• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: My Mossberg 500 Pump Action Build...

DHonovich said:
It is really tough to say. I have not had enough time to get a feel for which one I like more. The HiViz is nice because it comes with a variety of fiber optics to choose from and it is very easy to swap the different colors out. The TruGlo comes with only one color but for me I really like the red so as long as you order the color you want having the option really doesn't matter. The HiViz snaps on really easy and comes off the same yet feels very sturdy while on the barrel. The TruGlo snaps on easy but it is quite hard to get off; it makes it seem like it would hold up to abuse better in the long term. I will have to test the durability of both next time I have my Mossberg 500 out in the field. The HiViz's fiber optic is much larger than the TruGlo; I am not sure whether I like that or not. I thought I did but now that I have been running the TruGlo I like the slimmer profile. So overall I am undecided which one I would pick.

Didnt I see ghost rings on your shotty in one of the pics? How are the front fiber optics? The hiviz and the tru glo with the ghost rings?

Did you have the small piece of foam padding installed on the stock to prevent your knuckle from rubbing? I haven't been able to get out and shoot with this stock yet.

tnxdshooter said:
DHonovich said:
It is really tough to say. I have not had enough time to get a feel for which one I like more. The HiViz is nice because it comes with a variety of fiber optics to choose from and it is very easy to swap the different colors out. The TruGlo comes with only one color but for me I really like the red so as long as you order the color you want having the option really doesn't matter. The HiViz snaps on really easy and comes off the same yet feels very sturdy while on the barrel. The TruGlo snaps on easy but it is quite hard to get off; it makes it seem like it would hold up to abuse better in the long term. I will have to test the durability of both next time I have my Mossberg 500 out in the field. The HiViz's fiber optic is much larger than the TruGlo; I am not sure whether I like that or not. I thought I did but now that I have been running the TruGlo I like the slimmer profile. So overall I am undecided which one I would pick.

Didnt I see ghost rings on your shotty in one of the pics? How are the front fiber optics? The hiviz and the tru glo with the ghost rings?
I haven't installed ghost rings on my 500 but I do use the clip on fiber optics and really liked both the HiViz and the tru glo versions.

DHonovich said:
Did you have the small piece of foam padding installed on the stock to prevent your knuckle from rubbing? I haven't been able to get out and shoot with this stock yet.

Yeah it seemed to. His even had a 3/8" detachable cheek riser on it which I liked.

DHonovich said:

Let me know how it goes. I bought the stock on amazon. It had very bad reviews. I dont pay attention alot of times to those as some people leave bad reviews just because they had some bad experiences with ATI in the past and never used that actual stock. However, the ones that were on there had actually used the stock and at least one of the others complained of the same thing that I did that it was rubbing up against their knuckle joint and didnt seem to reduce recoil all that much.

Sounds good. I will hopefully get out and do some shooting with it in the near future and report back. One great thing about ATI is that they are great at taking feedback and using it to make their products better!

DHonovich said:
Sounds good. I will hopefully get out and do some shooting with it in the near future and report back. One great thing about ATI is that they are great at taking feedback and using it to make their products better!

Cool, I am seriously wanting a trigger group mounted safety. I am used to shooting rifles and am used to that kind of safety. I think it might also be easier to toggle on and off than being on the top using a collapsible butt stock. Someone on here said that Mav 88 trigger groups would fit the 500 and you could just remove the top safety and then install the mav 88 trigger group. Everyone else I have talked to and asked have said no including a gun smith or two. What say you? Would you know where to get a Mav 88 trigger grip? That is if they do indeed fit.

I think your cheapest option would be to pick up a used Maverick 88 to make a hybrid if that is what you are looking to do. Check your local pawn shops if you can.

DHonovich said:
I think your cheapest option would be to pick up a used Maverick 88 to make a hybrid if that is what you are looking to do. Check your local pawn shops if you can.

Yeah used one might not be a bad idear considering the new ones only sell 189.99 at academy with 18.5 inch bead barrel.

Parts list for Mossberg 500 build

Parts List for my Mossberg 500 build

1. Black Hawk Spec Ops Knoxx collapsible stock (in route)
2. ATI Black Synthetic Forend (here just waiting on wrench to arrive so I can install it)
3. Black Hawk Power Pak with cheek riser (should arrive today)
4. Black Hawk slip on tactical grip (i have a pachmayr tactical slip on on my xd and like it real well) (Should arrive today)
5. Mossberg #95303 18.5 inch barrel with front ghost ring pre-installed and comes with rear ghost ring sight. (should arrive according to mossberg in about 13 days).
6. John Masen Black Heat shield (in route)

ITEMS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN ORDERED YET BUT WILL BE MORE THAN LIKELY
Elzetta Flashlight mount
Streamlight polytac 88850 flashlight
Tacstar side saddle
Vang Comp Metal Safety
Sling

I truly wish all these parts would get here so I can begin the "Transformation".

Re: Parts list for Mossberg 500 build

I think I will get the 4 shot side saddle cuz I have heard that if you get the 6 shot and have the 7 3/4 inch forend that it wont work.

Sweet, with the power pak I opted not to get a side saddle because I like having a "flat side" ....that’s the side I mounted my sling on so when it is across my back its comfy

oli700 said:
Sweet, with the power pak I opted not to get a side saddle because I like having a "flat side" ....that’s the side I mounted my sling on so when it is across my back its comfy

Yeah I have thought about that to but the thought of having 9 extra rounds of ammo on me plus what is already in the chamber makes me "feel warm and fuzzy".

Watch out on the side saddle, some of the 4 shot are for the 3-1/2 chambered receivers. The difference is the distance between the trigger group pin and the ejector screw. The pin is replaced with a bolt and a different ejector screw to hold the side saddle in place. If you are drilled and tapped the MAX Mount might be the way to go. I plan on getting one as soon as I have the mad money to spend on it.

nasa said:
Watch out on the side saddle, some of the 4 shot are for the 3-1/2 chambered receivers. The difference is the distance between the trigger group pin and the ejector screw. The pin is replaced with a bolt and a different ejector screw to hold the side saddle in place. If you are drilled and tapped the MAX Mount might be the way to go. I plan on getting one as soon as I have the mad money to spend on it.

max mount huh? I will look that up.

If I were to do a four shot it would be the Mesa Tactical

Updated just ordered the elzetta quick detach flashlight mount, the Streamlight polytac 88850 flashlight, and a Vang Comp Systems Metal Safety.

Wow! I'm looking forward to seein it all come together! I'm sure you are too!!! :D

Rossignol said:
Wow! I'm looking forward to seein it all come together! I'm sure you are too!!! :D

Heck yeah wish everything would get here already I'm going crazy.

Back