• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

whats the diffrence?

what is the diffrence in design (besides the 3-1/2 option) between the mossberg 500 and the mossberg 535 if there are none are the accesories inter changable between the 500 and 535

Re: whats the diffrence?

Generally stocks and forends should be interchangable between the two. Just make sure you know the length of the magazine tube and whetherior not it is pinned before you order new parts. There are several threads in the this forum that go into detail on the differences if you are unfamiliar.

Is there a specific accessory you are interested in?

i just like being able to take all ammo possabilities presented to me at a given situation and yes i would like to get a metal triger group and a metal saftey slide oh and mabye a tube extention cause the 535 only takes 4+1 and i at least want 5or6 +1

If youre ever gonna do an extended magazine, it will have to be a 590/590A1 or an 835. The configuration of all other 500 series shotguns prevent modification.

Also, most if not all of the sporting guns (at least the sythentic furniture for sure) have pinned forends, and the pinned forends are showin up more and more in the special purpose line. I've seen a couple Persuaders with it.

I wont argue against the 535, but a gun chambered 2 3/4" or 3" will give you many more options in the way of ammunition. The cylinder bore is an excellent choice in general, but I know you've mentioned comp and sport and would consider threading the muzzle.

The 835 honestly offers the most in the way of bein able to extend the magazine, use choke tubes, fire magnum loads and can be modded with most aftermarket parts available.

thanks i think that i will go with the 835 then cause i would like the option to expand on adaptabilty

Nice! Some of those models are threaded already too.

Yes, that is the style of magazine that can be extended.

EDIT:
This model is threaded and includes the X-Factor ported tube.

thank you every one here for giving me strait forward information oh and rossignol nice youtube channel

Re: Pinned forend question

from what I've been sein, the sporting forends are the ones we've been refering to as "pinned" as opposed to the ribbed forends which is fitted over the action slide tube.

The action bars are pinned to the slide tube itself rather than "pinned" to the forend.

I havent yet seen the pinned (to the forend itself) models on special purpose models so long as they have the police/riot gun styled forends.

I own a 1911 lightweight loaded A1 from Springfield Armory. It isnt a "Colt" but it is an ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) and is refered to as a "Colt" 1911 govt model when I look for parts for it.

OH! For the longest time, I didnt realize the "C" in ACP stood for Colt and had thought it meant Auto "Cocking" Pistol! :lol: Even called it such right here on this forum! :D

the colt was the first firearm i ever shot and yea i was confused for the longest to then AE=auto express so i finally figured out the the A= auto and then my dad told me the cp part

if you ever have the chance the Jherico 45 shoots about the same as a 1911 but with a little less kick because it was designed after the desert eagle

I dont much worry about recoil. Heck My now 13 year old daughter started shooting my 1911 almost two years ago.

As for recoil, you just roll with it. I practice with dry firing so when we do shoot we dont anticipate the recoil and flinch, or pull. One of the purposes of doin video is so we can go back and look at what we were doin and analyze or critique ourselves much like sports teams will do. Every now and then we'll see where we flinched when we go to fire and the safety was still on...

Really Dumb Questions re: Slugs

I have a 12 gauge Mossberg 500.

1. What is the difference between a rifled slug and a sabot slug?

2. Can I shoot them with my Mossberg 500 w/ cylinder bore choke?

Re: Really Dumb Questions re: Slugs

Rifles slugs have ribs and are meant to be shot from a smoothbore barrel. You wont damage a rifled barrel shooting these but you may experience leading and you will not be getting the most out of the rifled barrel

Sabots have a plastic outer cup that is designed to grip the rifling in a fully rifled barrel and in some limited applications rifled choke tubes. You can shot these from a non rifled barrel but will have poor accuracy at a high cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Really Dumb Questions re: Slugs

I'll second MikeD. With your smoothbore/cylinderbore 500, youll be best served with rifled slugs.

Just as MikeD mentioned, sabots can be used and wont do any damage to your barrel, but theyre expensive and wont be as accurate as a rifled slug. In fact theyll likely tumble and keyhole in targets.

Back