• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

Re: Can't Find Barrels?

I'm looking for the 18.5" matte blue barrel also and can't find it anywhere.

EBAY freaks me out. I always think that all you're getting is some type of Chinese knock off.

Re: Can't Find Barrels?

Welcome to the forum from NY.

I would back order one from Mossberg. This way you know you are getting the real thing.(800) 363-3555

24" field barrel or 28" field barrel

I am curious of the difference between the 24" field barrel and the 28" field barrel. I have the 24" rifled barrel and the 28" field barrel. I am wondering if the shorter field barrel will make a difference in the shot performance and also the transition between field barrel and rifled barrel.

Re: 24" field barrel or 28" field barrel

It depends on the choke. I am pretty sure the 24 in barrel is rifled and has no choke. That would of course have a more open pattern than a longer barrel in a tighter choke. I would love to find a 26 in impoved cylinder barrel for my 500.Ron

Mossberg offers the 24" field barrel with accu choke. The only difference is the 4".

You will see little to no difference in pattern quality, velocity, etc. between the 24 and 28" field barrels (as a direct result of the length). You might notice a bit of difference when wing shooting as the 28" barrel has a bit more weight out front making it swing a little smoother.

The 24" is a good compromise if you want moderately compact HD gun, field gun and brush gun all in one.

The 28" barrel is probably a better choice if your primary focus is shooting clays or wing shooting.

MikeD said:
You will see little to no difference in pattern quality, velocity, etc. between the 24 and 28" field barrels (as a direct result of the length). You might notice a bit of difference when wing shooting as the 28" barrel has a bit more weight out front making it swing a little smoother.

The 24" is a good compromise if you want moderately compact HD gun, field gun and brush gun all in one.

The 28" barrel is probably a better choice if your primary focus is shooting clays or wing shooting.

I'm kickin' myself for not having a camera last time I went out to the range with my buddies... I've always been curious about the practical difference between barrel lengths... And I can assure you there is none when speaking strictly about pattern and vilocity.

I had my 26" 930 and 20" 590.... The other guys were shooting a 28" versa max and a 30" 1100 ( I think).... Other than my 590... We all had improved cylinder chokes and all of us patterned just about the same at 15-20 yards (the 590 opened up a bit more... But not significantly at that range)

So I think it's safe to say that your choke and type of ammo will have a much greater impact on groups than barrel length... The only advantage is handling as mike mentioned.

Short Mossberg barrels

Is there a short barrel for my 500 that is threaded for choke tubes, from 18.5 to 20 inches.
I have done the usual net searching with no luck, I can fine the short barrels, but none with the chokes.
Does Mossberg or anyone else even make one?
Thanks,

Re: Short Mossberg barrels

I don't know of any barrels less than about 26 or 28 inches that are threaded for interchangeable chokes.

If memory serves there is, or at least was, a 20" Maverick 88 barrel that is threaded for chokes which would work. If not, you can always have any 18.5 or 20" 500 barrel custom threaded...

My 500 has chokes, but it's too long at 28 inches, I don't even need to shoot geese, I can just swat'em out of the sky with the long tube.
I am going to call Mossberg customer service and see if they have anything like it for the new year. Thanks for the info, B Moss

Boss Moss said:
My 500 has chokes, but it's too long at 28 inches, I don't even need to shoot geese, I can just swat'em out of the sky with the long tube.

:lol: HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!

That was funny.

You can get a barrel threaded for around $65 and up and up can get it done for pretty much any choke available. (I.e. if you already have a bunch of Remington tubes, get it threaded for RemChoke, etc.)

I've never noticed a 28" barrel being excessively long but then again most of my shooting had been field/clays where that is a desired option.

Personally I find a 24-26" barrel optimal for most of my hunting/sporting purposes. I've got a 21" barrel on my 870 and a 22" barrel on my 500C. These are good for turkey, deer, hd or anything where you are trying to aim precisely but too short for field use IMHO as they swing way to erratically.

That said I've killed several turkeys with a 28" barrel and grouse with an 18" barrel so anything is possible. :D

I bought a 20" Mossberg vent-rib barrel with accu-choke about 10 years ago at a gun show...paid $75 for it.
A guy tried to buy it from me 10min later, lol.

Mossberg 500 BBL made in Mexico

OK, was at gun show today. Found new in plastic Mossberg 500 BBL made in Mexico. Mossberg 12 GA 24" Vent Rib Barrel #1023. Box marked $179.99, then $84.95, and he said how about $65. I offered him $60 and deal.

Are all Mossberg 500 barrels made in Mexico?

Re: Mossberg 500 BBL made in Mexico

Could you check that part number???

Re: Mossberg 500 BBL made in Mexico

Don't know. I can't find that part #.

Back