• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: Building a tactical 500

Thanks tnxdshooter!

I've spent the day looking at used and some abused Mossbergs and have narrowed my selection down to 3 candidates, a 500A that has been really hammered for $110.00 a Westernfield 550 for $150.00 (maybe less) and a reasonably rust free 500AT for $159.00.

I dunno? the Westernfield is middle of the road price wise and in the best condition of the three. I've been doing some research on the Westernfield 550 and as far as I can tell the Westernfield is the Mossberg 500 sold under the Montgomery Wards brand.

Once I get everything together I'll post some pictures.

For those with Westernfield firearms here is a link to a handy cross reference.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.wes ... d-e-x.html

gunner

DSCN0013-1.jpg

Whadda ya think! $125.00 bucks.

That is a good buy just for the receiver and trigger assembly.

From that point you can build what you want. A little ar a time or all at once.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

It's actually a Westernfield 550ABD, which (I believe) is styled after a much older Mossberg 500 action. There are a few differences between this shotgun and a newer mossberg. After some initial testing it appears the receiver will accept newer parts so down the road if I need or want to replace something it shouldn't be a hassle finding the parts.

The most noticeable differences are the Cartridge interceptor assembly, Magazine tube, action slide and the mating lug between the carrier and bolt.

I tried a new 500A cartridge intrceptor with the rear tab (no ear) in the receiver and it fits. Once I get this tub of parts back together, just for fun, I'll do a function test with a new interceptor. The original is in good shape so I'll continue to use it.

The old magazine tube has bands and a flat wound spring instead of the 10 bearing indentations found on the newer slide tube. Also the magazine tube had to be removed to take the forend off. That was a bugger! it was tight! but its done. I've ordered a new slide tube ( 7 3/4") to go with the extended magazine tube, which will update the tube and slide to the newer style.

Now the carrier and bolt is an interesting deal. While I cannot see my self ever having to replace either, if it came to that, I would have to replace both at the same time. This is the one area where old/new interchangeability really takes a nose dive. But really, is this something I'll have ever have to replace? I doubt it!

So far the lights are green across the board, and this is shaping up to be a fun project. I'll post some pictures later.

Edit* there are 10 not 8 bearing indentations. gunner

DSCN0015_01-1.jpg

In the photo you can see some of the differences I have described between the Western Field 550ABD and the Mossberg 500A.

The interceptor, bolt and bolt slide on the left is from a 550ABD and on the right a current production 500A.

I got the speedfeed stocks today. I'm impressed! Solid buttstock and forend. I was sweating the slide tube length on the forend but it a go at 7 &3/4".

This weekend has been an adventure in duracoating! I would like to point out for those who might have forgotten there is a shelf life to duracoat. Particularly the hardner. Long story short, The OD Green I had sitting around and was going to use didn't fly. Luckily I had some Sniper Green. Humm a riot shotgun duracoated Sniper Green...hehehe

I now have the purchase dates written my duracoat. No more guessing like I did with the OD green! The hardner is good for about 6 months unless frozen to extend it's life. I'm not putting it in the freezer. So 6 months it is.

Still waiting on the new slide tube, steel safety button and fire sights. Which all should be here no later than the 14th. Once everthing gets here I'll wrap it up post the rest of the photos.

DSCN0017.jpg

Prepped to be painted
DSCN0019.jpg

Receiver masked off
DSCN0024.jpg

Painted not good lighting and a bit fuzzy
DSCN0027.jpg

Rear firesight
DSCN0026.jpg

Front firesight
DSCN0025.jpg

It's done!

Piece of Cake!

Building a tactical 500

I think I am Going to duracoat the receiver on my 930 spx did you use the bake on stuff on your barrel?
And that looks Dam good

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

:D Nicely Done!!! Been watchin the progress!

Thank You all for the positive feedback!
It was a fun project.

My parts list;

Brownells:
838-100-501 Speed Feed SF 1
078-000-162 Mossberg 500 mag extension kit
631-000-287 Safety Button Milspec metal
962-602-180 1/4" Firesight Slide/Blade WGOS (duplicates factory height)
962-564-420 .343 M Red rifle sight (duplicates factory height)

Midway USA:
562015 Lauer Duracoat Firearm finish 4 oz. Sniper green
331117 Mossberg action tube nut 7 3/4"
423284 Mossberg action slide tube assembly

feegee,
Duracoat is a spray on finish that is applied at room temprature. You can take a hair dryer and heat the parts if you wanted to. It seems flash over a bit quicker if you do. Though at room temprature it will flash over in about 7 minutes or less. Thats pretty quick...I was skeptical of the properties of duracoat when I first tried it. I've done a couple of guns with it and it's easy, and has held up well.

I was thinking of doing HK black, but it seems going green is popular these days. Besides I can always change the color later. :D

Well like an idiot I went out and bought another Mossberg 500! I promise not to Duracoat this one green! That makes 4 mossberg, well three and a Westberg...or is it a Mossfield. Ha! Anyway this latest one may be the basis for my Cruiser in a tube (JIC) jeep gun. You know...If they'd quit selling the dang things for 150.00 and less I'd probably quit buy them. then again maybe not!

Re: That old gun smell... ;-)

Saltmarsh said:
Very nice shotgun. It is good to get out there with your kids, range time=quality time. The phrase from Rocky 4's Ivan Drago "I must brake you" comes to mind with that picture of your daughter.

That's the same look I get when I tell her to clean her room! :roll: :lol: Yes, range time IS quality time, especially with the kids. I hope to make it there sometime this weekend...

BTW, I found the source of the trigger disconnect "issue" and it was this flat coil spring next to the slide bushings on the mag tube. It was prohibiting the slide from coming all the way forward and allowing the trigger to properly disconnect. Removed the spring and all is well--shotgun is NOT a slam-fire... I couldn't find any info on the bushings nor the slide buffer spring, possibly aftermarket?

Attachments

• slidespring.jpg
    slidespring.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,486
After market mods for HD 410?

Hey all,

My wife and I just bought an HD 410 for her to keep in the bedroom. It's her first shotgun and I think it will be a good investment in that aspect alone, however I'm curious if anyone can tell me if after market mod options such as Mako or ATI folding stocks and forends are possible with it? When we decided to buy this weapon, modifying it wasn't on the forefront of my mind, but now I'm curious.... would Mossberg 500 compatible stocks work with this receiver? K. is fond of side-folding stocks and I'd like to get a light, perhaps an angled grip on the forend for her if possible.

Thanks!

Again, not interested in finding out who thinks what of .410s as HD weapons as I'm familiar with the element of machismo that comes with 12g (myself, a fan... my wife, not so much). I could use some knowledgable feed back about whether or not this weapon is destined to serve its purpose in our home as an introductory tool or if there's room to grow if K. wishes to.

Re: After market mods for HD 410?

40Cal! Hi and WELCOME to Mossberg Owners!

I wouldnt ever put down the capability of the .410, my daughter has one and loves it!!! We shoot quite a bit of 4 pellet 00 and 000 buck through it! You can use the same .410 handgun loads as the Taurus Judge, in either 2 1/2 or 3" shells.

As far as being compatible with aftermarket parts, there is little if any support. I'm told 500 stocks will fit the .410, but there will be some overhang of the stock around the receiver.

Are the action bars pinned in the forend or does yours have a tube that slides over the magazine?

What model do you have? You may be able to add a rail for a light to the forend if you dont mind drilling a couple pilot holes for screws...

Re: After market mods for HD 410?

First off, welcome aboard!

Like Brad said, your aftermarket mod options for the 500E are a bit limited compared to the 12ga and even 20ga models and I'm not aware of any side or even top-folding stocks for the .410 models.

Back