• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Wylde SPR

yeah you need that to go with the rest of the plastic crap you like. Probably warp, don't forget to color fill it with crayons :p

yeah you need that to go with the rest of the plastic crap you like. Probably warp, don't forget to color fill it with crayons :p

A quick attach polymer, crayon filled dust cover is still better than that chode of a muzzle brake you had on yours before;)

Got the package from Aero yesterday.... looks like some quality pieces to me! Since I'm weight obsessed now I was curious what some of these parts came to naked...

DSC_0428.JPG

Pretty darn light my friends... the upper was 6.5oz (not sure what that compares to a normal upper with FA), the scope mount comes in at 3.4 oz. As you can see, I did decide on jumping on the mount, as they do have the package deals going on. This is a 30mm mount and will most likely be wearing that Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP. Found out that Vortex does a mil program so I'm pretty stoked about the rebate (the original price on it was my main decision point). Range time will only tell if the mount holds up, but from my initial impressions this is a very well thought out and built mount.... nice tight tolerances and 3 recoil lugs, and the supplied wrench is a nice touch

Anyways... just for comparison, here's a Primary arms deluxe extended mount....

DSC_0426.JPG

Doing some digging on the interwebs and adding manufactures spec weights of the parts I'll be using... I may be well under my goal weight of between 8 and 9.... with the scope I'm estimating 7lbs 7oz...we'll see if the end result actually hits that number!

right on, step closer

Mine was 7.7lbs with just a reflex sight, ....with the scope and bipod, 8.6.
I don't consider it heavy, the scope actually balanced it out because it felt a front heavy due to the heavish SPR profile barrel and super light ACE Skeleton and a front heavy rifle always feels heavier than it is to me.
Much better now, just slightly front heavy.

Alright... stuff's orderd, to include the scope. If you're mil/LE or retired vet and looking for a scope... Travis Boran (Mil sales associate) at vortex was very helpful and ordering process was easy.

Here's a parts list for those of you that are interested

Upper
AP upper reciever less forward assist
Odin Works 18" stainless barrel
Mid West Industries 15" free float rail
BCM gunfighter mod4 charging handle
Spikes BCG
Strike Ind dust cover

Lower
AP lower
Spikes LPK
Spikes Buffer Assembly w/ H2 buffer
Magpul K2 grip
Magpul Fixed Carbine stock
B.A.D.A.S.S (Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector)

Optics
Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP with their MRAD MOA reticle
AP light weight scope mount

Twist? yeah... naturally... wouldn't want a gun to shoot multiple weights well, that's too many things to ask from one rifle;)

You know, I'm just tryin' to narrow my applications to CQB, MID range, long range, ultra long range and beer opener... anything more than that is just silly!

yeah, silly. sounds like me, couple days ago I was trying to shoot a can like 10 yards and between the tall scope and 100 yard 0 it shoots so low I can see why people use offset sights for way up close even with a 1-?x

On a serious note, I have never heard anyone complain about a 1:8 twist barrel. Most of them shoot factory loads very well, and with the widest margin between bullet weights. But then again, I'm pretty sure that's what 1:8 is intended for.

Since I'm not set up for reloading yet I'll have to make due with factory loads. I've got an array of "top shelf" stuff ranging from some Hornaday 55grn Vmax, 62grn Federal Fusions, 75grn Hornady Superformance to some 77grn Fiocchi and Federal Sierra Matchkings. I wish I could find some 69 grain Black Hills... but no luck so far.

I'm also gonna throw various Nato 55 and 62 green tips through it to see how it groups. OHHHH... totally forgot, I've got some AR500 gongs coming as well, found a source online that didn't rape me on shipping (actually stuffed in a flat rate USPS box) so taking this out to 450 should be fun!

http://shootingtargets7.com/

I know it goes without saying AK, but I'll put it out there for anyone reading along.

Don't send those ss109/xm855 green tips into your steel. They'll dimple the hell out of your plate, even at longer range. Aside from just damage to the steel, the irregular dimples can cause some dangerously unpredictable frag deflection. We magnet check all ammo at the range just to be sure. I've been surprised at the number of projectiles that the magnet picks up that are not labeled/advertised as "steel core". Bimetal projos will eat up steel too...

Info noted, thanks LES. ;)

I just wanted to see how they group, as I have the option to stock up on either right now as .223/5.56 is overflowing everywhere... although they'll be reserved for the carbine.

The majority of my 5.56 inventory is in ss109 green tip.

I shoot a ton of it, just only at paper. The 62 gr works really well in my 1:8 SPR barrel...

Here were all the parts last night.... (not as nice a presentation as LES, but you know.. I try)

DSC_0430.JPG

Abra... Cadabara.... POOOOFF...

DSC_0432.JPG
DSC_0433.JPG
DSC_0431.JPG

Alright... so not quite sub 8lbs like I was "dreaming" about but it's pretty damn close... this is weight with scope no mag. The scope itself is advertised at 18oz.... by scale said 22. So either my scale is off (which is possible) or Vortex has their numbers a bit skewed. No big deal really, it's a freakin' awesome scope, especially for the discount I got it at.

Build went as smooth as any... crazy how easy it is to put an AR together once you've done it a few times. It also helped that I finally invested in the vise clamps for the upper and lower... that made putting the barrel one 100% easier! The fit an finish of the Aero equipment is just outstanding. The lower is so "tight" that it won't drop free Pmags, which I'm sure will change with use. The Lancers have no issues. But I can just tell that the bolt runs a bit tighter in that upper than the PSA in comparison.

Once sighted in, I think this thing will outperform my capabilities in a heartbeat. Looking forward to a range trip soon (may even take a day of leave) I really wanna group this guy with different loads... I've never put together a purpose built precision rifle, so I'm excited to learn. Wish I had some daylight to take pictures, the garage just doesn't do it justice!

I wish my ARs were anywhere near as nice as the ones I have seen in threads like this one (and others).

Awesome job, fellas!!!!!!!!!!!

Back