• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modern Musket~~never DONE~~

Re: Modern Musket

Little bit from my pea brain on metal stress as it related to barrel manufacturing, this is how I understand the process
Residual stress in a barrel is another possible cause of inaccuracy.

Stress can be caused by the rifling process, as it is in button rifling (MK12), or can exist in the steel bar as it was received from the steel mill.

Stress in steel will tend to come out when the steel is either heated or machined. The heating of a barrel through firing it is often enough to allow some stress movement to occur.

In effect what happens is the barrel warps and is no longer "looking" where we thought it was. The bullets don't hit the target where they were intended.

If a bar of steel is machined while it contains stress, it will move. Often stress can be introduced by the forklift or workers carrying bar stock and allowing it to bounce.

Rifle barrels made using the hammer forge process contain a tremendous amount of stress. This explains why some barrels on mass-produced factory rifles will walk their shots as those barrels heat from firing.

Heat stress relief allows molecules to line back up to the original orientation that was forged in from the steel mill, before any type of sress was introduces from machining the contour, boring , button rifling or just plain mishandling of bar stock meant for use as a barrel....heated to the point of red in the steel

Doesn't Cryo treating re-align the metal molecules and relieve the barrel stress?

That’s the word....it seems to be hype at this point and that depends on who you talk to. Heat is known to work and experts say Cryo still needs to be proven....I can’t really comment further than that on Cryo because I have 0 experiences with it other than knowing it is looked at like a gimmick these days in the ranks of metallurgist type folks......Heat is known to work on the molecular level. We didn’t heat relieve at my shop but I was in the industry for 6 or so years so I know a lot of "real" barrel makers. So given the chance I’ll choose heat relief over Cryo, but I am a real tradition type guy lol

Heat stress relief isn’t that uncommon, but I see a lot of hammer forged barrels as I am looking for AR parts.
I have never been this deep in AR world so it seems this type of barrel isn’t that common until you get into bigger name varmint barrels that don’t take flash hiders and suppressors.
The cool thing is they do it once after the boring, it’s usually done after the rifling, so the fact that whomever makes these for DPMS does it after both boring and rifling is really cool IMO…..button rifling really adds stress, but is a very good and accurate rifling method

Dang, I'm super late seein this, not really gettin on very often kinda sux.

Oli, firstly, this looks like its gonna be wicked awesome fun to shoot! Well, I can't see pics, but from reading anyway! :D

Where on you on sights? I think I missed a page and started posting before catching it...

Have you seen the ARMS sights? Have you ordered something already? The design looks like a standard A2 but it folds away and is the gas block, bayonet lug and has a swivel.
http://swfa.com:80/ARMS-Front-Sights-C4467.aspx

They're kinda pricey, but not atificially inflated due to current events.

I like the ACE stocks too! I considered one but I like the adjustable stock primarily because Allison shoots too.

I need to get caughtup on this thread, lookin forward to every detail Oli!

Ok, just read what I skipped earlier.

My rifle came with a railed gas block too. I was strongly leaning towards the Troy, Midwest, or ARMS railed gas block height folding front sites. I too really wanted the Troy but the cost was a deterent, then I found the ARMS folding A2 front site and a guy on the OlyArms forum made me areal good deal on one.

Anyhow, carry on, I'll be watchin!

EDIT:

On the flash hiders, while I don't know as much as the others here about them; what I've most noticed between the A2 and comp/brakes is that the. Comps are much louder and you can feel the percussion quite a bit more, like a lot more. From similar carbine length rifles, the only note worthy difference bein the barrel profile and furniture, my A2 flash hider was almost quiet by comparison. Talk about bein surprised everytime you pull the trigger! You could feel it well behind the muzzle!

Now, I didn't notice a significant difference in handling, not like I do with the VCS porting on my 12 ga, but neither do I have a ton of experience with either style muzzle devices on an AR.

Dude first things first, I miss the hell out of you , this thread has missed your presence since first post, thanks for coming over, I don’t like you not being in my threads man.

I need sights that fold down tower you posted is sweet as hell man….the barrel comes with a railed gas block and that should function satisfactory , I’d hate to take it off if it works
I think I am going to need a gas block height flip up style for the front sight because I think the block is going to be lower than the receiver , won’t know for sure till I get the barrel and handguard next to eachother . I am going quality man on the sights because I want them to be primary but want fold down for options since I have the micro reflex and a couple of cheap scopes laying around .

Yeah, adjustability as an excellent option in a stock. This really morphed from an A2, carry handle , fixed stock. After my knowledge quest it turned into the flat top, but I knew I wanted rifle length everything.
LES posted the 18 inch barrel, and I recalled it from an earlier conversation with John, been picking his brain the entire time lol…..then John posted, reaffirming the barrel is decent….It was an in-between barrel length with a in-between rifling twist and rifle length gas system , in stock, Midway USA, retail price….no brainer and after reading about it, they didn’t let me down.

Things start rolling in starting on Tuesday ….I’ll be a picture posting fool.

ok you were caught up ,sorry for the repeat lol ....and I blew my plan of a part or two a month....everyone has a little panic buyer in them :lol:

It's not panic buying bro.

Even before all this availability BS, every time I found a good deal on a receiver I picked it up thinking I'd take my time piecing together a rifle over the next several months. Every time, I'd have it put together in about a month. For me it's not panic, it's just impatience... :D

That makes since, I am an impatient mofo

On a side note with the sights, I have been looking at the flip up rear sights….am I correct in that they don’t adjust for elevation? ….front post for elevation…….dont know if I can do that lol, especially with a hooded front sight.
Don’t think the idea is as good if the pin is too far up or down in the front hood…..I have shot another rifle that had the front pin high in the hood and I didn’t like it at all…..owner shot it fine . I might be back to a fully adjustable fixed rear sight…LMT or RRA. I’ll just take it off when I want to play with optics

Yup,

Rear for windage, front for elevation. I prefer the open M4 style front sight...

This way you don't have to worry about a hood interfering with your sight picture and can adjust as needed...

Oli, I really like the front elevation adjustment. Its real easy to dial in, each click is 1/4 MOA (I think, someone confirm?)

There are two different styles, one is Colt with 5 points and the other has 4. I started out with correction targets that were like match targets with the numbers and my first sight in was 25 yards and I'm pretty sure the 1 click = 1/4 MOA worked out.

Yeah I have done it a little on Tylers YHM …..I am warming up to the idea, I just prefer some elevation in the back, habit……

Interesting option for someone looking to have iron sights as primary such as myself…. as much as my barrel but I would love to play around with one….if it works as advertised it would be worth the extra money to because it only a few bucks more than the higher end sights I am looking at….
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/d ... ct_id=2515

2:20…..I want one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jH7BS37BFM[/youtube]

Sorry for this…..I GOT A BCG !!! a big fat juicy Bolt Carrier Group !
Got an email notification from MidwayUSA . I clicked it thinking it would be out already and it was in , limit of one per customer so I panic clicked like a little girl and got the order off.
I went back to the description so I could post the link to MikeD and it was OUT already!.....man it looks like things are starting to come back around though…147 bucks…..I guess it could fall through in this freaked out market but Midway has never let me down.
Mike I will keep all my notifications going and get a hook up on one

Down to sights. I will throw on my Primary Arms micro reflex and buy some iron sights next month !

That happened WAY faster than I anticipated…..literally fell together. About 4 components I ordered from Midway were out of stock when I went back to visit the description after ordering…..man the luck of the Irish kicked in big time on this!!

That happened WAY faster than I anticipated…..literally fell together. About 4 components I ordered from Midway were out of stock when I went back to visit the description after ordering…..man the luck of the Irish kicked in big time on this!![/quote]

must be your St.Patrick's day present,,,,,,,,,,,,, can't wait to see this build come together.

Attachments

• Gun-toting-leprechaun.jpg
    Gun-toting-leprechaun.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 43

Lol, there ya go.......I forgot I need the charge handle too lol

oli700 said:
Lol, there ya go.......I forgot I need the charge handle too lol

check your PM box ;)

giving Vltor the money...I like the look, although I doubt you can see it while it’s in the upper receiver but 95% of the reason was the recent joining of the list of merchants that support 2A and I really liked their letter....Midway probably could throw my last 3 orders in the same box on the conveyor belt

Dude, I like those sights a lot, I especially dig sights with BDC but I've never ever seen irons like that!

I have a couple questions you folks more in the know may be able to answer for me.
Bullet drop compensation is figured for the 5.56 55gr through a 1:9 twist barrel and I'm not sure of what length, a 16" maybe?

In the case of a barrel bein 1:8 or 1:7 is there a significant difference? And is that based on a 300 meter sight in? Would that work with the 50 yard RIBZ sight in?

Good question....my money says it all works close enough to the same as long the grains stay the same. But someone else might know for sure

Back