• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First attempt at Building a (hicap) Handgun

Not bad Ke-mo sah-bee
well this morning its locking back the weakest rounds and just ever so slightly kissing the rear of the port with the hottest, all landing roughly 3 oclock with the H3.....I'll leave it and if it eats up the receiver than I'll rebuild it with an adjustable gas block

I have a bunch of magpul products as well as a bunch of most other brands products, I have nothing to say bad about their stuff.... good designs & prices and are generally as rugged as their competitors ..... Yes im rocking a thin beard, but i dont rock the shades and its NOT cause of Costa ..... ha ha [emoji33]
I don't have a problem with their stuff either, its just such a go to for the posers and ....well you know, there are so many options I would just rather not

I agree oli... the tacticool types do tend to gravitate toward magpul, so i can see how that gives them less appeal to us regulars if you will .....

well the H2 worked on all but the hottest round. all the rounds are 3 oclock and using the full length of the brass deflector other than the hot stuff, its still barely kissing the port opening and landing in the 2 oclock

SO I don't want to buy another buffer.....took an H and an H2 and made an H3

we'll see what this does today..... just started snowing

Nice!

That's an excellent solution...

I have used Tubbs flat coil chrome silicone springs with fantastic results and was going to recommend it, but you beat me to the punch.

I've never tried the wolf xtra power springs before.

well that's the one I was conflicted with getting too.....Wolff never let me down yet but the Tubbs CS is supposed to last a lifetime of cycling

well I decided to load a couple weak, a couple strong and a couple old standby's to test the buffer combo

I fully expected 2 of my loads to possible not cycle,lock back or pick up the next round

Much to my surprise it functiond perfectly for all loads

even a bigger surprise is how much all this calmed the gun down

it now is smoother and softer than I ever expected it to be, between the EOTech , trigger and smoothness controlled pairs are right up there with anything I have ever shot.....and man that EOTech is fast, super fast, instinctual pull up ,the two shots happen and hit just like on TV......lol

I never expected this project to turn out as well as it has, should have done this a long time ago

for fun I think I'll take the guts out of the Kuuma before I shoot next see if it is why it cycled so hard

for now it is PERFECT running an H3 buffer and a Wolff XP buffer spring

If you buy another spring, try the tubbs/superior shooting flat coil spring.

I tell you what, if you try it and don't like it, I'll buy it off of you for what you paid for it. I'm that convinced that you'd love it.

I'm slowly "gathering" parts for my trunk pistol build... Most recent was an "H2" buffer and HD spring off Debay. Think I paid $16? Sounds too good to be true, and it was... :( But not all is lost! :)

Out of curiousity, I popped apart the "H2" buffer and determined it contained 3 steel weights, "spacers" and the housing was probably made of steel, making the entire buffer 4.45oz (127g), slightly down from their claimed 4.5oz but NBD. The housing was 68g, each weight was 17g and the bumper was 4g.

To put that in perspective, a PSA-branded "regular" buffer was 2.95oz (84g). The housing was 23g, each weight was 18-19g, and the bumper 5g.

An even cheaper buffer I received with a pistol tube was only 2.85oz (83g) and did not have the roll pin hole drilled all the way through so I did not bother to disassemble it...

The spring that came with the "H2" setup WAS heavier duty than the PSA spring. The best I could figure with my trigger pull gauge was the spring that came with the "H2" took 5lbs to compress 2" while the PSA spring took 3lbs. The "H2" spring was also 1/2" longer than the PSA.

I'm going to try the "H2" and HD spring in my middy in place of the PSA and report back with results the next range session. My issue with that gun was that it was denting cases near the shoulder of the case--maybe kicking back too hard?

If you buy another spring, try the tubbs/superior shooting flat coil spring.

I tell you what, if you try it and don't like it, I'll buy it off of you for what you paid for it. I'm that convinced that you'd love it.
ok, maybe after the summer

Is it stupid to think the gun "feels" faster now with the heavy spring or is that psychological affect ?

I'm slowly "gathering" parts for my trunk pistol build... Most recent was an "H2" buffer and HD spring off Debay. Think I paid $16? Sounds too good to be true, and it was... :( But not all is lost! :)

Out of curiousity, I popped apart the "H2" buffer and determined it contained 3 steel weights, "spacers" and the housing was probably made of steel, making the entire buffer 4.45oz (127g), slightly down from their claimed 4.5oz but NBD. The housing was 68g, each weight was 17g and the bumper was 4g.

To put that in perspective, a PSA-branded "regular" buffer was 2.95oz (84g). The housing was 23g, each weight was 18-19g, and the bumper 5g.

An even cheaper buffer I received with a pistol tube was only 2.85oz (83g) and did not have the roll pin hole drilled all the way through so I did not bother to disassemble it...

The spring that came with the "H2" setup WAS heavier duty than the PSA spring. The best I could figure with my trigger pull gauge was the spring that came with the "H2" took 5lbs to compress 2" while the PSA spring took 3lbs. The "H2" spring was also 1/2" longer than the PSA.

I'm going to try the "H2" and HD spring in my middy in place of the PSA and report back with results the next range session. My issue with that gun was that it was denting cases near the shoulder of the case--maybe kicking back too hard?
the hodge podge of crap these days are crazy, I pulled a buffer out of a gun for a guy having problems, the buffer didn't even have a roll pin at all. It hammered the bumper into the buffer body mushrooming the buffer body causing it to hang in the gun
He didn't even build this gun, bought off the rack....the compleat lower was bought from Palmetto

Sounds like your experiencing the same thing I was. The carrier is moving so fast it doesn't have enough time to release the brass before it reaches the back of the ejection port opening.

A smidge too long of a buffer tube can do it too letting the carrier go too far behind the port and the bolt carries the brass until it bounces off the ejection port

Is it stupid to think the gun "feels" faster now with the heavy spring or is that psychological affect ?

I don't know about faster, but mine sure is smoother. It's like it sits there in my hands.

Man it throwes that carrier back with authority, I can really feel a difference charging it

Wonder how the spring rates compare between the Tubbs and the Wolff ?

I don't know. Like I said, I've never tried the wolff xtra power.

But the tubbs is honestly really nice.

This will take a while to watch, but it has some really good (technical information) complete with sensors and cutaway buffer tubes, etc from the man his self.

3 1/2 pound upper is about as light as I have ever seen one with that length barrel.

Well done.

What handguard is that?

well things got delayed but I got it together and going to take it out in the morning

so far I absolutely love the blade , the dimples on the tube are awesome, locks down super tight with not even the slightest wiggle. The fiber reinforced plastic is really dense and strong feeling but hella light
the kit comes with the blade, tube, buffer, spring, castle nut, GI end plate i exchanged for a QD.....its the way to go for a pistol for sure.
I'm giving my 8" barrel, sig brace, Odin tube and collar to my son for his birthday and he is going to build a little A2 out of it

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow, its supposed to be raining so I'll probably go to the public range for the cover

Back