• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

Re: Mossberg Rolling Thunder Barrel Swap

Here is what I'm working with. I hope I didn't grab the wrong barrel. Thanks for the fast reply

Attachments

• 20130524_192926 (640x265).jpg
    20130524_192926 (640x265).jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20130524_192932 (640x389).jpg
    20130524_192932 (640x389).jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 110
Re: Mossberg Rolling Thunder Barrel Swap

like i said,,,,you need the stand off barrel.

the barrel you bought is for a 590 or 590a1. the barrel connections are different.

500AT barrel - will it fit any 500?

Hello -

I have a 12 ga barrel that came from an older Mossberg 500AT 12ga. Will this barrel fit any other Mossberg 500 or does it have to be an 500AT?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Nate

Re: 500AT barrel - will it fit any 500?

Samovar said:
Hello -

I have a 12 ga barrel that came from an older Mossberg 500AT 12ga. Will this barrel fit any other Mossberg 500 or does it have to be an 500AT?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Nate

welcome from NY.
your barrel will fit other 500 12ga as long as it's NOT a breacher model with the different locking lug.
you also need to watch the length.
is it possible to post a pic of the barrel?

didn't want to confuse you,,,,heres a few pics,,,,

if you look at the barrel lugs you will see what i mean.

Attachments

• 748383.jpg
    748383.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 307
  • 90024 18.5.jpg
    90024 18.5.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 307

Old Mossy -

Thanks for the reply. Here's the barrel I have.

...Nate

Attachments

• Dscn0195 old.jpg
    Dscn0195 old.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 296

Samovar said:
Thanks for the reply. Here's the barrel I have.

...Nate

thats a regular 28" barrel with the standard barrel lug.will fit other 500's
the AT really on stands for 12ga.
what mossberg 500 are you looking to put it on?

I was trying to sell it to get money for a slug barrel. A guy bought it and then said that it didn't fit his gun. This is what he said "received the barrel and pleased with it but the bolt does not chamber up to it. It hangs and the firearm is a moss 500." As a result I have the barrel back again. This was done via mail so I didn't get to really investigate the situation. If I need to tell people something specific about the barrel I wanted to know that.

Thanks.

Samovar said:
I was trying to sell it to get money for a slug barrel. A guy bought it and then said that it didn't fit his gun. This is what he said "received the barrel and pleased with it but the bolt does not chamber up to it. It hangs and the firearm is a moss 500." As a result I have the barrel back again. This was done via mail so I didn't get to really investigate the situation. If I need to tell people something specific about the barrel I wanted to know that.

Thanks.

one thing you might want to check on that barrel is on the receiver end check the bolt locking lug recess. make sure its not rounded out or has burrs.

Attachments

• locking lug recess.jpg
    locking lug recess.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 288

Samovar said:
To me it looks crisp and clean.

without see the other gun,sounds like that guy had other problems.
if you have another 500 try it in there,or ask a friend.

Yes, good idea. I'll try to find another 500 to test it. It works well in mine

I had been thinking about buying a new barrel for my Coast To Coast ( Mossy 500) for awhile now. Midway had what I wanted but my waiting cost me. Midway sold out of the barrel, cost was $185 for the 28 inch ported 12 gauge accuchoke barrel. Kept waiting around and happened to find a complete 500 in VGC used local for $175 with the exact barrel I had wanted. I am a Happy Camper now. Third Mossy 500 in about 3 months.

shadow_dog said:
Third Mossy 500 in about 3 months.

Believe me, its hard to stop once you start :D

I have two now and really holding off to go look at any more right now. Even though I'm aware of another great deal right now on a 590A1. Glad you found your barrel with a free gun attached to it.

As far as I know it's totally legitimate, as long as the receiver never had a stock attached to it. And if you read in the comments about the stock Mossberg cruiser pistol grip... it would not fall und this category since it's sold with a standard stock. Now as far as practicality goes, I'd say it's questionable :)

Not a lawyer and no one on this website is or pretends to be one so now that that is out of the way.

YOU ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK going that route. I too initially thought it was cool but after looking into it further and asking others who are very versed in and own NFA hardware its not worth the risk honestly to have what appears to most as a sawed off shotgun. The burden of proof will be on you if you are ever stopped by LE folks who question it. While legally you would be in the right assuming you'e followed all the right steps exactly as they spell it out for you it still might wind up costing you alot of money in legal expenses in proving so. Especially if they chose to drag you to jail and took the weapon from you.

When running the numbers after purchasing a host weapon, then the conversion parts etc......... I found you can get a legit factory 590 AOW for around the same cost if you shop around a bit. Have a tax stamp in hand and CYA. Get stopped, here you go officer, heres a photocopy of my paperwork and go about your way afterwards.

Having a tax stamp as an AOW allows you to not be stuck with one specific type of grip either. If you can swing the additional 195 and get the tax stamp having it registered as a short barreled shotgun then you really open up alot of options with stocks too. Just something to think about.

My 2 cents. YMMV as usual. Just proceed cautiously if you follow through with this. Believe me when I initially heard about this I was all for it but quickly realized not worth potentially spending tons of legal fees or more importantly time at club fed for a while. It is just too fine of a line in a gray area to be tip toeing over.

J

Re: Non-NFA 14" barrel shotgun?

I don't know. In a way...if it's our right, we shouldn't view it as a loophole. Like where open carry is legal, it's your right, whether popular or understood by leos or not. Pragmatically though, I understand you don't want to have your toes right against the line.

Back