• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First attempt at Building a (hicap) Handgun

Nope, I was going to run right out but kinda got roped into bbq'n.....and since I love my family so much I did that instead....Thursday me and my boy are going to take off work and hit the range

Mmmmm bbq! Good call.

Range trip with the boy sounds like the makings of a great day. Looking forward to hearing how you like it...

I'd get it dirty as F#@% first and see how it runs with the various loads and the current buffer.

Personally I'd rather have it a bit over gassed to push through the grime in less than ideal conditions vs. taking a chance of it slowing down too much with lighter loads and a heavy buffer. If you can borrow a heavy buffer to try out first it might be worth running it with the different loads just to see...
dude, I got an H2 on the way....got to slow it down a little for the loads I like.
Pulled it apart today after shooting and little aluminum shavings were on the cam pin and that's where they are coming from.
running it reliably over gased is one thing but that's too fast don't you think ?.....also my preferred lods don't really hit the brass deflector, they nail the ejection port hard enough to put a little crease in my brass.
Really noticeable and haven't had that out of any AR yet.....since I reload. The super weak 1900fps rounds seem perfect

Mmmmm bbq! Good call.
Range trip with the boy sounds like the makings of a great day. Looking forward to hearing how you like it...
after today all I can say is wow, I am glad I took the leap of faith on this one

would be interesting to see how it does. is there going to be no lube along with this no clean? or just slap somethin slippery on it when it starts acting up and carry on?

well man, I'm cleaning it so I can really inspect it. Its got upward of 500 through it and its dirty but not as bad as I thought it would be. It has many many rounds left before it would get too dirty to run.
to be honest it was killing me not cleaning it lol.....

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say it's runnin a little hot. Hope the heavy buffer slows it down for ya. Really glad you like the EOTech too...

Yeah, I'd say it's runnin a little hot. Hope the heavy buffer slows it down for ya. Really glad you like the EOTech too...
it better or I'll let it burn through that Anderson upper, get an Aero blem and an adjustable gas block

the loads I like are right in there at the top of data not over in my books, right about NATO speed from a long gun

I feel like the message from Ballistic Advantage was that the Kuuma and the barrel are designed to work together but this thing doesn't need a Krink....getting rid of it would probably help but it does a killer job directing blast....and the handguard is a little too long for any of the linears......my first choice for the muzzle device actually was going to be a linear

Can you tell where the aluminum is coming from? The bolt chamfering the buffer tube, the receiver itself or ????

Can you tell where the aluminum is coming from? The bolt chamfering the buffer tube, the receiver itself or ????
If you look inside the reciever where the cam key rests when it's in battery you can see where the cam pin is shearing the corner off the transition from the bolt being torn from the vine before it is ripe for the pick'no

So in theory the bolt lugs are taking a flogging, but the Aries bolt has barely lost color....and the extension looks fine

Steel is always harder than aluminum, so that's probably why the bolt looks fine.

But after you pointed it out in the picture, I can see some gouging. I'd probably tone it down just a hair.

Is there any way to run it with the Ace stock lower for a while to see if it helps? I know the skeleton uses a rifle buffer, which weighs much more than an H2 anyway.

Scratch that last though. I forgot this was your pistol upper. My bad.

bolt lugs....as it interfaces with the extension, extension is 4140 super tough

I think if it starts to atleast touch the brass to the deflector i'll be cool. It's slaming the port hard and spitting them 2 o'clock and leaving a sharp crease on the lower 1/3 of the brass and that pretty thick brass right there, it is developing a little dent on the rear of the port now too.....pretty much beating the hell out of the upper reciever.

I'm not going to tone down the ammo.....it needs all it can get

Now all this ammo, in fact ALL the ammo I put through my rifle gas/buffer gun lands at 3 o'clock . The spot where it's chewed up on the pistol upper inst even so much as scuffed on the rifle

Pistol is violent man..and I love it !

well the H2 worked on all but the hottest round. all the rounds are 3 oclock and using the full length of the brass deflector other than the hot stuff, its still barely kissing the port opening and landing in the 2 oclock

SO I don't want to buy another buffer.....took an H and an H2 and made an H3

we'll see what this does today..... just started snowing

I have a bunch of magpul products as well as a bunch of most other brands products, I have nothing to say bad about their stuff.... good designs & prices and are generally as rugged as their competitors ..... Yes im rocking a thin beard, but i dont rock the shades and its NOT cause of Costa ..... ha ha [emoji33]

Back