• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

Re: 18.5" barrel shell size - 3" only?

MikeD said:
old mossy said:
JayC said:
I've been debating getting the 18.5" barrel for my 500. I have the 28" AccuChoke barrel and 24" rifled barrel currently. I've tried doing a search, but haven't been able to find anything. When looking for the 18.5" barrel online, I've seen it stated that it is 3". Can it take 2 3/4" shells, too, or just 3" shells? I've got 2 3/4" shells currently.

just as long as it is NOT a 18.5 breacher barrel.

Are the breacher barrels restricted to 2 3/4" rounds?

no,they have a different mounting lug and mag tube like the 590's.

Re: 18.5" barrel shell size - 3" only?

after looking around i was wrong about the 18.5 breacher barrels.
mossberg does make them for the 500 config.

sorry about the mis-information.

Attachments

• learn_from_mistakes.jpg
    learn_from_mistakes.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 135
combo a 20 or 18.5?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mossberg ... l+Products

I was looking to get the field/security combo a few days away but wanted to read a little bit more. I was under the impression the breacher was a 18.5 not a 20? or does the breacher make it 20?

Anyways, when not hunting I was planning to get a side folding ATI stock and mag extension for it until I started reading the mag extension issues.

For tricking out a HD gun while wanting a bird gun a few months out of the year will the 590 6 shot with a 835 barrel be a better option? Thanks in advance.

Re: combo a 20 or 18.5?

I was looking to get the field/security combo a few days away but wanted to read a little bit more. I was under the impression the breacher was a 18.5 not a 20? or does the breacher make it 20?

Anyways, when not hunting I was planning to get a side folding ATI stock and mag extension for it until I started reading the mag extension issues.

For tricking out a HD gun while wanting a bird gun a few months out of the year will the 590 6 shot with a 835 barrel be a better option? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

1. no just 18.5
2. don't know
3. that could work.

The issue with #3 above is that there are no 6-shot 590's.

Your only option in a 6-shot is going to be a 590a1. If the 590a1/835 set-up is the way you want to go, you could pick up an 835 Waterfowl (model #66720 - matte blue) as your base platform and add an 18.5" 590a1 barrel for HD. This way you have a shotgun with more chamber versatility capable of accepting 2-3/4" & 3" shells with the 590a1 barrel and also 3-1/2" shells with the 835 waterfowl barrel. Not that 3-1/2" shells are a must have for bird hunting, but just wanted to throw the option out there...

So assuming I go the 835 for main gun with purchasing a sock, mag extension, and 590 barrel is there anything I should know? Anything that won't match up? Walmart usually has turkery 835 in stock. I don't care if it's part camo and black etc as long as I can get the amount of rounds I am wanting when making it a HD gun. I don't see the 590 barrels as available as other shottys but I would ideally like 7+1 rounds with a breacher barrel ATI stock and obviously the hunting part could be the 28 or even 24 inch barrel turkey model assuming chokes could change out of that barrel

Everything should fit just fine.

You can call Mossberg sales and order the 18.5" breacher barrel direct from them. It'll likely be around $150. Just make sure to specify that it's for the 590/835 style mag tube...

Attachments

• 90027 18.5.jpg
    90027 18.5.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 208

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided on model 835 #62438 but cant find this combo anywhere. I don't need the 24" barrel but do want it in mossy oak break up infinity with the 28". Thoughts?

My searches didn't turn anything up either, but I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I see one around anywhere...

It's times like these I really wish someone would make me look like an idiot and find it immediately. I guess I could always break down and buy a mossy oak break up infinity model and order the 28" barrel seperate? Then sell the barrel that comes with it ? A lot of effort

Guess that would work too.

These days it's get'n hard to find a lot of things...

old mossy said:
Thank you very much. Is there somewhere you go to see all the availability and compatibility of barrels to receivers? Etc I googled and searched 590 barrels and didn't come up with a list as I did with the other models.

I just made a Guns America account to maybe purchase a MOBU infinity 28" barrel. They seem like gun broker which I don't like so not sure yet. They only want 180 shipped though

1s1k52 said:
old mossy said:
Thank you very much. Is there somewhere you go to see all the availability and compatibility of barrels to receivers? Etc I googled and searched 590 barrels and didn't come up with a list as I did with the other models.

I just made a Guns America account to maybe purchase a MOBU infinity 28" barrel. They seem like gun broker which I don't like so not sure yet. They only want 180 shipped though

no place special looking for 590 barrels.
glad it helped you. :)

old mossy said:
1s1k52 said:
old mossy said:

no place special looking for 590 barrels.
glad it helped you. :)

Figures that would make it easy on me

you could try mossberg,,vang comp,,,,,havlin,,,,,,,carlsons,,, right now with the craze going on it's a real search.

old mossy said:
you could try mossberg,,vang comp,,,,,havlin,,,,,,,carlsons,,, right now with the craze going on it's a real search.

Yeah I assumed by the shelves I see around, putting my AR project on hold for a shotgun project was a better choice.

I was reading and I am seeing people posting about a 835 18.5 barrel? Is this a possible misinterpretation on their part?

I saw a place and I can't find it in my history that was a breacher for 835 and said handled 3 n 1/2. I was going to post thinking it was a typo. The breacher above in google says its for a 500?

Back