• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

Re: Changing the forearm on a model 500a

Does it have the forend nut and action tube?

If so, its an easy thing! Break the gun down;
begin by taking the barrel lug screw loose at the magazine,
remove the barrel
take the trigger assembly pin out of the receiver, located in the receiver just above and behind the triger
pull the trigger, cartridge stop and interupter, lift out the bolt slide
then finess the forend arms from the receiver

Once the forend is off;
you'll see the crenelated top or forward facing side of the action tube nut
there are actual tools to remove the nut, but I have use a flat file and even an allen wrench, whatever lays across the tube nut and gives enough bite to apply the torque needed
take the nut off then slide the forend off
replace with the new forend
the repeat the process in reverse! ;)

BKMeyers said:
I have an older (early 80's) model 500a and I want to change the original wood forearm to a black synthetic unit. Does anyone have the instructions for doing this?? I've e-mailed Mossberg but no response. Also did a site search but again no luck.

Thanks,
BK

I am about to change mine out. Hopefully I have the correct kind where it bolts on with a nut instead of attaches to slide rails. The ones with the slide rails cannot be changed. I got the following forend and you need a forend wrench that you can buy off amazon or whatever to put it on if you have the kind with the nut.

Here is the forend I bought for mine
http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-227-mossberg-forend.aspx

Here are the installation instructions for my forend but they should be pretty much the same no matter what brand you buy.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/AssetsClient/mos0300.pdf

Here is the wrench I bought
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Deluxe-Un...SDZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316352219&sr=8-1

Dan has done reviews on here for the forend wrench from ATI, and it does make things easier, but again, it isnt absolutely "required".

If you need any more help with breaking down the gun, let us know, there is a video or two on here, and one of our members did a real nice job with photos in this section I think!

On a side note I checked and I do have the one that has the locking nut and not attached to the rails so I can change it out. I also checked and the barrel bushing wrench for my 1911 will not fit over the magazine tube to allow me to unscrew the locking nut.

BKMeyers said:
Thanks everyone. Hoping to try to make the change this week.

BK

No problem, glad to give advice or opinions anytime. Hope they helped.

tnxdshooter said:
On a side note I checked and I do have the one that has the locking nut and not attached to the rails so I can change it out. I also checked and the barrel bushing wrench for my 1911 will not fit over the magazine tube to allow me to unscrew the locking nut.

Lay an allen wrench across it. It'll come loose.

Rossignol said:
tnxdshooter said:

Lay an allen wrench across it. It'll come loose.

Not sure I follow you.

If you remove the forend from the magazine tube, you can lay something across the nut and remove it that way. Thats the way I've done mine in the past.

Rossignol said:
If you remove the forend from the magazine tube, you can lay something across the nut and remove it that way. Thats the way I've done mine in the past.

Oh I get it now you meant like use a little punch and hit it with a hammer?

You can, but if you remove the forend completely from the receiver attached to the action tube still and slide it off the magazine tube, you will be able to lay a tool across the notches in the tube nut. I have used a file, but found that the allen wrench worked best when it was close to the size of the notches. Then you apply force downward on the tool and turn the nut like any other! ;)

Rossignol said:
You can, but if you remove the forend completely from the receiver attached to the action tube still and slide it off the magazine tube, you will be able to lay a tool across the notches in the tube nut. I have used a file, but found that the allen wrench worked best when it was close to the size of the notches. Then you apply force downward on the tool and turn the nut like any other! ;)

I am not really mechanically inclined enough to do that. The wrench shipped today. I will just wait a couple days for it to get here.

tnxdshooter said:
Rossignol said:

I am not really mechanically inclined enough to do that. The wrench shipped today. I will just wait a couple days for it to get here.

Good deal then! The wrench will make it all much easier! You'll be happy with it!

Rossignol said:
tnxdshooter said:
Rossignol said:

Good deal then! The wrench will make it all much easier! You'll be happy with it!

Yup, I just wish it would hurry up and get here so I can get all this stuff installed and be done with it.

I know the feeling man! Its like waiting on Christmas!

I've use all kinds of things to get the nuts off and after years, finally bought a cheap wrench from MidwayUSA. Usually get stuff from them on the 5th working day.

nasa said:
I've use all kinds of things to get the nuts off and after years, finally bought a cheap wrench from MidwayUSA. Usually get stuff from them on the 5th working day.

Yeah I have bought alot of stuff from midway. They ship fast. I buy even more stuff off amazon which amounts to faster shipping and cheaper prices.

Back