• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Canik 120 CZ-75

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Just curious if anyone has any experience with the Turkish Canik 120 or the Tristar 120.

Both are steel frame, and from what I can see, are really good copies/clones of the CZ75. Especially for under $400.

Just asking for some input if you have any.

Well, despite not getting any feedback, I went ahead and ordered the Tristar Canik 55 S120 this evening.

Basically, from what I've read, it's one of the better clones of the cz75b variant out there. And I hope this one is not an exception to that.

After Oli and Les and Nitesite and others have been speaking so highly of the '75, I'd like to add one to my collection, but the $500+ pricetag locally has kept them out of reach for the actual CZ brand. My uncle Jerry was even talking about his 75 yesterday when I was up there visiting for a few minutes and he said he really likes his too.

So, when I found a NIB black all steel version of the Turkish variant (S120) for $300, I jumped feet first. After insured shipping and transfer fee will come in closer to $340 delivered and out the door, but I still feel that's not too far out there for an all steel pistol.

Don't get me wrong, I am content with striker fired Tupperware and all, but I just prefer my guns made out of metal. I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

The seller up in Milwaukee has already sent me a tracking number, so with any luck should be here maybe Monday or Tuesday.

obligatory pics/link

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=483488138

I know of them...but have no real time experience with them.

The Canik S-120 is a High Quality copy of a CZ-75. CZ parts and magazines will work with the Canik S-120

Specifications
  • 9mm
  • CZ-75 Clone
  • Single/Double Action
  • 17rd Magazine Capacity (MECGAR)
  • 2.16 lbs. Approximate Weight
  • 4.72" Barrel Length
  • 8.11" Overall Length
  • 5.43" Overall Height
  • 1.38" Width
  • 3 Dot Sights; Fixed

Thanks shooter.

One of the things that really tipped the scale was after looking through the English translation of their website, I found the companies iso 9000 certification.

And I'm sure you're well aware that if they have that certification, shouldn't have much problem making a pistol to spec.

canik iso certificate.jpg

Not familiar with any of the clones, handled a EAA , felt like a CZ.....didn't get to look at the machining or anything .....

My Uncle Jerry was talking about his 75 when I was at his house yesterday evening. I'm pretty certain his is the actual CZ brand.

I didn't look at it because he had it in the truck, but he said he loved his.

I could probably compare them side by side if I were inclined.

Or, I could take a truckload of pictures and let you decide for yourself if the machining is up to snuff.

In the last several days, I've read a couple of dozen links and reviews concerning them because I was trying to research their reputation and quality, and I've only came across 1 negative review.

And with a buy it now price of $299, I couldn't get it out of my head.

I'm looking forward to it too. I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Quick question.

@LAZY EYED SNIPER I know you've been a Beretta man for a long time but I'm going to ask you anyway, how do you think the 75 compares to the 92?

My Uncle Jerry was talking about his 75 when I was at his house yesterday evening. I'm pretty certain his is the actual CZ brand.

I didn't look at it because he had it in the truck, but he said he loved his.

I could probably compare them side by side if I were inclined.

Or, I could take a truckload of pictures and let you decide for yourself if the machining is up to snuff.

In the last several days, I've read a couple of dozen links and reviews concerning them because I was trying to research their reputation and quality, and I've only came across 1 negative review.

And with a buy it now price of $299, I couldn't get it out of my head.

You know, as long as it cycles ammo .....insides can look like crap. My CZ is decent but I have seen better, a lot better. When I polished the trigger there were deep marks....naturally I didn't polish them out but it is slicker than snot. I know the process and materials they use are top shelf.....investment cast steel lowers are an art tha CZ has mastered, done wrong it's weak. Their barrels are hammer forged 4041 and what not.

Watch the roll pin that retains the firing pin if you dry fire at all ......that I have experience with, I have heard the only other prone part is the slide catch/take down lever. That doesn't break often they say but it's a spot that gets beat up and a spare never hurts

You know, as long as it cycles ammo .....insides can look like crap. My CZ is decent but I have seen better, a lot better. When I polished the trigger there were deep marks....naturally I didn't polish them out but it is slicker than snot. I know the process and materials they use are top shelf.....investment cast steel lowers are an art tha CZ has mastered, done wrong it's weak. Their barrels are hammer forged 4041 and what not.

Watch the roll pin that retains the firing pin if you dry fire at all ......that I have experience with, I have heard the only other prone part is the slide catch/take down lever. That doesn't break often they say but it's a spot that gets beat up and a spare never hurts

I agree on the physical appearance. It should be as nice as possible in a perfect world, there would be no machinemarks, no imperfections, but as long as the critical area's are acceptable is what's the most important.

Far as I know, the receiver I bought on this S variant is the heaviest steel version instead of lightweight aluminum frame or the later Polymer frames, and I expect that the one I got will be cast steel. Like my Fal.

As for cast/forged receivers, I know that Olympic caught a lot of crap while using cast receivers for a while, and it seems like numerous other companies have largely gotten free passes for the same thing. Ruger in several models most notably the P series pistols, FN Fal's with 7.62x51's, and other makes and models.

I agree on the physical appearance. It should be as nice as possible in a perfect world, there would be no machinemarks, no imperfections, but as long as the critical area's are acceptable is what's the most important.

Far as I know, the receiver I bought on this S variant is the heaviest steel version instead of lightweight aluminum frame or the later Polymer frames, and I expect that the one I got will be cast steel. Like my Fal.

As for cast/forged receivers, I know that Olympic caught a lot of crap while using cast receivers for a while, and it seems like numerous other companies have largely gotten free passes for the same thing. Ruger in several models most notably the P series pistols, FN Fal's with 7.62x51's, and other makes and models.

honestly as long as a good percentage of a given surface is flat marks do nothing....given it has another flat surface riding on it. Square edges dragging on marks give the crappy feel of grittyness.

Its even offered by some machinists that if properly fitted and polished mating surfaces all had machining or to an extent dull tooling marks they would last longer because lube would hang in the "channels" and feed out on the mating surfaces...

The trigger bar and sear cage.
The flat metal in the middle of the cage is the sear catch, the other polished surfaces all mate to the trigger bar , they all interface with the disconnector . The sear surface is one of those square edges that causes grittyness.

If you don't like the trigger polishing all the surfaces you see here polished will help a lot. Lucky for you your getting the manual safety,......much easier to put the sear cage back together on the manual safety

I know much about casing metal but know there is crap and there is awesome.....method and materials make it or break it.

They have some cool video on CZ factory stuff on youtube and somewhere I saw some cool footage on there investment casting it was really cool , I really cant say either way because I am unedumukated on it but supposedly their process is unique in there somewhere, one of the things they are known for...who knows I'm sure there are a mountain of broken ones somewhere

Thanks for the pictures and description of the trigger group Oli.

I'm not sure how the trigger is going to be, but in all honesty, before you even mentioned it, I had already ordered a 13# and a 15# hammer spring to try out. Mostly because I like lighter triggers in all of my guns. Especially in the DA pull. I did the same for my AR's, 92, XD, etc.

I read that the OEM spring is around 20# so, I'll probably start with the 15 and make sure it'll light the hard tula and wolf. If they're OK, then I may (depending on feel) go on down to the 13 pounder, but I'll make that decision after I shoot it some.

Since I got such a good deal on it, I splurged a little and have a set of diamondback VZ grips incoming. I think they look pretty sweet. Kinda snake skin like.

cz75-db-hb_1.jpg

no problem bro.

the hammer spring will help with the double action first pull, very very slightly on the single action release

the way to a light crisp releases in a CZ 75 or clone i imagine, is through the hammer hook.
The hook you see on the hammer on the left has been cut by CGW...... is what interacts with the flat metal polished part (sear) in the sear cage

the CGW diconector has a reconfigured catch, the other half to crisp break

to do the light hammer spring, a light firing pin spring/return spring is a good idea to insure reliable primer strike
FP block spring, trigger return spring.......all adds up to the light crisp trigger on these bad boys

Firing pin retainer....roll pin after quite a bit of dry fire practice

the replacement

Thanks for the description and pics.

You've turned a mundane thread into a great one.

I should get the pistol tomorrow. May be a few more days before I start getting any of the parts.

Right on, if it's exactly like a CZ75 then I can get you through whatever you might like to try, pretty much know them inside out at this point

It is the same. Or at least supposed to be.

Like AR's and 1911's, it's a clone by another name.

Colt makes AR15's, Colt makes 1911's and CZ makes CZ75's and Izmash makes AK's.

But there are countless other manufacturers that also make AR15's, 1911's, CZ75's and AK's.

The Canik just happens to be the CZ75 that is made in Turkey. And Tristar is the importer.

Well in that case you should be in for a treat

The twist rate is designed for 124 grain by the way

The best description I can give is if a 1911 and a Browning Hipower had a kid...that took both its parents good trates and none of their bad

I still need a 92, I actually saw some Italian police turn ins for like 300 bucks but was in the middle of building the pistol so.....still really want one though

Last edited:
Back