• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Side Saddle/Shotshell Holder Options

I tried the search function for 20 guage side saddles but it came up no good. Does anyone know of a 20 guage side saddle that can be used on a field grade gun without modifying the factory fore-end? Thanks . tom.

Hi, everyone. :) I got a Mossberg 500 from Dunhams Sports back in September. It came with a 24" rifled barrel (and scope) and a 28" Accu-Choke field barrel. I've been lurking the forum pretty much since getting it. I've been looking at all the cool Mossbergs and want to start accessorizing mine. :mrgreen: The first thing I was thinking of is the 18.5" barrel and a side saddle. I have read before that a side saddle won't work with a 500 that has a forend that overlaps the receiver. Here's a picture of mine.

P1020142.jpg

My question is, is there a receiver mounted side saddle that would work with my forend? I don't really want to replace it quite yet, and I sure don't want to cut it like I read some others have done. The shorter barrel and side saddle are the main changes I want to focus on right now. I'm not sure how I want to accessorize the gun completely since I want to still be able to use it for hunting purposes, too.

Too my knowledge none of the side saddle options available will work with your forend. Most if not all of them are places all the way forward so you can "Tac-Reload" by removing a shell from the saddle, draw it directly across the receiver and then in through the ejection port onto the feed ramp... followed by a pump forward. All remaining shells should be inline with the loading port so you can grab them and put them in with minimal travel from saddle to tube.

Also, I see that your forend is a "pinned" forend. Meaning your action bars are attached to the forend instead of the "old" slide tube assembly version. Changing your forend would require that you purchase either a 6-3/4" or 7-5/8" slide tube assembly and if you get the shorter of the two, you may have to purchase the adapter nut so that your forend of choice fits...

Feel free to PM me if you need!
Rick

JayC said:
Hi, everyone. :) I got a Mossberg 500 from Dunhams Sports back in September. It came with a 24" rifled barrel (and scope) and a 28" Accu-Choke field barrel. I've been lurking the forum pretty much since getting it. I've been looking at all the cool Mossbergs and want to start accessorizing mine. :mrgreen: The first thing I was thinking of is the 18.5" barrel and a side saddle. I have read before that a side saddle won't work with a 500 that has a forend that overlaps the receiver. Here's a picture of mine.

P1020142.jpg

My question is, is there a receiver mounted side saddle that would work with my forend? I don't really want to replace it quite yet, and I sure don't want to cut it like I read some others have done. The shorter barrel and side saddle are the main changes I want to focus on right now. I'm not sure how I want to accessorize the gun completely since I want to still be able to use it for hunting purposes, too.

When looking for a 18.5 barrel, just make sure it matches your mag tube. I believe you have the 5 shot mag tube.

As far as side saddle, look for a 4 round saddle. I am guessing the 4 round will fit without modification.

If you want a longer side saddle, you could always replace your pump handle, and keep the one you have now unmodified.

Frank

Frank Castle said:
As far as side saddle, look for a 4 round saddle. I am guessing the 4 round will fit without modification.

I could be wrong but I think the MESA Tactical will not fit without modification. They essentially remove the back 2 or 4 loops from the 6 or 8 round saddles to make the 4. Leaving everything right up front and inline with the Loading Port and Ejection Port.

A Velcro system could work as he would be able to mount it further back on the receiver to allow clearance!

Itsricmo said:
Too my knowledge none of the side saddle options available will work with your forend. Most if not all of them are places all the way forward so you can "Tac-Reload" by removing a shell from the saddle, draw it directly across the receiver and then in through the ejection port onto the feed ramp... followed by a pump forward. All remaining shells should be inline with the loading port so you can grab them and put them in with minimal travel from saddle to tube.

Also, I see that your forend is a "pinned" forend. Meaning your action bars are attached to the forend instead of the "old" slide tube assembly version. Changing your forend would require that you purchase either a 6-3/4" or 7-5/8" slide tube assembly and if you get the shorter of the two, you may have to purchase the adapter nut so that your forend of choice fits...

Feel free to PM me if you need!
Rick

Thanks for the heads up on the forend. I was wondering what kind I had after looking on ATI's website at their forends. How can I determine which forend I have?

Frank Castle said:
When looking for a 18.5 barrel, just make sure it matches your mag tube. I believe you have the 5 shot mag tube.

If you want a longer side saddle, you could always replace your pump handle, and keep the one you have now unmodified.

Frank

Yeah, I do have the 5 round mag. I've looked on the Mossberg website and it looks like the 18.5" barrel would work.

Itsricmo said:
I could be wrong but I think the MESA Tactical will not fit without modification. They essentially remove the back 2 or 4 loops from the 6 or 8 round saddles to make the 4. Leaving everything right up front and inline with the Loading Port and Ejection Port.

A Velcro system could work as he would be able to mount it further back on the receiver to allow clearance!

When you say velcro system, are you referring to the Vang Comp system at the beginning of the thread? That's a bit more than I was looking to spend. :oops: Are there cheaper ones available? I'm still not too familiar with the saddle options available.

I was speaking in General Terms but yes, a similar model is probably what you are looking for. If you want it to clear the pump when it comes back you need something you can physically place yourself far enough back on the receiver to allow proper function.

So I want to some ammo storage capacity to my m500. I don't like side saddles,.throw off the balance of.the gun. I'm looking.to.get a stockmounted holder. Is anyone familiar with the Phoenix technologies and ATI 5 shell holders? Is one more durable than the other? Im actually going to remove one of the shell holders to make it a 4. Only because its going on a compstock and I need space for the stock to engage back and fourth with recoil. I bought a Allen nylon holder, won't work with my application.
Thanks

I had a 6-shell Tacstar on order but after fully reading through this thread I've cancelled the order and decided to go with the 3 Gun Gear six shell velcro setup for my home defense Mossberg 500. However, for my intended use on a home defense shotgun I'm leaning toward *not* getting the pull-tab but would like to hear pros and cons before I place my order. What do you think? TIA

With the comp-stock, your options of "stock mounted" holders are extremely restricted. The nature of how your stock works in reducing recoil is the PITA. I have seen some photos of the saddles attached with bolts/screws through the stocks but you would almost have to set your's at an angle or sideways.

Know what I mean?

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's annoying how the compstock limits my stock mounted shell holders. But the hassle will be worth it. I really like the stock, once I explore my options on stock mounts ill just go sidesaddle if I can't find a solution. But as of now I'm haveing my wife work on the Allen shell holder, if. She's going to cut off one off the shell slots fold in excess and sew it to give it extra support for slippage. If that doesn't work il going to get the dimensions of the stock mount holders. Either way illl post my findings here and on my build thread

Yes, if money were not an object then I would definitely go with Mesa. They look really slick. However, since I'm doing my tactical build on a budget, I think the Velcro systems are the best value. I'll probably be ordering mine tomorrow. I just haven't decided on whether the pull tab is the way to go for my home defense application.

Well in that case then most certainly, the velcro is the best route! Don't get me wrong many users have also reported great success and results with the velcro systems! They aren't to be discounted but I can only speak for MESA Tactical. I know there are many people here at MO that strictly operate with a velcro saddle and cards!

Does anyone know what the turnaround time is from 3GunGear? I just checked on my sidesaddle order and it still just says "Approved":

Order Date: 04/16/2013 (09:02:01 AM)
Today's Date: 04/24/2013

This is my last mod before being done with my budget build and I'm REALLY anxious to finish.

lol regardless of how long it actually takes, it is going to feel like forever since it's the finishing piece :p I haven't heard anything bad about 3-gun Gear so I would imagine it is going to be a decent turn around. Keep in mind the current gun climate is going to have the swamped with orders for just about everything...

bwalker said:
Does anyone know what the turnaround time is from 3GunGear? I just checked on my sidesaddle order and it still just says "Approved":

Order Date: 04/16/2013 (09:02:01 AM)
Today's Date: 04/24/2013

This is my last mod before being done with my budget build and I'm REALLY anxious to finish.

It's been a while since I orderred from them but I had my stuff within a few week if I remember correctly.

Back