• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

Re: Non-NFA 14

breakingcontact said:
Pragmatically though, I understand you don't want to have your toes right against the line.

I live on the line my friend :twisted:

aksavanaman said:
it's totally legitimate, as long as the receiver never had a stock attached to it.

^ this

I can't disagree with anything that's been posted so far.

I can see both sides of the debate as far as potential legal issues, but that can be avoided on the front end. Talk with your local CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) and get their stance on it ahead of time. If your county sheriff verifies and upholds the legality of this loophole, then you shouldn't have any issues. Getting them to put their stance in writing, say in an e-mail, should give you plenty of evidence should you ever have to defend yourself in court.

Personally, I don't see this loophole as being any different than a 10.5" barrel AR with no stock being considered a 'pistol' and not an SBR. It looks like a duck, walks like a duck, but because it's never been in the water they call it a chicken.

Makes sense to me...

Forgot to mention the ATF will consider this an AOW immediately if you ever conceal this on your person.

Guys, I also agree this shouldn't be considered a loophole. Its just that you have to tread very carefully here with this one. One small oops can cost you alot more than its worth to have something like that around IMO. Each to his or her own. Its great to see folks exercising their 2a rights. If you choose to go through with this, just tread very carefully. Good luck.

Re: Thinking of obtaining a 20 inch accu choke barrel.

Question from a forum newbie: When did Mossberg start offering short barrels with the accu-choke system? Here's why I ask: In the mid-1980s (I'm thinking 1984), I purchased a Mossberg 500A with a short barrel (I believe it was 20" or 22"). I believe the piece came with screw-in chokes. Recently I had the chance to purchase a shotgun that looked identical to the one I purchased in 1984. As delivered (today!), the gun had a wood stock and foregrip, and the barrel was 20" long with a raised rib and screw-in choke. Now, my buddy at the gun shop said that what I had just purchased had to have been made in 1987 or after, as the accu-chokes weren't available to Mossberg until 1987. We chose not to argue, but - I do believe that what I now have was available in 1984. Could anyone set me straight on this issue - did Mossberg produce short 12 gauge vent rib barrels with Accu-choke systems in 1984?

When did Mossberg start offering short barrels with the accu

This was posted under another topic within the Mossberg 500A section as a response to "Thinking about....20inch barrel". I'll ask as a new question, because I might receive an answer faster.

Question from a forum newbie: When did Mossberg start offering short barrels with the accu-choke system? Here's why I ask: In the mid-1980s (I'm thinking 1984), I purchased a Mossberg 500A with a short barrel (I believe it was 20" or 22"). I believe the piece came with screw-in chokes. Recently I had the chance to purchase a shotgun that looked identical to the one I purchased in 1984. As delivered (today!), the gun had a wood stock and foregrip, and the barrel was 20" long with a raised rib and screw-in choke. Now, my buddy at the gun shop said that what I had just purchased had to have been made in 1987 or after, as the accu-chokes weren't available to Mossberg until 1987. We chose not to argue, but - I do believe that what I now have was available in 1984. Could anyone set me straight on this issue - did Mossberg produce short 12 gauge vent rib barrels with Accu-choke systems in 1984?

I cannot speak to dates and such, but it is possible that Mossberg offered a choke "system" or threaded barrels before the accu-choke system was released. The only way I can think that you could be 100% sure is to call O.F. Mossberg and have your Serial Number checked for Model and Date.

Re: When did Mossberg start offering short barrels with the

I replied in that initial post. If you check "View Your Posts"... you should see my reply there :)

Thanks, Itsricmo. I'll give a call to OFM& Sons on Monday. I'll also start looking at the Midway catalog. You know, it's funny...the short Mossberg 500 was the first shotgun I ever purchased, and since then I have owned Remingtons, Ruger Red Labels, and Brownings. Seeing that old Mossberg on Gunbroker excited me, and pcking it up after it arrived at the dealer's let me remeber what it was I liked about that piece - simple dependability, reliability. Sounds weird I bet, but I feel like I got part of me back. No, I'm not gonna start crying. Just saying. And hey - thanks for the other response, too. Patience is not my strong suit.

I have a choke in my 18.5 barrel that is on my hd shotgun bought it to make into a tatical I used a maverick 88 as I want to keep my 28 vent ported barrel on my 500 for dove shooting and what not.

Quick question -

Let's say I add a scope to my rifled barrel, and sight it in (using any of the standard methods; I'm currently particularly enamored with the "Mean point blank range" method so often referenced by Chuck Hawk's writers, where a particular rifle / slug-gun is sighted in to hit X" high at 100 yards and thus can be held point blank on the "kill zone" for a distance from, for instance, 80-150 yards or whatever depending on rifle caliber and other factors).

If I remove the rifled barrel, keeping the scope attached, and go shotgunning for small game / etc with my smooth bore barrel, will the scoped rifled barrel lose the point of aim / point of impact and need to be re-sighted in?

Just wondering before I spend a lot of time at the range sighting in a scope, only to go squirrel hunting / trap shooting the following weekend or whatever.

Thank you!!

In theory you should still be spot on

I practice, I would still shoot it to confirm.

Like MikeD said, in theory you should still be right on, but I think History shows that your point of impact will shift ever so slightly. IF you do everything exactly the same as the first time you sight it in.. give everything the exact same torque, and really go out of your way not to bang around the barrel much when attaching it... you shouldn't move at all.

Good luck doing all that... being human and all lol

Rising Cost of Barrels??

What is up with the price of barrels these days???
Last time (few months ago) I looked at a rifled slug barrel they were like $143+/- and now they are around $185 - $200 for the Model 500...... Has Mossberg changed something to make the barrels better? More Accurate??

Or is this somehow part of the ever escalating gun climate prices?
Seriously, the 20" VR barrel with choke system is $180 at Midway... I could have bought that for $120 not all that long ago....... Sad that I didn't!

Re: Rising Cost of Barrels??

Have you called Mossberg to get their price ordering direct? I'll bet you it'll be cheaper...

It has occurred to me that they sell barrels a lot cheaper directly! I have been talking to Joe Zahkar (I think that is how you spell it) about a 14" barrel and all the other goodies and I can have that all (minus the Tax Stamp) for less than a new Rifled Slug Barrel lol... That is the Barrel with a GRS and rear sight included!

Speaking of which... you have a 14" barrel don't you? Have you shot slugs with it?
Either way, the prices have certainly risen across the board, from Midway to Brownells, and Souless Bastards... I mean Cheaperthandirt along with other sights I care not enough to list lol

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Don't have my 14" barrel yet...

Oh, I thought you had your stamp and barrel already.
Do you have to wait for your Form 1 to get approved before taking possession of the barrel?

I ask because I have seen where guys do that "Raptor" grip thing to make it over 26.5" length and a non-AOW or SBS... Would be nice to have the barrel in hand and then once approved for SBS too just slap her on!

Yes, an approved Form 1 has to be in your posession before you can own the barrel. The raptor grip scenario, while "technically" legal, is just ambiguous enough to get your weapon confiscated and you charged with possession of an unregistered class 3 firearm. Sure you can fight it in court and likely win, but I don't have the time or extra funds for the court battle. I'm good with waiting... :D

Itsricmo said:
What is up with the price of barrels these days???
Last time (few months ago) I looked at a rifled slug barrel they were like $143+/- and now they are around $185 - $200 for the Model 500...... Has Mossberg changed something to make the barrels better? More Accurate??

Or is this somehow part of the ever escalating gun climate prices?
Seriously, the 20" VR barrel with choke system is $180 at Midway... I could have bought that for $120 not all that long ago....... Sad that I didn't!

Barrels aren't the only thing going up in price. You must remember that the Federal Reserve is creating $85 billion dollars per month (118 million dollars per hour). More money in the system means the money we have is will buy less and things cost more.

Back