• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

Re: Can I switch my barrel on my 500?

[quote="old mossyHello Mike. Welcome from NY.
As it stands now you can not switch the barrel other than another 20" because of the longer mag tube setup and barrel locking screw.
You would need to buy a 5 shot mag tube to use a 18.5",24",28" barrel.

You would need a #10342 mag tube to use with those barrels.
Mossberg or Midway carries them.[/quote]

Does this mean that, basically, the 6-shot 500s are the most adaptable option? I've been comparing 6-shots and 5-shots of various configurations and would like to consider this factor as well.

The mag tubes for the 500 are either 5+1 or 7+1. Some people call the 6 shot and 8 shot.
5 in the tube, 1 in the chamber,,,,7 in the tube, 1 in the chamber.
The 5 shot tube is the one for the 18.5,,24,,,28,,,,30" barrels. Except for that discontinued #90241.
Yes the 5 shot tube is the more adaptable option.

Re: Can I buy a Mossberg 500 SPX barrel only?

Good to see you back edna. How's AK ?

Re: Can I buy a Mossberg 500 SPX barrel only?

Hey guys!!! Good to be around as well:) and yess Joe is the go to guy lol :) he is very good and my right hand! I learned so much from him! Alaska is great ! It will be even better once I start doing some hunting and fishing and whatever else it has to offer haha

Call Mossberg directly and speak to one of their friendly sales staff. You can have one (#90241) at your door 2 weeks later... ;)

Oh, and it's a 28" barrel with 3 Accu-choke chokes and the wrench...

That seems like a lot of legwork when an entirely new 28" shotgun can be had for only about $300. I suppose the prepper in me likes the idea of multiple barrels though. But a dedicated field or trap gun seems to make more sense.

backinblack said:
Call Mossberg directly and speak to one of their friendly sales staff. You can have one (#90241) at your door 2 weeks later... ;)

Thanks, going to call them tomorrow.

backinblack said:

Can I ask how much it ran you?

Since they're still available I may very well order one! (and put off buying snow tires for a few more weeks LOL)

I'll also further pursue my inquiry about ordering some A1 heatshields . . .

old mossy said:
The mag tubes for the 500 are either 5+1 or 7+1. Some people call the 6 shot and 8 shot.
5 in the tube, 1 in the chamber,,,,7 in the tube, 1 in the chamber.
The 5 shot tube is the one for the 18.5,,24,,,28,,,,30" barrels. Except for that discontinued #90241.
Yes the 5 shot tube is the more adaptable option.

Do you know if those are the only options for barrel length?

Can't Find Barrels?

Hey guys,

I have been trying to find an 18.5" barrel for my Mossberg 500 for a while, and no one has them in stock, not even Mossberg.com. I actually clicked around and they seem to be out of stock of all barrels, and there is no option to backorder. Looking around on other sites and I find the same thing, always out of stock. What is going on? Discontinued model?

Thanks!

Re: Can't Find Barrels?

Only 5 shot tube for 18.5 barrel.(5+1=6)

Is Mossberg just not able to keep up with demand? I was wondering if it had something to do with federal regulations and/or panic buying.

Thanks everyone.

Just demand . No federal regs or panic buying. Just when something is "popular" seems like everyone has to have it. Look at how the market is going for the "retro" police style wood stocks for the Model 500. A 40 to 60 dollar set is going in the 100's. Ron

Back