• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Wylde SPR

what are you putting on the end of the barrel ?

Something that costs at least half of the rifle!

Not sure if I'll go with a brake or flash hider yet... Maybe the Miculek, maybe the BCM one... What are you running?

Spensive...

I'm really not sure. The crowd is always so devided on the affectivness of muzzle devices... when we're talking within the confines of either a brake or a flash hider. Some people think the A2 is crap... others feel it's the best at what it does at a $6 price point. I really liked the battlecomp, but would I spend another $140 when I can get the same performance from a $50 brake... I'm not sure.

yeah, I splurged because it makes me feel better after spending a month in a tent this summer.

no effective comp/brake is going to hide flash.....but my reloads don't really flash

for 6 bucks you cant hide flash better than the A2

for more money the Smith Vortex is the best at hiding flash, has a weird metal "ping" after every shot, quite long though

Yeah, it might not bother some folks... but the vortex ping would bug me. I'm setting a personal goal to keep it well under $100. A nice effective brake that's not earth shattering loud to folks around me.

Both the BCM and the Spikes (which is really just a copy of the Battlecomp) get good reviews and come in around $90. Troy makes the claymore but I'm not to keen of the midevil spike look.

Yeah, it might not bother some folks... but the vortex ping would bug me. I'm setting a personal goal to keep it well under $100. A nice effective brake that's not earth shattering loud to folks around me.

Both the BCM and the Spikes (which is really just a copy of the Battlecomp) get good reviews and come in around $90. Troy makes the claymore but I'm not to keen of the midevil spike look.

I doubt I would even notice the ping wearing plugs.

There is no such thing as an effective brake or comp or combo of the two that isn't brutal on the flanks. I ran the spotting scope for one of my shooting partners whale he shot my rifle and I was surprised how much worse it was than my Rainer mini comp. You're going to have to make a choice there, if your really worried about people shooting next to you then don't get a comp of any kind.
The ones that direct it elsewhere or claim they aren't bad on the flanks simply aren't as effective, physics . All the top comp/brake move gas and a lot of it, no compromise here

If you want one and a decent one under 100 bucks don't forget to look at the Rainer comps, work good and great price. Now that I shot the Lantac for a while it is very nice, I can notice a distinct improvement over the RMC ......but the RMC was 50 bucks, is the Lantac over twice as good based on price, probably not.

I will be following too. You guys are all a wealth of AR information. I need to learn more for what I want to build. First will becompleting the 80% lower I bought at a gun show last winter. Rock on AK and thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a real solid plan you got going here. My vote is for the Spikes honey badger lower. Do you know which one your gonna go with?

PA has the Spike's punisher lower and upper for a decent price... I'd go with blemished parts from BCM or PSA... but none of my usual go-to vendors have any in stock currently. The upper and lower will be the next purchase until I get a nice chunk of change from a travel claim I'm still set to receive.

No but the movie with John Travolta was AWESOME!!!! Lol... I knew you'd pick up on it;)

While we're on the topic of upper and lowers.... does anyone else share the sentiment that with today's quality manufacturing and forging process (and the fact that there's only a hand full of factories that actually do the forging) almost all "mil-spec" upper and lowers are equal? I've built two AR's for myself and 3 for friends so far. I have used BCM, PSA, Stag, DD and DPMS parts for this and have yet to find any appreciable difference between them. And I'm just talking the upper and lower here....

what are you putting on the end of the barrel ?

GFA.050-2T.jpg

I like it... similar to the Battlecomp... but $60 cheaper. Mostly positive reviews...
http://www.skdtac.com/Griffin-Armament-M4SD-II-Tactical-Compensator-p/gfa.050.htm

This one's gonna make @oli700 either happy or roll his eyes....

I think I found my upper and lower set, because this is a deal I'm not sure can be beat....

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-receiver-set-and-scope-mount.html

$204 for a quality upper and lower AND the lightest one piece scope mount out there (that's what actually brought me to Aero... I wanted to see if there was something lighter than the Larue LT104 at 7 oz ... this one's is more than half the weight at 2.8 oz and half the cost!)

Edit: And they offer a Mil discount and free shipping....Done deal man!

Last edited:
Don't forget the GG&G bipod lol, its all good bro. You have changed a couple things.....we will see what kind of stock mysteriously pops into your very creative and unique mind.
Its ok I have two friends , when we are shooting , that I accidentally pick their rifles up they are so close to mine.
I have all new parts in mind if I were to do another one for me....
one of my closest friends was asking my what I would build next for me , all the parts for a couple days we talked , told him all the changes I would make......in exactly one week I was helping him put the very rifle together....his new name is sheep bastard that cant think for himself .....its Native American lol

You might want to reconsider the MI handgaurd though, I read somewhere you didn't like the narrowness of another HG you tried
Have you held or shot a rifle with the Gen2 SS ? .....probably the smallest diameter HG on the market or second slimmest

The part that sucks for you is when you get done and post pics, people will be like, "sweet, you bought oli700's rifle.....grouped way better when he owned it for some reason"

Last edited:
Aero makes Spikes Tactical's receivers, so you're gonna end up with the same thing going that route. Just no punisher logo...

Don't forget the GG&G bipod lol, its all good bro. You have changed a couple things.....we will see what kind of stock mysteriously pops into your very creative and unique mind.
Um... I'm gonna need the Atlas bipod (not sure which one's more $$$;))

You might want to reconsider the MI handgaurd though, I read somewhere you didn't like the narrowness of another HG you tried. Have you held or shot a rifle with the Gen2 SS ? .....probably the smallest diameter HG on the market or second slimmest.

I can't confirm or deny that I ever made such comments, but regardless... I do like slim and trim now. A 15" handguard at 10oz, that's damn light in my book!

The part that sucks for you is when you get done and post pics, people will be like, "sweet, you bought oli700's rifle.....grouped way better when he owned it for some reason"

....keep it up, if you're not gonna give me s#!t who will?

Back