• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Decisions on a HD shotgun

aksavanaman said:
Don't just narrow down on one load.

yeah because the beauty of a shotgun is the ammo variety, and being able to introduce those varieties right into the mag tube to be the next round chambered or better yet just drop it into the open ejection port

I'll see how that goes, the closest range around here is about an hour away and for me that's a pretty long ways away. Is there anything special I need to drive long distances with a gun in the car?

JSM said:
I'll see how that goes, the closest range around here is about an hour away and for me that's a pretty long ways away. Is there anything special I need to drive long distances with a gun in the car?

What state are you in JSM? (sorry if it's been mentioned)

I would check your local and state laws concering transportation of firearms within a vehicle (locked/unloacked, loaded, in a case etc.) and your local sherriff or PD is a good resource when it comes to being certain.

I tend to forget there's laws in other states agains this. I'm in the wild west up here... I carry where/when and how I want... when I want to (unless it's a school) :twisted: . Lol... sometimes my AR15 rides shotgun with it's toes on the dashboard ;)

Well I know as far as handguns go it is fine to have a handgun in the car as long as it is in the glove box or center console and you don't have to have a license or anything like that. I can always look or ask one of my friends that are in the police.

Google your state and transporting firearms and you should find it.

JSM said:
Well I know as far as handguns go it is fine to have a handgun in the car as long as it is in the glove box or center console and you don't have to have a license or anything like that. I can always look or ask one of my friends that are in the police.

It can get tricky navigating all the laws, city ordinances, etc., in some locales. If in doubt, put it in the trunk, unloaded, and don't break any traffic laws. Most places allow transport to/from a range, gunshop, etc.

I rarely use cases unless I am taking multiple then I stuff them in the Voodoo

In Oregon you can carry a chambered weapon anywhere as long as it isn't concealed, well you can conceal a handgun if you have the license , I do.

I think the Portland metropolitan has something written, you can tell I care about that lol

Each state has different carry laws.

You just need to look up what your laws are.

Or if you're traveling, the ones you will be going through.

Well I went out to my walmart and picked up the sock, bore snake, hoppes solvent and oil. I was going to buy ammo but the only #4 they had was remington, I don't know how many shells were in there but it was 14.96. I think she called out #3 and #2 though.... I don't think they keep any other 4s in stock.

btw are you talking about 4 bird or buck shot? I didn't even know there was a difference..... I thought a 4 was a 4. @_@

JSM said:
Well I went out to my walmart and picked up the sock, bore snake, hoppes solvent and oil. I was going to buy ammo but the only #4 they had was remington, I don't know how many shells were in there but it was 14.96. I think she called out #3 and #2 though.... I don't think they keep any other 4s in stock.

btw are you talking about 4 bird or buck shot? I didn't even know there was a difference..... I thought a 4 was a 4. @_@

We're talking about #4 Buck for HD. This will help you get acquainted with the variety of shotgun ammo. http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html

Well if you dont want to kill , but give someone a reminder not to break into your house again theres rubber ball shot you can look into. As far as the picatinny rail goes weaver sell a no gunsmithing mount for optics. Cleaning I use CLP from walmart , make sure if you have synthetic furniture to buy the clp thats synthectic safe! I clean with a bore snake them to a light wipe down with a remwipe. I keep my 88 security in a flambeau hard case been pretty nice.

rdm76mav88 said:
Well if you dont want to kill , but give someone a reminder not to break into your house again theres rubber ball shot you can look into.

Don't be fooled by the rubber shot and bean bags.... there's a reason they're called Less Than Lethal, cause sometimes they are exactly that. You're still hitting someone with almost the same amount of force... food for thought. I'd put birdshot in my gun before I'd choose LTL rounds.

That topic was pretty hard hit here...
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7074

That's what I figured ya'll were talking about but wasn't sure, I guess I'll have to buy the remington because by the time I drive out to a place someone told me about, it would cost me just as much if not more. I was talking to one of the workers and they said that usually the first brand you put through a brand new gun is going to be the brand it will like this most. True?

Think the cheapest HD one I see is the remington express, the rest are for birds and stuff.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductL ... eLow&pn=25

JSM said:
I was talking to one of the workers and they said that usually the first brand you put through a brand new gun is going to be the brand it will like this most. True?

About as true as drinking your pee makes you feel better when you're sick ;)

My local Walmart had winchester and federal in stock even super x I can send you military 00 Buck as much as I want to buy! If you can't get Buck theres always blindside shot!!

It's just the small town I live in, we have a super walmart that closes at 11 and a McDonalds that is open 24/7 lol.

aksavanaman said:
About as true as drinking your pee makes you feel better when you're sick ;)

cures athletes foot and makes jelly fish stings feel better.....I have heard those the most

JSM, wanted you to see this and make sure you know that there is a difference in #4 shot and #4 Buckshot. Hate to see you get #4 bird hunting shells

images

The WalMart here has the Olin military grade 00 buckshot in the plain brown box. JSM, if you don't have a lot of ammo choices locally, online can be your friend. It sounds like your area has a business opportunity.

Back