• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

Re: Stand-offs and Muzzlebrakes Information

Hi. That particular model has a permanent standoff on it. To be legal outside of the NFA restrictions the barrel must remain 18 inches or longer. As long as the stand off or muzzle break is permanently attached (pin and welded or silver soldered) a shorter barrel can be utilized as long as the two together hit the 18 inch mark. Most companies make their barrels a half inch longer just to be on the safe side.

To answer the other part of your question, a standoff is used for breaching purposes. It simply allows you to safely shoot the lock out of a door minimizing risk to the shooter or any of the entry team he/she is with. A muzzle break helps to reduce felt recoil to the shooter. While they might look similar they are two different animals. If either type of muzzle device has sharp aggressive points on it you can also use it as a "pain compliance" tool. Jab someone in the jaw or their clavicle and its gonna hurt like hell for sure.

Thinking of obtaining a 20 inch accu choke barrel.

Title says all guys.

Really thinking of ditching the Choate over folder and going with a more traditional approach possibly. I really do like the concept of the speedfeed stock.

Also saw this barrel and was considering it as well. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/390122 ... t-rib-blue

While there is nothing wrong with my current 18.5 cyl bore I'd like the option to have chokes possibly. So with a 20 inch barrel like this and a speedfeed stock I'd still have something small enough for HD duty but could utilize it for other purposes as well. Mostly busting up clays out at my bud's place but should I ever decide to hunt birds ever I'd be much better off with this configuration for sure.
So my options are to find these parts for my current gun or to look out for another gun with this barrel/stock on it already. I also guess just any decent 500 at a good price would do with the intention of swapping the stock and barrel set out right away. Maybe sell or trade the barrel/stock set it had towards these new parts. If I did get another gun it would be nice to keep the one I have intact.

Just thinking aloudly here. I know deep down honestly I want another gun LOL and will probably wind up going that route but we shall see. I might just try and get a speedfeed stock and this barrel now and try it on my current gun and then if I liked it get another 500.

Too bad they don't do the speedfeed stock in classic wood. That and a matching wood corncob forend with this barrel would look killer.

Any thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

Re: Thinking of obtaining a 20 inch accu choke barrel.

Chokes add so much versatility. They are great addititions to most any shotgun applications. I've never had a shotty without the option!

You can get yout current barrel drilled for choke tubes for a lot less than the cost of this barrel.

personally I think the versatility of tubes is great for any length barrel. Being able to fine tune your pattern with buck from a security barrel is a great option.

I shoot a lot birds. Both orange and feathered. Screw in chokes are a great option but.....a 20" barrel for clays or hunting is not the best option.
Will it work? Yes.
But in my opinion the short barrel will not give you the best swing on flying things.
I have shot Skeet with a 500 with my 20" barrel (Fixed IC choke) for fun.
The front end becomes what they call "Whippy". It makes the gun swing to fast.
I stick with 26" or 28" or even 30" on other guns.

What you suggest can be done and will work but if it were the best choice, then all the bird hunters and clay shooters would be using 20" barrels. Field hunters look for light guns to lessen carry weight and a shorter barrel equals less weight. So it would go to figure that all those field hunters out there would be shooting very short barrels, but they are not!

Do what you want and have fun doing it.

I've found the 24" turkey barrels a great compromise for the one barrel that does everything.

It's short enough for HD/gaming yet long enough to not be too whippy when shooting clays. The rib allows use of sights or bolt on cantilever scope mount and it comes ready to accept choke tubes.

True it's not the best swinging barrel but a decent compromise.

Fortunately you have many many options. I have at least two barrels for almost every shotgun I own. :D :D

Got my 18.5" barrel today

The 18.5" barrel I ordered from Mossberg on the 6th finally arrived today. It was a long wait, so I was eager to get the box open. :mrgreen: It had some sort of oily gunk on and in it with orangeish fibers all over it. I wiped it down and cleaned it. I was surprised how much black some of the patches had on them when I ran them through. It's all clean now and ready to go. I love how it feels on the 500. I can't wait to put some rounds through it.

However, I was surprised how dark the barrel was. I know the description said blued, but I thought my 500 was already "blued." I never thought that it would be darker than what's on my 500. Compared to the new barrel, everything else looks gray. I like the look of the blued barrel, I'm not saying I don't. I guess I feel like an idiot for not actually thinking about it. My .22 is blued, so I should have put that together. The blued barrel definitely looks sinister, and I sure wouldn't want to be in front of it. :mrgreen: I guess it just throws a kink into the looks of the gun. Mossberg didn't list a gray 18.5" barrel on their site. Does the gray 18.5" barrel just come with the field/security combos? If I ever decide to change it to match the rest of the gun how hard would it be and what would be involved?

I appreciate the advice.

I might just watch buy/sale/trade boards on various forums. Maybe put a WTB posting or two out there. Instead of paying full retail on the barrel I might get lucky and find a good used one for alot less or even a whole gun with one on it for a good deal.

As I said, just something I was considering. Again, thanks for the replies.

Re: Got my 18.5" barrel today

the 500 reciever is anodized aluminum. The barrel is blued steel, so that would probably be why they're different colors.

Looks like your gun and the other barrels were in "matte" bluing most likely. Means they simply didn't give it a nice polish job. It may also be parked but I doubt it. I do have a hard time telling with an internet photo usually. Weapon in hand its easy to tell them apart. Your new barrel is obviously not matte but nicely polished blued. You could have it refinished I suppose but I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as it functions as intended thats all that will matter. Worst case you can always entertain a trade with someone for a matted version of the 18.5 incher. Mossberg's part # for that one is 90016.

Best. J

I really liked my 18.5" and only upgraded to a 20" for some extra capacity. Shooting slugs out of that barrel, I could hit the 100yd gong every time and the 200yd gong frequently enough to be overly happy with it!!

What gives this barrel the advantage over my 20" Persuader is the Choke System! I think the chokes give it more versatility then the capacity does and there is all kinds of things you can do with them. from Cylinder Bore to Turkey XX Full and even Extended Rifled Choke Tubes... what couldn't you shoot out of that barrel???

When looking on Midway USA's site at both the 90015 and 90016 barrels, the matte version still looks as dark as the polished version just duller (hence the matte). The mag tube on my 500 looks gray (lighter than bluing). It's the same color as the barrels. You can see it in the close up picture. Is Midway USA's picture of the matte version too dark? I love the look of the blued barrel, but I'm just curious now what my other barrels (and mag tube) are done in?

Here's the matte version:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/971775 ... matte-blue

Here's the polished version:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/748383 ... steel-blue

Itsricmo said:
I really liked my 18.5" and only upgraded to a 20" for some extra capacity. Shooting slugs out of that barrel, I could hit the 100yd gong every time and the 200yd gong frequently enough to be overly happy with it!!

I sure hope I can hit a 100 yard target with this barrel! :mrgreen:

JayC said:
Itsricmo said:

I sure hope I can hit a 100 yard target with this barrel! :mrgreen:

It takes a little practice to know where to put the bead at, when lining it up on the receiver, but once you get that down, you're golden! :D

Luckeeeeee, I ordered my rifled slug barrel for my 930 way back on March 26th n just called in yesterday to find out its been ready but not shipped for some reason... it went out today. My current set up is all the matte finish as well and I ordered my new barrel with the standard blueing too, so nice to see how the finish compares. can't wait to see what a 24" rifled barrel will do for my slug hits, Itsricmo ;)

Make sure to use SABOT slugs in that rifled barrel! Using Lead Foster/Brenneke Slugs WILL NOT cause any damage but your fouling will be beyond bad lol... With some decent sabot slugs you should be able to turn out rifle like groupings! I know Remington Buckhammers are cheap and a lot of them (barrels) shoot'em really, really well! You can get really pricey with Lightfields and top notch Brenneke or Federal's Barnes Expander, but with a good scope and rest, probably clover leaf lol.. Ithaca now makes a Deer Slayer III they say can shoot accurate like 250 or 300 yds.... scary thought with a shotgun isn't it? Might as well make Rifles Legal in those areas now.

EDIT: I exaggerated a little on the deer slayer III... Accurate 4" group at 200 yards. That is a .50 caliber bullet being shot out of a .74/.75 caliber barrel... pretty freaking good if you ask me!

Mossberg Rolling Thunder Barrel Swap

Ok, First off, Happy Memorial Day to all the Veterans out there and to the ones who are no longer with us.

I recently purchased a Rolling Thunder from a buddy thinking I would just purchase a 18.5 barrel from Mossberg to replace the other barrel. Long story short, I have no clue what I'm doing and for some reason the new breacher barrel won't attach to the gun. I'm at wits end with this. Any input other than "your an idiot bla bla bla" would be great.

Semper Fi

Re: Mossberg Rolling Thunder Barrel Swap

unlucky99 said:
Ok, First off, Happy Memorial Day to all the Veterans out there and to the ones who are no longer with us.

I recently purchased a Rolling Thunder from a buddy thinking I would just purchase a 18.5 barrel from Mossberg to replace the other barrel. Long story short, I have no clue what I'm doing and for some reason the new breacher barrel won't attach to the gun. I'm at wits end with this. Any input other than "your an idiot bla bla bla" would be great.

Semper Fi

hello unlucky99 and welcome from NY.
sorry to hear about you problem with the barrel.

your rolling thunder comes with a 23" barrel. does yours look like the pic?
if so it sounds like you got the wrong 18.5 breacher barrel.

you need a standoff barrel.(connects like a 500,,,not a 590)

post a few pics of what you have.

Attachments

• 55605.jpg
    55605.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 90017 standoff.jpg
    90017 standoff.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 115
Back