• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

Re: Forend side grip?

On my 500, I have one on the bottom AND one on the side attached to an Ergo forend.

To my knowlege, the Ergo forend works on 590's too.

tacticalshotgun003.jpg

tacticalshotgun005.jpg

I bet the one on the side is more ergonomic, natural position. Would never work for me because I like to stow my SG in tight spaces ,the only time I dont like the pistol grip........don’t even go there :shock: My companion guns tend to get a little beat up over time so I would be afraid of bending the action bars. If I did anything I would do the AFG like Rossignols set up.

I like it, I'm sure it serves a purpose!

The ERGO forend def works on 590's and 590A1's, but make sure youre committed to it being on there. I dont know that it will ever come off! Its so tight youll be convinced it wont possibly ever go on at all, but after sweatin it out for a few minutes with a rawhide mallet and a rubber mat, its on there!!! :D

Do you have weaver or pic rails? It's designed for pic so if you have the weaver that may be your issue. I think I have a post around here some where that explains the difference tolerance wise.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Do you have weaver or pic rails? It's designed for pic so if you have the weaver that may be your issue. I think I have a post around here some where that explains the difference tolerance wise.

You mean how I described the rail goin on tight? Its the action tube diameter vs. the inside diameter of the forend which was the issue I had. The rails themselves are 1913 compliant and will work with anything designed for mil code 1913.

Thanks for the replies. I would like it on the side so I can hold the gun at an angle and still use the forend grip without having my wrist bent around under the slide.

John A. said:
On my 500, I have one on the bottom AND one on the side attached to an Ergo forend.

To my knowlege, the Ergo forend works on 590's too.

tacticalshotgun003.jpg

tacticalshotgun005.jpg
Now that's what I'm talkin about.

Tricking out Mossberg 500A

I have the following parts ordered for my Mossberg 500A and cannot wait to get them here and have them installed.

Ghost ring sights (Mossberg brand)
Blackhawk Spec Ops Knoxx Stock
Black hawk Power Pak modular cheek piece with shell holder
Black hawk rubber slip on grip (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rubber-Grip-Sleeve-Slip-On,1453,167.htm )
Black synthetic forend
18.5" barrel (Currently in I just need to pick it up)

If I can find a heat shield that will fit between the back of the barrel and the front ghost ring I will do it as the back of the ghost ring will sit atop the reciever.

I had originally wanted a Mossberg 590 Mariner in Marinecote but couldn't afford one at this time. I saw an add in the local paper for this slightly used Mossberg 500A with gold trigger. The guy wanted 300 which was WAAAAAAAAAY to much so I offered him 200.00 he took it. This thing came with the 28" ported barrel which I will keep in case I want to hunt, a wood stock with rubber butt plate, and a wood for end. I have figured it up and after parts installation and what not I will have about 400.00 in this gun. Not a bad price in my opinion.

I think later down the road I may order a 20" barrel and the extended mag tube to hold 8 rounds. Before and after pics will be forthcoming just as soon as I am able. I also intend to add a vang comp systems safety as well.

Re: Tricking out Mossberg 500A

Welcome to the site man. Congrats on you purchase and it sounds like you got a good set of add ons there. Be sure to get some pictures up when you get it and after installation of your parts.

I've commented on the 20" barrel + 8 shot mag tube conversion before, but I've kind of changed my opinion of it lately. If you're gun is primarily for home defense it looks like a great product. Not huge on the fact that it has rifle sights vs ghost ring sights. If Brownell's would give you the option to order it with one or the other it would be perfect. I can't see spending $180 after shipping just to have to turn around and send it off to someone else to change out the sights. Another complaint I have is that it's a fixed choke. Not a HUGE deal, but I'd like the option to change it if I feel the need or want to.

Now if I had $400 - $500 to drop on purchasing it plus having the Vang Comp treatment, threading for a choke and new sights installed I'd probably do it. Then again, for that amount you could probably pick up a 500 or 590 SPX and be good to go right off the bat, minus the Vang Comp treatment.

Yeah the ghost rings only ran me about 70 bucks no biggy. The stock and cheek rest was 100.00 and the black synthetic for end was 19.00. The 18.5" barrel ran me 75.00 shipping and all. I may try and install the stock and cheek rest and barrel myself. As far as the for end, and the ghost ring sights go I have no clue and will need a gunsmith especially for the ghost ring sights. I had originally ordered a folding 6 position ati stock with cheek rest but didnt like it because the way it was setup the folding piece was right up above my thumb nuckle and every time I fired my nuckle would hit the darned thing and hurt so I sent it back.

Later down the road I intend to add the following

Elzetta Flashlight mount
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GYIE5E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A36ZAOEPX7I0P8

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...IN46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316190489&sr=8-1

I am also debating about finding me another wood for end one that is more ribbed and looks better and putting it on there with the black hawk knoxx stock to see how it looks.

The forend will be a cinch to install. When you break down the gun to inspect it (you are going to inspect that used gun, aren't you? ;) ) just take the action tube nut off, slide on the new forend, put the nut back on and you're good to go.

Yeah I had a gun smith inspect it already they didnt charge me anything. Said it was in great shape. I have no idea how to even break it down. I know how to take the barrel off and what not. I will have to read the owners manual about how to break it down. I fired it several times and cleaned the barrel real good with eezox but as far as taking it all apart I never did that.

Great post by user 911JB: Disassembly and Reassmbly of Mossberg 500. There's also tons of other great information on this forum for you. If you have a question or concern, you can probably just type it in the search field up in the search box on the top right of the site and find it. If it's not there, feel free to start a new thread.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum tnxdshooter !!

Looking forward to pics of that Mariner...!! ;)

Changing the forearm on a model 500a

I have an older (early 80's) model 500a and I want to change the original wood forearm to a black synthetic unit. Does anyone have the instructions for doing this?? I've e-mailed Mossberg but no response. Also did a site search but again no luck.

Thanks,
BK

Back