• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR lower

I still think coyote is nicer looking than fde.

And coyote matches my hunting area's better too.

Been looking for this picture for a while now and finally found it.

Early coyote color

longrangercloseupace.jpg

Almost went with that DSG offering for my Spikes Zombie build.

I decided to go with Palmetto's MOE furniture and lower parts deal. I'm aware of them being slow at shipping out orders and especially right now during the holiday season. I didn't expect anything to be at my door until after the first of the year and the savings was more than enough to entice me to wait. That said DSG usually ships lightning fast and for me since I'm just down IH35 about 5 hours usually if I order from them mon thru thurs I'll have it the next day. Weekends slow it up but its still only Mon, Tues at the absolute latest which is still fast. Thats with the cheapest shipping option mind you. I've used them many times before for that very reason. The only downside for me to utilize them is paying shipping and state sales tax unless they had offered a free shipping promo which they usually don't unfortunately.

For you since you already have your lower parts in place seems like the DSG furniture and stock package is perfect. I see you linked to a middy length kit, is that what your upper is going to be?

Good to know that dsg is gtg! I honestly havent decided? when it comes to which upper I want kinda clueless I like the blem from joe bob's or the aero precision upper theres alot of choices! Open to suggestions still sorting through some of the terminologies!

I'm basically in the same boat. I have zero idea what direction I'm going with the upper on my build. While .300blk really appeals to me I'm thinking I'd better stick to 5.56 for this one. I'm also thinking midlength. Another consideration you have to think about is 14.5 with a pinned muzzle device or a 16 to stay out of non NFA territory. In my mind I think I'm better off sticking to a 16 inch barrel in case I do want to install that rail myself at a later date. Otherwise the pinned muzzle device is just one more hassle to contend with. If I opted for a 14.5 now I'm better off coughing up the coin for the rail and just having it all done right from the get go.

I wouldn't hesitate on a killer deal if were a blem offering. Hell after the first range outing or two your gonna show some wear on it already. If your building a safe queen with no intention of ever firing it thats one thing but if you intend to utilize any firearm for actual shooting who cares if the finish is less than stellar. It will get a ding or two along the way in actual usage. As long as the critical dimensions where its important are in proper spec you are G2G with a blem upper. Save some money and apply towards your ammo budget.

I really in the long haul want a DD RIS II on my build but the budget is really tight right now. Short term I myself am eyeballing some of these great upper deals especially on PSA right now and might bite. That way I can get this thing functional and out to a range soon. If I wait to save up for the rail and having it assembled its going to be quite a while longer for me. Parts can be switch swapped down the line as my budget can allow for it. In theory those cast off parts can possibly be applied to a future build. Or sold/traded towards something else. Which brings me to this.

Don't forget to keep tabs on the various buy/sale/trade areas of the various forums. Sometimes great deals on uppers for cheap or trade present themselves there along with all sorts of other parts/accessories/etc.........

As always, YMMV.

I thought about 300 blk as well until I saw how scarce the ammo was! Keeping mine 5.56 as well I still like the Aero upper but you never know? Right now financially the barrel is going to be the toughest for me to purchase!

are you all building these from the ground up , as in from a pile of parts or are you buying complete uppers ?

oli, I trust myself enough to put a lower together. Upper wise I think I'll let a professional handle the work. I'd hate to make a mistake and seriously injure myself or someone else.

I'm weighing the pros and cons about buying something off the shelf or just everything individually and then handing it off to someone for assembly. ADCO right now is at the top of my list should I choose to do the latter.

BCM does offer uppers G2G with the DD RIS II I want. Really thinking ultimately thats the route I should probably take.

Mechanically, there isn't a whole lot of ways to screw up assembling an upper. Usually gas port misalignment is the biggest issue, which only affects cycling/feeding, though can normally be remedied, but I understand your caution.

But the most common thing that can cause an unsafe condition is improper head spacing.

Since most people do not understand headspacing or what it is, and what it isn't, also do not understand that it cannot be changed in an AR15, short of very specialized tools and techniques that are usually well beyond the realm of kitchen table gunsmithing.

The shortest answer that I can usually give in an online topic is that either your bolt and barrel combination are either going to be compatible and safe, or they are not going to be.

And with most companies that make them (at least in the U.S.) are going to be using certified cnc programs and usually have multiple tolerance certifications, and why you can typically mix-n-match parts and assemblies between manufacturers and still come out with a safe, and working firearm.

130 years ago when everything was done by hand, not so much so even within the same company, but todays standards, are usually pretty high and within spec.

Not legal advice, ymmv, cya, yada yada yada.

John I think my biggest fear is that if I invest in all the tools required to do the job one upper will turn into many etc....... lol. Then obviously you might as well get lowers for those uppers and before you know it you have several complete AR rifles on your hands.

I could probably do it but I think it will be best for me to just pick my parts and let someone else do it. Especially if I opt for a 14.5 inch barrel that will require a pin and welded muzzle device I don't own any welding equipment or know anyone that does to do that. If I opt for the 16 inch barrel no big deal I suppose. Since the rail I'm interested in requires a replacement barrel nut as I understand it you are practically disassembling and reassembling the upper for the most part if using an already completed upper. It just seems better to me to start with unassembled parts and let a professional do it. One bonus opting to go with ADCO is if I buy everything from them they will assemble it all for me at no additional charge including pin and welding if required. Can't beat that. Sadly they are out of stock of most of the items I'm interested in right now.

Buying the tools does lead to more uppers, guns, whatever.

Even spare parts tend to eventually end up on a new gun eventually. ;)

For me, I bought the tools when I had my gun store, in which they paid for themselves but was also a rewarding and good experience.

Been looking around the net for stock options besides magpul not that i don't like magpul of course checking out different brands!

I don't have one MP part, not because I don't like them....I just don't like the hype, plus I wanted an all metal AR, actually not that easy these days. ACE has a new stock that is adjustable and looks like a mean mofo but it cost more than their Socom stock........the quality of ACE srtocks seem top shelf though

The Hammer
http://riflestocks.com/store/product104.html

and best of all
Effective Immediately!!

Due to the recent changes in 2nd Amendment laws that are pending or currently enforced by states across the country, the J&T Family of Companies which includes J&T Distributing, DoubleStar Corp., Ace Limited, and the DoubleStar Training Academy has been forced to reassess our policies regarding government and law enforcement sales. Effective immediately, the J&T Family of Companies will be joining other manufacturers and distributors by ceasing sales of regulated items in states that have altered the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms.

The JTFOC will no longer sell prohibited items to law enforcement agencies or any government agencies in states, counties, cities, and municipalities that have enacted restrictive gun control laws against their law abiding citizens. We hope other companies will join us with their support. We applaud those already involved with this effort to protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Be Victorious

I am a supporter for life because of that alone , and they were among the first to do it

Back