• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Paint and Refinishing

Camo dip or leave it alone?

My 535 has some nice wood, and I like the look of a wood gun, but after looking at the different camo patterns out there, I've become kinda torn on what to do.

Give me some of your thoughts, what would you do if it was yours?

005-9.jpg

Re: Camo dip or leave it alone?

Buy a synthetic stock and forend to dip and swap out for whatever you need that day. It doesn't take but 10 minutes once you get it down.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish with your gun. I like the look of a wood gun as well, however, I got my 535 in Mossy Oak camouflage because I use it for turkey hunting. Turkeys can see the movement of a shiny blued barrel so if you're planning on turkey hunting I would camo it.

you could dip the metal...and keep the wood. just refinish it...

I wouldn't cover the wood. it looks good.

I would go with another gun with a synthetic stock if you wanna camo it.

I don't really know what to suggest.

I too think I would opt to get synthetic furniture for a camo job just for the big reason that getting a new gun with wood is becoming increasingly difficult and I don't know how hard it would be to sand down and refinish wood that has had a bunch of paints and dies and inks soaked in it.

^^^right on to that one. If you did dip the wood then later on decide to go back to wood...you would have to bleach it after you sanded the crap out of it. And then it would be all greyed out and fugly.

I would swap the furniture for synthtic then dip...keeping the original look intact if you want to swap back...

Thanks guys, It's really my go to gun, I use it for everything from shooting skeet, to dove shoots, turkey, small game animals and I probably shoot close to 200 rounds a month through it.
I really like the wood and getting synthetic, I'd get to keep the wood, but what about the barrel, it's gonna get scratched and what not toting it around in the woods, it's already showing some minor scratches.
I just thought that the camo-dip would protect it a little better from wear and tear, but it would look kinda tacky with a camo barrel and receiver, but wood furniture, don't you think?

Maybe it's time to just go get a Maverick 88...

The camo will get scratched as well, my 535 is showing scratches already after just one season. On a blued barrel, scratches are nothing a good coat of oil won't protect. I just try not to bang the gun around when I'm in the woods, it doesn't always work, but I try. Also, I rarely hunt with a shotgun in the rain, but I do take my rifles out for deer in the rain. A good coat of oil prevents most rust, I just make sure to know what the weather will bring before heading out in the woods.

Through normal use, guns will all show wear, I just try to keep them clean and functional.

As for camo metal with wood: I think it would look different that's for sure. It's not something I've seen before, but I don't think it would look terrible. Also, another gun is never a bad idea, as you can never have too many.

I can't seem to find it now, but there is a picture floating around on the net that has a shotgun in camo with a wood stock and forend. I tried searching for it for about 5 min, but can't seem to find it. I know I saw it on google images though ... so if you wanna invest the time searching it's out there. I just don't remember what I was looking for when I found it.

EDIT: Not the image I'm talking about, but here's a small example.
al17445.jpg

Yes..see what I'm talking about.

That.....looks great.

Yea, if I come across it again I'll post it. I'm pretty sure I was researching AR stuff and came across it for whatever random reason, but I don't remember.

DuraCoating My 500A - T1 Tactical Black

This is a photo journal of my refinishing project for my 500A 12-gauge. These pics show the parts already disassembled, degreased, buffed with abrasive pads, then masked and prepped for the final finish.

I plan on spraying the DuraCoat this Wednesday, March 21st. I'll shoot new pics during the refinishing...after about 4 weeks, I'll reassemble the gun, and shoot additional pics.

As for the album below on facebook, when you get to the album, and choose a pic to view, open it, then RIGHT click on the pic...a pop-up menu appears --- LEFT click on VIEW IMAGE, and you'll see just the image in your browser...you can then enlarge the picture from there for a closer look.

Dave

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.336484056404100.100569.100001275266166&type=3&l=86c997fbb4

Re: DuraCoating My 500A - T1 Tactical Black

looks good dave! i'll be intrested in seeing the final product.

Back