• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: Frank's 500 Build

Thunder71 said:
It's -10 right now as I wait for my daughter's dance class to get over, I'd welcome that heat right now.

Oof

Nice setup!

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2

-10 what? degrees? how is that even possible, what with global warming and all...?

Sent from my Desktop using a Keyboard.

Free Man said:
plenty of your parents and grandparents died to provide you with what your government is currently taking away.

how about yours ?

Free Man said:
tell me more about that paracord sling? link?? please and thank you.

Here is the Link. I got the single point convertible sling with double cobra weave. This one is the 40 to 50 inch adjustable length one.
http://www.sandstormcustomrifleslings.c ... _sling.htm

Here is a picture of the ends, they are the HK Style Hooks

I added another layer of Paracord in the shoulder area. Just to have an extra piece without taking the sling apart.

Frank

Attachments

• Sling 1.jpg
    Sling 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Sling 2.jpg
    Sling 2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,037

Frank Castle said:
Here is the Link. I got the single point convertible sling with double cobra weave. This one is the 40 to 50 inch adjustable length one.
http://www.sandstormcustomrifleslings.c ... _sling.htm

Here is a picture of the ends, they are the HK Style Hooks

I added another layer of Paracord in the shoulder area. Just to have an extra piece without taking the sling apart.

Frank

thank you, sir. very much appreciated.

Awesome. That gun is ready to rock and roll!

i need that style scabbard for my mossberg 500. it will not fit in mine with optic or side saddle.

also how does that mesa tac grip work?

is it a adapter to fit any ar style stock?

i have the ati setup with thin grip and was wondering if i could get the mesa grip and run my buffer tube and 6 posiyion stock from ati?

Toys-N-Joys said:
also how does that mesa tac grip work?
is it a adapter to fit any ar style stock?

i have the ati setup with thin grip and was wondering if i could get the mesa grip and run my buffer tube and 6 posiyion stock from ati?

Toys-N-Joys,

I am running the Mesa Tactical "LEO" adapter on my gun. The LEO adapter mounts to the receiver with a bolt, and accepts ANY AR/M4 Mill-spec tube and stock. Where you are going to run into issues is with the AR/M4 grips. Because the LEO's tube is lower, lower than the "High Tube" not all AR/M4 grips will just bolt on. If it is a flat top grip you will not have any problems. I had to cut off the thumb swell, and widen the trigger guard area of the UTG Sniper grip to get it to fit. I personally like the modification because not everyone will take the time to make it fit and work, so it makes mine unique. I haven't seen my set up on anyone elses gun.

With the High Tube, you basically have an AR rear end, with any AR accessories. It also places the tube directly inline with the barrel. The down side to the High Tube, is you will have to run it with Optics, and the safety may be challenging (I put a Cavalry Arms Safety on mine for easier use).

I went with the LEO, so I can use it with just the bead front sight and have a good cheek weld. With the Mag Pul CTR, I have a .5 inch cheek riser so my cheek weld matches with the Sight Mark Sight that I have on the gun. So I feel the LEO gave me more functionality with how I may want to shoot.

I am not sure what ATI set up you have, but the one that came with my Mossy (see the second picture in this thread) the grip was a single piece molded into the receiver mount. I did not have the option to replace it. However if you are looking at just a new stock, if you get a "Commercial Spec" Stock, it should fit on the ATI tube. Again, not sure about the grip.

Here is a quote about the Mesa Tactical adapters from their web site.

Mesa Tactical said:
Telescoping Stock and Adapter Kits

Mesa Tactical is a pioneer in the development of telescoping stocks for tactical shotguns. Telescoping stocks are necessary for operators wearing body armor, or for smaller statured shooters; a telescoping stock provides the length of pull the situation demands.

The concept behind the telescoping stock system is simple: the shotgun’s factory stock is replaced by an adapter, to which standard AR-15 grips and telescoping buttstocks can be reliably attached. All of our stock adapters are investment cast aircraft aluminum, which are then CNC machined before being anodized with a Type III Class 2 mil-spec finish.

To meet the divergent requirements of professional operators, we offer three lines of telescoping stock system: High-tube, Low-tube and LEO.

LEO Adapters
44.jpg

The LEO adapter, manufactured for the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500/590 are our most popular models, and features a lowered stock elevation allowing the use of iron sights or even the bead sight.

LEO adapters also accept optional stamped steel sling loop and hook loops. The LEO’s low price and streamlined appearance make it the best choice for agencies looking for a simple, reliable telescoping stock at an affordable price.
High-tube Adapters

Our High-tube adapters, with mounting points for Picatinny rails, SureShell shotshell carriers and other accessories, are manufactured for the Remington 870, Mossberg 500/590, and Winchester 1200/1300 (High-tube only). They are multi-function single-point mounting devices which form the core of Mesa Tactical’s systems approach to tactical pump shotgun conversions.

86.jpg

Note: This adapter has the thumb swell area for any AR Grip (Between the Grip and the tube)

High-tube adapters share the proportions of an AR-15 and include a Picatinny rail on which to mount optics (note: High-tube adapters cannot be used without rail-mounted sights of some kind).

Accessory mounting points on the sides of the High-tube aluminum adapters accept Picatinny rails, flush-cup sling swivels or Mesa Tactical shell carriers. Tactical lights, for example, can be mounted to either side of the shotgun receiver. Aluminum covers keep dirt and mud out of unused sling swivel holes and accessory mounts, which are fitted with HeliCoil® stainless steel thread inserts for strength and long life.
Recoil Stock Kits

We recently introduced special upgraded versions of our Stock Kits described above. The upgraded versions include a newly developed hydraulic Recoil Buffer which replaces the standard receiver extension tube normally used with AR-15 style telescoping stock assemblies, such as those used in all of Mesa Tactical’s Stock Kits. The new Recoil Buffer is manufactured for Mesa Tactical by Enidine Incorporated. Enidine has been the leading manufacturer of recoil absorbtion devices for stationary, mobile, and personal weapons for over forty years. The photo above, on the left, shows the Recoil Buffer by itself. Note the similarity to a standard AR-15 receiver extension tube. The photo above, on the right, shows the Recoil Buffer installed in our LEO Telescoping Stock Kit. The Recoil Buffer reduces felt-recoil by more than 70%, making the 12 gauge tactical shotgun comfortable for all shooters. The Recoil Buffer is also available by itself for those customers who want to upgrade previously purchased Mesa Tactical Stock Kits.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Frank

Project 500..

I posted some of the process in the newbie section, but I figured I would meander on over to the 500 pump section and throw some new pics out there..

First pic is the day I got the 500..

Attachments

• toyproject2.jpg
    toyproject2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1,038
Re: Project 500..

The following pics are from, after sanding, scraping, painting.

Attachments

• IMG_5132.JPG
    IMG_5132.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_5137.JPG
    IMG_5137.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_5143.JPG
    IMG_5143.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,040

its an 18.5" slugster barrel with rifle sights. My plan for this gun is to use it for hunting. Hopefully this barrel will work, its what came with it.

Tommyttapz said:
its an 18.5" slugster barrel with rifle sights. My plan for this gun is to use it for hunting. Hopefully this barrel will work, its what came with it.

No sh*t! I love the Rifle Sights! I have my security barrel threaded for chokes and would like Rifle Sights but I don't anyone who installs them like the factory does on the 20" barrels and they no longer sell 18.5" barrels :/

is your's rifled?

Re: The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Build Thread...

Hey Guys,

RANGE REPORT!

Got to go to the range today. I went to the local indoor range. Max Distance is 50 feet. I put about 50 rounds through my Mossy. I started off with Wolf Slugs, and had it pretty much sighted in after about 6 shots. I was wearing the huge (I am a kid in a candy store or Disneyland) Smile after the first shot, and every shot after. Then I moved on to Remington Sluggers (1600 fps), Followed by Benekke Tactical Low Recoil Slugs. Slugs were a blast to shoot, and man do they leave a big hole.

After slugs, I tried to pattern the various 00 Buck that I have. I started off with Remington 00 Buck. Then went to Winchester Military, Hornady Zombie, and NSI Law Enforcement 00 Buck (12 pellet). At the max distance of the range, all 00 Buck hit within the body of a silhouette Target. So anything I have will work in the house.

The Vang Comp Barrel was very accurate. I had brought my stock barrel with me to do a comparison, but after seeing what the Buck was doing at max distance. I decided I would do the experiment later.

The ITT Shot Shock, and Mag Pul Extended butt pad worked really well. Most of the loads were very easily manageable. The NSI Law Enforcement 00 Buck really let you know the recoil was there. That round had the most kick out of all the ammo I tried today (My brother also said the barrel was breathing fire out of the ports). Other than that round, I feel I could shoot all day with my current set up.

The Sight Mark worked well also. Cheek weld was solid with the +.5 inch Mag Pul Cheek riser. It was very easy to shoot with both eyes open, and target acquisition was super easy. I did find the mount loose when I was putting the shotty away, tightened it back up. I will see how it holds up on Saturday when I go shooting at a friends property.

The Mag Pul AFG 1, I did get hit in the pointer finger by the front nub from the recoil when I wasnt paying attention. I think I need to adjust the AFG forward a little to line up with the La Rue Tactical hand stops better.

The 2 piece rail covers popped off from the recoil, couldn't get them to fit right, so I will be looking at other options.

Over all, the shotty performed flawlessly, and went boom every time. Cycling of the action seemed to free up, and she is sliding smoother than before now. I am surprised how cleanly the gun shoots. Took her down when I got home, and other than in the barrel, the gun was relatively clean. I can see why people can go so long between cleanings with these things (I was brought up you shoot, you clean).

"High my name is Frank, and I am addicted to the smell of gun powder."
They say the first step is admitting you have a problem....I need to find another word for problem. ( I don't think its a problem)

Frank

Last Target of the Day. 40 Feet, 10 shots, all pellets in the Rat!

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 993

Tommyttapz said:
The following pics are from, after sanding, scraping, painting.

very nice. is that a weaver saddle mount on the 500?

Re: The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Build Thread...

sounds like you had a great day. thanks for the range report. how's the shoulder after those law enforcement rounds?

Back