• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Wylde SPR

Thanks folks! I haven't decided if I'm gonna run BIUS on this... I don't think I'd ever need them, but then again God forbid that I will and don't have themo_O

Hopefully I'll get some time on Sat to sight this in... looking at making use of my long weekend and hitting the hills for some deer spotting!

cool !, heat that baby up.
I don't like not having the BUIS on mine.
I am in need but the ones I want are bank......don't want ones I cant fold because I want to have them offset........really considering an offset reflex but that still isn't rock solid dependable as a secondary sight and more intrusive , just need to decide how much I would actually use it. Sucks, always needing something and the stuff I like is to damn expensive.

I think that barrel's thick enough that I won't have much of an accuracy loss with a warm barrel... plus there's enough airflow through that handguard that it'll be a non-issue (I hope). I took somewhat of a gamble with this barrel as there aren't many reviews out on Odin Works stuff (other than their handguards.

I predict that those 77grn Fiocchi's and the Hornady A-Max load will be real performers. And if this can shoot 855 and 193 decently... Oh man Oh man!

You were warned beforehand.
yeah, its a mighty powerful temptation, hard to resist

I think that barrel's thick enough that I won't have much of an accuracy loss with a warm barrel... plus there's enough airflow through that handguard that it'll be a non-issue (I hope). I took somewhat of a gamble with this barrel as there aren't many reviews out on Odin Works stuff (other than their handguards.

I predict that those 77grn Fiocchi's and the Hornady A-Max load will be real performers. And if this can shoot 855 and 193 decently... Oh man Oh man!

figure of speech dude, my spr profile doesn't heat up easily but when it does it takes a bit to cool down. When I got that handguard I was worried about it getting hot on the hand because it was new to the market and the couple things I could find about it hinted toward a potential problem with that but it has been a nonissue , I even saw a picture of a dude that wrapped it in p-cord because it was apparently unbearable, I know now that guy has baby skin for hands ......now since you have the gas block in there you probably wouldn't want your skin to go through the holes and touch it, I imagine its pretty close to the handguard I know there is not much room to spare in there

hope you ammo does what you want it to but don't be discouraged if it doesn't, all depends on your expectations I guess, mine have little to no bounds. You wont really know a difference in them and 55gr till you get out past 300 or so

I was getting frustrated working up 77 and 69gr loads because I was using 100 yards for everything and they weren't out performing my 55gr load, took them all out to 3-400 and I was like "oh, ok" they shame the 55gainers out there

I guess 100yd will be the benchmark start... I've got room for 400 at the range here. There's a couple of beach spots that would let me push it out further but we'll start simple first.

Oh, I meant to ask... does it really matter what grease you use on the barrel nut? I didn't have anti seize... so i just used the grease I had laying around. I don't plan on removing this barrel, and the other AR's I threw together are still perfectly fine:cool:. I figured as long as I torque it to spec it doesn't really matter.

now since you have the gas block in there you probably wouldn't want your skin to go through the holes and touch it, I imagine its pretty close to the handguard I know there is not much room to spare in there

Pretty close... you were absolutely right when you said this MI handguard is skinny, but I like it alot... especially that the mounting hardware screws right into the hanguard itself. The bipod I'm using is a Blackhawk pivoting type... figured it was a step up from a UTG. It ain't no Atlas... but I can spend the $300 buck on ammo instead!

grease on the barrel nut is OK.

Naturally I'm going to tell you that antisieze is better, but I have used moly grease on numerous occasions with no issues.

Wow... so I didn't even give a range update on this guy.... FAIL on Ak's part there!

I'll post my pic again of it's current configuration as it sits today... Not many changes... just a few.DSC_0058.JPG

Changes were made to the handguard... dropped the 15" Midwest Industries SS rail for a 12" SLR Solo Lite rail. Shaves about 3.5 oz and has Mlok features I've been using on my other AR15's. I liked the Midwest... but I'm loving these SLR rails!

Then I went with the Larue SPR mount instead of the Aero light weight mount... I actually bent the Aero mount when I dropped the gun from the back of my truck...don't ask me how.. it just fell the right way right on the mount (I think the Vortex woulda been toast had the mount not taken the brunt of the fall) Aero was fantastic and offered up a replacement right away, and quite honestly the failure didn't deter me from using them again ... I just liked the idea of having a QD mount for the scope.

I've got no photographical evidence of the groups this lady can produce... mainly due to the Odin works barrel... but I'm darn impressed. If I do my part she like 77 grn Sierra's the best at about .5 MOA. But honestly I'm more impressed with being able to shoot roughly 1 moa with cheap ass 55grn PMC ammo... I was shocked! Next time I head to the range, now that weather is better I'll grab a few pics.

The intermediate gas system on this, which I originally thought was a marketing ploy, has run reliably and smoothly since my first range trip. I originally wanted to buy their DMR profile with gas length but it wasn't available at the time so I "settled" for this one. I'm happy I did. My retrospective research has told me that Noveske was the first to use and intermediate gas length (for those that don't know, it's right between a mid and rifle) for reliability reasons. I guess with certain ammo, an 18" barrel with a rifle gas system can sometimes be undergassed, especially if you've got a smaller gas hole. So they came out with this intermediate, which obviously has been copied, to solve the issue. It's been flawless for me.

Other than the above mentioned changes and a nice rattle can job.. this thing is still running on it's original set up, and running strong.

I actually bent the Aero mount when I dropped the gun from the back of my truck...don't ask me how.. it just fell the right way right on the mount (I think the Vortex woulda been toast had the mount not taken the brunt of the fall) Aero was fantastic and offered up a replacement right away, and quite honestly the failure didn't deter me from using them again ... I just liked the idea of having a QD mount for the scope.

this sucks....I love mine but a sinking feeling tells me that if it took a good one it might bend.....that is why I havent went to the SPR mount......

Didnt you have the SPR Mount ?.......I have the extended and it seems better equipped for a hit , I don't think they beefed up the SPR enough to go as extended as it is.

Love the rifle man.....I just got into the 52gr SMK for 100/200Y shooting.....I am in love with them

this sucks....I love mine but a sinking feeling tells me that if it took a good one it might bend.....that is why I havent went to the SPR mount......

Didnt you have the SPR Mount ?.......I have the extended and it seems better equipped for a hit , I don't think they beefed up the SPR enough to go as extended as it is.

Love the rifle man.....I just got into the 52gr SMK for 100/200Y shooting.....I am in love with them

I did have the extended cantilever one yeah... it took a rotational bend... i.e the front mount twisted about 5 degrees off center...and the front of the Vortex was pointing a couple degrees to the left. I noticed when I first got the mount that it's so light you can bend it with your hands... now it did return to it's original shape, but it did bend none the less. I didn't really think much of it, as I'm not a tier one operator with Delta... yet;), and as long as it kept zero (which it did during normal use) I was happy. I don't believe in wonders... and I completely undestand that in order for Aero to produce a 3 oz mount... they either had to use titanium/carbon fiber or shave off material somewhere.

After that drop i completely changed my view on this... what if this was the only rifle I grabbed during some who-knows-what scenario and I gave it a good hurl out the truck? I mean i've got BIUS, but I would've been SOL had this been some real life event.

Let me preface that by saying my truck is a bit lifted, and my drive way is OLD AS HELL... the rocks in the concrete peak through you know... so it fell about 4 1/2 feet right on one of those rocks peaking out... perfect storm.

As I said, Aero makes some good components, and their mounts are some of the lightest on the market. Will i keep buying from them, absolutely. Their customer service alone is worth it, as they took the mount no questions asked.

I do have to say, the Larue... even though about 4oz heavier... DAMN solid with a reputation bar none. Buy once cry once definitely applies

After that drop i completely changed my view on this... what if this was the only rifle I grabbed during some who-knows-what scenario and I gave it a good hurl out the truck? I mean i've got BIUS, but I would've been SOL had this been some real life event.
thanks for going into it for me, its been on my mind......so much so I went ahead and spent more on BUIS than I would have another mount but this gun is in the fight no mater what

Knight's

It's refreshing to see these weapons being set up to handle most anything that can be thrown at you.

I can tell a lot of thought and consideration has went into them.

Fantastic looking weapon AK! I'm on the fence about taking a rattle to my whole gun, still undecided. I'll make up my mind as hunting season draws nearer.

@oli700

How do the offset iron work out in practical use. I've seen them, and I've seen them reviewed... but I haven't heard about first hand experience with them. Is it more intuitive than I'd imagine?

@oli700

How do the offset iron work out in practical use. I've seen them, and I've seen them reviewed... but I haven't heard about first hand experience with them. Is it more intuitive than I'd imagine?
amazingly natural....much more so than I thought they would be
if you get some just make sure to get a set that are inline with the bore.
Some are not and are really iffy

Back