight picture from a lack of better term due to the slightly curved front post. Kind of similiar to how some AK's do.

You guys have forgotten more about AR's than I know. It's great following along on a thread like this and the one JohnA started. Thanks for all the great info. I need to get on the AR bandwagon at some point.

Oli, please keep the pictures coming if you can.

hard to keep a Mini14 running on AR15 part in the trenches
You should still pack the Mini for when the AR jambs :D (please don't all kill me for that!)

Well that’s cool, I wanted the Troy A4 style front for sure, I see they make them in the folding as well, cool.

So the block on the barrel LES and I bought looks a little lower than the receiver height blocks I have seen.
I am judging this by where the pin is located on the block that holds the gas tube there isn’t as much material above the pin as there is on picture of railed blocks that advertise as a receiver height block. Again am only going by picks and trying to get the right thing the first time.

If you go to the Midway ad and scroll the picture you can see the pin location……if you all agree it might be shorter than rail height would this be a sight that would work for the gas block :?:
http://troyind.com/%20/back-up-iron-sig ... ounting-m4

Lower parts from Core 15 came today
IMG_1298_zps4e530233.jpg

Are you wanting to mount the front sight to the gas block or mount an extended railed tube over the gas block and then mount the sight to it?

I am doing a 12 inch handguard and hope to use the supplied railed gas block on the barrel for the front sight base.

oli700 said:
Well that’s cool, I wanted the Troy A4 style front for sure, I see they make them in the folding as well, cool.

So the block on the barrel LES and I bought looks a little lower than the receiver height blocks I have seen.
I am judging this by where the pin is located on the block that holds the gas tube there isn’t as much material above the pin as there is on picture of railed blocks that advertise as a receiver height block. Again am only going by picks and trying to get the right thing the first time.

If you go to the Midway ad and scroll the picture you can see the pin location……if you all agree it might be shorter than rail height would this be a sight that would work for the gas block :?:
http://troyind.com/%20/back-up-iron-sig ... ounting-m4

Lower parts from Core 15 came today
IMG_1298_zps4e530233.jpg

Oooh, that's SEXY!

...and yes, that Troy gas block front sight is the type you're looking for. The oversized base creates a level plane with the rear sight...

I just ordered the remaining parts for my build (sans BCG which I have a alternate for atm) so I'm living vicariously off your build til I can start mine.

I demand more Pics!!!!! LOL

You got more than me bro. Palmetto just shipped the A2 tube......so all I need is

Bolt Carrier Group.....might have to resort to crime lol

Iron Sights....going to cost me more than I thought

Flash Hider........A2/crush washer, unless the 60 dollar flash hiders do something other than look cool

Charging Handle…..probably a Noveske just to have a local part for good luck

I'm trying to do the buy once cry once thing...I already didn’t stick to the plan because I am caught up in the "might not be there later" mode. I am getting notified by email and literally looking 15 minutes after I get the email and stuff is gone. I love how Midway is limiting to 1 per customer, makes it last.

I'll give better pics as cooler parts roll in .....no one wants to see a bunch of springs lol.
I want to see more of your YHM handguard.

I didn’t get excited until I held the lower.....before that it was like paying bills. As I build this rifle I imagine I will get more pumped but for now I feel more like I am just fulfilling my requirement as a minute man lol.

Oli, I believe I have a flash hider for you. It is the A2 style off of my Sig. It's yours if you want it. I have to find it, but I believe I know where it is.
I also have an A2 carry handle/ rear sight by the fine firm of NCStar, a charging handle with the Guntech oversized latch, dust cover, and a selector switch with the spring and detent. There might be more parts, I will have to look.
Same deal, there yours if you want them.

sweet man, keep it close by....I have a buddy locally that says he has one too we'll see what he comes up with.

Thanks !

We could do this like Dodge does with the Dart. I think they call it "Fund My Dodge Dart". We could call it "Fund Oli's AR". :)

tcecil88 said:
We could do this like Dodge does with the Dart. I think they call it "Fund My Dodge Dart". We could call it "Fund Oli's AR". :)

That's how we roll at M.O.!! :D

LOL...I am just a dirty procrastinator....don’t deserve the kindness LOL.....if you guys come up with a BCG for retail I would be thrilled!.....and mags.

oli700 said:
Flash Hider........A2/crush washer, unless the 60 dollar flash hiders do something other than look cool

Yes and no. Some work better than others but until you start getting into comp's I don't see the point in dumping much in it. I'm going to use the $5 DPMS one from Midway LOL

I want to see more of your YHM handguard.

Because you asked I'll post a couple pics with it mocked up.

I didn’t get excited until I held the lower.....before that it was like paying bills. As I build this rifle I imagine I will get more pumped but for now I feel more like I am just fulfilling my requirement as a minute man lol.

Fun Isn't it?

It is fun actually....and you guys know how I like getting into the guts of a gun so this is probably right up my ally

oli700 said:
It is fun actually....and you guys know how I like getting into the guts of a gun so this is probably right up my ally

Consider this your official warning, once you open this door there is no going back, you will forever feel the need to build, tweek, modify and shoot these adult Lego blocks we call AR's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back