• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: tnxdshooter build thread

ripjack13 said:
Blue is best.

That is what I had heard. The cerakote is not wearing that bad but you can tell there are wear marks. I could buff them out before shooting it. Now that I have shot it some though the wear marks dont buff out anymore. I guess from where the gun got hot. Oh well. It is still not wearing or scratching as bad as the blue was.

I have no experience with ceracoat, so I can't tell you why that is happening other than saying everything wears out eventually. That's to bad, I wonder if they had a guarantee on it? You should definitely send an email asking them what they do and what they don't guarantee.

Re: Re: tnxdshooter build thread

ripjack13 said:
I have no experience with ceracoat, so I can't tell you why that is happening other than saying everything wears out eventually. That's to bad, I wonder if they had a guarantee on it? You should definitely send an email asking them what they do and what they don't guarantee.

Yeah will do. Its only on the mag tube and slide rails rest of it looks pristine. I am anal about scratches on guns. My 1911 has a couple scratches on it but its stainless and those can be buffed out. Im just picky and a perfectionist. I am rarely satisfied when it comes to my guns. I want them to be the best and look the best better than anyone elses. I should cut myself a break and not be such a.perfectionist.

I noticed the wear marks on there when i got it back from the dude that sighted it in so i am wondering but what he banged it around or something. I have no way of proving that but it wasnt like that before it went in his shop i didnt noice it until i had shot a few rounds yesterday because i didnt wan to clean it again until after i shot it again. So when i finished my shooting i cleaned the gun and that is where i noticed the wear marks. Dude claims he only shot 15 rounds and that is all he charged me for. It just looks more beat up than what it should be considering me and him only put 115 rounds through it between us. 115 rounds is nothing. The xd has 1500 rounds through it and never so much as a problem and still looks pristine. I just dont ge it.

Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Hmmm....why lower your standards now? Keep them up..where they belong. ;)

ripjack13 said:
Hmmm....why lower your standards now? Keep them up..where they belong. ;)

Because i am continuously disappointed because nothing ever lives up to my expectations.

tnxdshooter said:
It appears the cerakote is not holding up that well. It looks like they only put one coat on there (mag tube and slide rails) instead of four like they should have. I dont know that for sure but that seems to be the case. Why else would it be wearing so quickly?

That’s because at the end of the day it’s just fancy paint…it’s a coating, your grinding two pieces of steel together. Eventually it will be bare metal and look like scratched paint on a car. Then it will start to rust. Personally I would only consider painting non moving parts

oli700 said:
tnxdshooter said:
It appears the cerakote is not holding up that well. It looks like they only put one coat on there (mag tube and slide rails) instead of four like they should have. I dont know that for sure but that seems to be the case. Why else would it be wearing so quickly?

That’s because at the end of the day it’s just fancy paint…it’s a coating, your grinding two pieces of steel together. Eventually it will be bare metal and look like scratched paint on a car. Then it will start to rust. Personally I would only consider painting non moving parts

True. It was either that or blueing it. Bluing showed up scratches worse than it does now. It looked really rough when it was blued. Ive not had a firearm finish rust on me yet and i aint about to start now. It is well lubed and oiled. It is stored in a silicone gun sock and then inside the plano protector case. Any firearm i have ever cleaned with eezox has never rusted even subjected to moisture. Water tends to bead up on it and you can just wipe it off and spray on more eezox.

tnxdshooter said:
oli700 said:
tnxdshooter said:

Eventually it will be bare metal and look like scratched paint on a car. Then it will start to rust.

Ive not had a firearm finish rust on me yet and i aint about to start now.

Well I don’t consider bare metal a finish but with the right care I suppose it could work.....good luck

Re: Re: Re: tnxdshooter build thread

oli700 said:
tnxdshooter said:
oli700 said:
tnxdshooter said:

Eventually it will be bare metal and look like scratched paint on a car. Then it will start to rust.

Ive not had a firearm finish rust on me yet and i aint about to start now.

Well I don’t consider bare metal a finish but with the right care I suppose it could work.....good luck

Ill do my best.

oli700 said:
tnxdshooter said:

I jist figured it would have looked mighty goofy to have the barrel, and the receiver done up in one color and the mag tube another color. Maybe next time i will just have it re-blued.

Well everything will eventually be bare metal so it really doesn’t matter in the end, so you might as well do what you like but don’t expect it to be kryptonite. Sometimes a two tone can look cool using a black or grey Parkerizing on the external moving parts like the mag tube. It’s all going to show ware, especially if you use the gun a lot, I scraped mine a little today and didn’t even shoot it…just took it with me up the Pacific Crest Trail to walk my puppy for a few miles.

oli700 said:
Well everything will eventually be bare metal so it really doesn’t matter in the end, so you might as well do what you like but don’t expect it to be kryptonite. Sometimes a two tone can look cool using a black or grey Parkerizing on the external moving parts like the mag tube. It’s all going to show ware, especially if you use the gun a lot, I scraped mine a little today and didn’t even shoot it…just took it with me up the Pacific Crest Trail to walk my puppy for a few miles.

Yeah I've been told hard chrome even wears so i reckon use it and don't lose sleep over it.

No matter what finish you go with, it will wear. Wear marks are entirely common, and on pump guns are usually very noticable in little time.

Cerakote, duracote, its gonna wear. You mention wondering if the guy who sighted the gun in had banged it around at all. I doubt this is the case, he probably only just cycled the action during the sighting in process.

Wear marks... are character. On mine, the parkerizing is worn on two, the blueing on 2 others and I also have an old old breech load gun, maybe a Stevens made, but a trade name "Cleveland Sportsman" 10 ga. Its pretty well beat too. There is little if any bluing left. It started shooting squirells about 100 years ago, well, closer to 85 or 90 years... Its a mantle piece.

Anyhow, as long as youre using it, the finish is gonna come off, it really isnt any sort of defect at all, its just gonna happen no matter what.

You may be able to use something between the mag tube and action tube, like a teflon spray, or silicone spray? I dunno and dont know what the ramifications of that would be... It may work? I wouldnt personally worry about it.

Rossignol said:
No matter what finish you go with, it will wear. Wear marks are entirely common, and on pump guns are usually very noticable in little time.

Cerakote, duracote, its gonna wear. You mention wondering if the guy who sighted the gun in had banged it around at all. I doubt this is the case, he probably only just cycled the action during the sighting in process.

Wear marks... are character. On mine, the parkerizing is worn on two, the blueing on 2 others and I also have an old old breech load gun, maybe a Stevens made, but a trade name "Cleveland Sportsman" 10 ga. Its pretty well beat too. There is little if any bluing left. It started shooting squirells about 100 years ago, well, closer to 85 or 90 years... Its a mantle piece.

Anyhow, as long as youre using it, the finish is gonna come off, it really isnt any sort of defect at all, its just gonna happen no matter what.

You may be able to use something between the mag tube and action tube, like a teflon spray, or silicone spray? I dunno and dont know what the ramifications of that would be... It may work? I wouldnt personally worry about it.

Im not worrying about it.

Re: Re: Building a tactical 500

Gunner said:
I'm looking at putting together a classic riot shotgun.

I've ordered one of these.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2512 ... hotgun-Kit
I like the rifle sights, what can I say.

I'm picking up an older 500A for the receiver.
I have the Duracoat OD or Sniper green
What else will I need? besides deeper pockets.
Suggestions.

Are you wanting it to look like this? If so let me know and i will tell you what all parts i have on it.

M500BlackhawkSpecopsstock3.jpg

M500tacstarsidesaddlepic.jpg

Mine is a 500 a field model

Re: Building a tactical 500

tnxdshooter,
Thats a sweet setup you have there! I'm thinking of going with the speedfeed stocks but haven't decided yet. I have a line on a couple of older Mossy's that would be ideal candidates for a build. Both are less than 200 bucks out the door. I'm mainly interested in the receiver and will probably go with the one that has been drilled and tapped for sight mounts.

Re: Re: Building a tactical 500

Gunner said:
tnxdshooter,
Thats a sweet setup you have there! I'm thinking of going with the speedfeed stocks but haven't decided yet. I have a line on a couple of older Mossy's that would be ideal candidates for a build. Both are less than 200 bucks out the door. I'm mainly interested in the receiver and will probably go with the one that has been drilled and tapped for sight mounts.

Good luck

Good deal and Happy shooting then!!! :D

Back