• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First attempt at Building a (hicap) Handgun

That's really light.

My latest 9mm suppressor is only about an ounce heavier. I was so pleased with that.

The only thing about the turrets that I don't like is they don't have caps. My Redfield battlezone on my Fal is the same way. I'm always freaking out thinking "Did I bump the turret and get my zero out of whack" and am constantly looking at the numbers to see. The longer I have had it and used it that way, the more paranoid I've been over it.

That's why I decided no more scopes like that for me.

I am 100% Kentucky windage guy, I have no need or use for these turrets but this was the only scope to offer all the other crap I wanted in a scope like this.....only if they offered this model with a capped option.

not the end of the world though, I'll zero, reset the caps and look every now and again......its 1/4 moa so you can bump it quite a way before you go off center mass hits , if I am shooting inside 100 yards I am not even worried, if I pull up for money shot I will peek at the zero for sure

real easy to see from the shooting position

I did have the reticle ran for my bulk reloads, interesting ......50 yard zero , you know I got at least try 400

zeroed at 50 today , got it pretty much money quit on the bottom right corner

for the first time in my life I attempted Bindon Aiming Concept, this scope is perfect for it. I did it with the front lens cap shut
man it was awesome, as close to a red dot as you can get.....I had no issues had no speed issues it was fast.
One interesting thing is that I clearly trended all the shots right toward the scope eye .......really interesting because I was throwing it up and firing as fast as I could
5 double taps , both eyes open, front lens cap shut ,dot turned way up, 15 yards 8" ring

I miss the Eotech, I believe this set up is going to be more versatile
just as fast up close in my amateur hand, more precise at all yards , the motion sensor means Aimpoint battery life always on less durable but time will tell that one
using a clear rear lens cap for the quick initial shot

thanks , its a fun one for sure.....I cant believe how low I let myself get on plinking ammo .....I cant shoot anymore till i reload period

The only thing about the turrets that I don't like is they don't have caps.
this has been an issue , kinda .

I put it in that baseball bat bag and packed in the floorboard of the truck , pulled it out a couple times and noticed the windage knob moved a couple clicks.
Last week i put it in a rifle case with a bunch of other guns , packed the pockets with ammo , mags all kinds of crap to go shooting so the gun was pinned I didn't think to check, didn't think they could move .
i shot gongs from 10 to 20 yards all day and at the end of the day I was putting every thing away and flashed on looking at the turrets, so i looked and both knobs were moved around 4 clicks but because I was shooting so close I made all my hits and the ones I didn't make were me sucking
so last weekend I found a "fix" for me , I did this thing and purposely tried to get them to move by packing it in the ball bag foe a day , handled it do , moved it to another bag and to the case and took it out to shoot gongs again Sunday. I ran it and two other guys ran it......turrets didn't move , not at all locked lol but seems to add just enough to fend off the movement from brushing on things

Gorilla Tape...lol tape.....hey it seems to work, we,ll see how long it grips it but these turrets suck

while I was at it I'm going to see if it will hold a 2032 and a torx for the scope base

The Leupold 1.5-4 Mark Ar is a phenomenal scope for CQ shooting, its Firedot set up it the key to it

anyone trying to use this scope fast , and close needs to try it shooting Occluded ......I prefer it with the front lense cap closed.

with the Mark AR the Firedot is so bright you can bloom it out on the highest setting. With both eyes open and the front lense cap shut I got the fastest transition on 4 gongs at 20 yards 5 yards apart then I ever had in my life....on an Iphone shot timer app

love love love the scope,HUGE forgiving "eye box" you can really move your head around .....for a scope

98% red dot 100% 4x scope, great clarity, good light gathering , extremely versatile....if it holds up to some bumps over time I will be super happy

Last edited:
Oli, I knew you would love this scope.

I am no CQB guy, so the open turrets don't concern me. I'm just sniping paper at 50-300 yds. I touch the turrets all the time to set my 0.

It works great on the AR, BUT I really prefer it on a .22LR. Even though the reticle isn't kosher.

I would ditch the sticky tape, and try something else though.

Maybe just loop a good rubber band or an o-ring over both turrets at once, to provide some drag.

I will say that mine do not seem to move easy enough to be dislodged in the gun case, but then I baby these things.

Thanks to your warning I will keep an eye on it now.

I don't know why I didn't think about adding a strip of tape. That seems so elementary.

But at least I'm not the only one who thought the turrets suck.

I got my Fal out the other day for a detail cleaning and to take it apart to remove the carry handle, and the elevation knob was 3 clicks off.

I know, maybe I'm just too picky.

But when I have a scope set dead nuts and enough to hit snuff cans at 100 yards, I don't want to ever be second guessing my scope.

That's just how I roll.

Oli, I knew you would love this scope.

I am no CQB guy, so the open turrets don't concern me. I'm just sniping paper at 50-300 yds. I touch the turrets all the time to set my 0.

It works great on the AR, BUT I really prefer it on a .22LR. Even though the reticle isn't kosher.

I would ditch the sticky tape, and try something else though.

Maybe just loop a good rubber band or an o-ring over both turrets at once, to provide some drag.

I will say that mine do not seem to move easy enough to be dislodged in the gun case, but then I baby these things.

Thanks to your warning I will keep an eye on it now.
oh dude I am far from living through a CQB gunfight , I think its a fun way to shoot , I like to be good at anything I do so ......it beats the bench for these kind of firearms but I really enjoy striving for groups now and again......reloading got me into that though.

I can see it on a 22lr or especially a 22Mag for sure

I think the tape will fall off but well see, it isnt going to hurt anything.

My first thought was to take the caps off drill a small hole in each one , tap them and use little plug screws .....I figure as long as i will never move the turrets from their current set , its perfect to 20/250 yards no hold just poa , love it just like a red dot in that manner as well
Then I thought like you said of an O-ring because I have one of those kit.......then I saw the tape and thought what the hell
But I bet I end up settling on something with an O-ring.......the screw might add weird pressure or I might want to move and not need a tool

The first time the elevation turret moved was only from taking it out of a bag a couple times to show buddies so that's not acceptable, unless you got some super stiff one you just probably don't handle your firearms as much as I tend to handle mine

I wouldn't say I baby my defensive guns but I use them a bunch , sling them , do some bumping them on things .....hike miles on slings, I think turrets like these need to be lockable period , by hand....They are geared toward a person who uses turret adjustments as opposed to holds but i dont think anyone who uses turrets seriously would be interested in turrets that dont lock

It wouldn't hurt to drop an email on Leupold. They might suggest something.

I'm Sort of surprised these turrets don't lock somehow.

Redfield (now owned by and a division of Leupold) don't even make the battlezone scopes anymore.

OK, let me re-phrase that because the word "make" that I used above is an incorrect usage of the word.

They don't import them from the phillipines anymore.

I'm pretty sure the AR mod1 was made in the US.

I didn't think anything branded as Leupold was imported.

Yeah, the redfield battlezones were assumed to have been made in Oregon when I bought it too. Turned out not to be the case. Not saying the same about the loopy, but I never knew the redfield to ever imported anything prior to being bought out by leupold.

Oli, I plan to shoot the fal some more today at 100 (+) today from a bench. I'm going to try tape after I confirm zero. This is the only place I can shoot out to 200+ yards just to play around, but we know I'm normally less than that.

Earlier, I had the scope off and the gun entirely taken down, and also had the piston system apart and I need to confirm/fix the scope zero, and also adjust the gas settings to function so I'll probably be behind it for a while this evening.

I'm also going to be making a shot chart cheat sheet with the ammo that I usually use to get an idea of holdovers and cold bore shot, etc. Something I've planned to do with this gun for a while.

I'm pretty sure the AR mod1 was made in the US.

I didn't think anything branded as Leupold was imported.
they are made here in OR

Oli, I plan to shoot the fal some more today at 100 (+) today from a bench. I'm going to try tape after I confirm zero. This is the only place I can shoot out to 200+ yards just to play around, but we know I'm normally less than that.
that sounds awesome.....mean mean gun

Back