• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Updated: MRE Meal Review Return of Itsricmo!

You Mad Bro?
Haha no, never!

Here is the pile of goodies!

194ce6fc7c37eacb694ccff912411a43.jpg

So after laying around all day (Baby Doctor Appointment, Chiropractor, Lunch with the wife lol) waiting for my call to work... I finally went to work..

Had a some interesting stuff at work, probably none of you would understand what I am talking about haha but we did have 2 derailments on the main line and 1 wreck in Conway yard (not me personally, thankfully).... after some fun in the sun (-8 weather and 25+ wind) I got around to eating my first taste test.

092a6e2c9bf6a31481d57137c2f0d148.jpg

Stopped at Sheetz to get a coffee, cause what else goes with a good morning cut of Oli's Carrot Poundme Cake, like a cup of terribly brewed bean?

bcdc7de535b528ba0dbadc6fbd070869.jpg

Used that beast of a Kershaw to cut through the milspec hard cover and introduced the cake to oxygen for the first time in God knows how long...

I ate it all before I took another photo.. Sorry guys. But it was surprisingly good. Coffee helped it go down a little more smooth as the absorbent pack leaves little moisture to the cake. More of a sponge consistency than cake, but good nevertheless...

EDIT: forgot to mention.. I would definitely recommend the Carrot Pound Cake. It also has little walnuts in it and low enough calorie it'd make a good snack for camping, hiking or like me, out on the line of road...

Garlic Herb Chicken should happen later this morning... :)

Last edited:
That cake doesn't look half bad and if you were starving it all would be great.

Are you still on the Altoona to Harrisburg run?

Had a some interesting stuff at work, probably none of you would understand what I am talking about haha but we did have 2 derailments on the main line and 1 wreck in Conway yard (not me personally, thankfully)....
damn dude you either think we are stupid or you are special....C: None of the Above

damn dude you either think we are stupid or you are special....C: None of the Above
No sir, all that I shared was stuff you guys would understand because it's in Laymen's Terms haha I left out about 95% of my day because terms, tracks and what not would just be pointless to try and explain and it's unexplainable unless you understand "situation normal" lol

@carbinemike yes, sir! Just left Mechanicsburg this morning for home brother!

Ugh.. I'm not insulting you or belittling you. It'd take 3 pages to probably explain why there were interesting things that rank above derailments

Well, sitting behind the clean up crew for lastnights derailment I popped my Garlic Herb Chicken in the heater...

136d6127ac3fe70d6084deafad8fa828.jpg

First I am quite impressed with the heat output of the heater. I expected a weaker heat that required longer cooking time for a decent heated meal.

Second... don't be stupid. Don't be Rick. Don't clamp the other end completely shut with your desks paper work clamp. The MRE becomes a projectile while your pooping on your 2nd locomotive and scares the puss outta your engineer hahaha #lessonlearned

4465f897994a90f811b39a3cae7657a2.jpg

The Bread Sticks come in the same, fantastic, "Milspec" pouch as every other MRE. Surprise? Again, with the aid of my Kershaw I managed to overcome such fine materials...

6e872ad0bf31b5b0295ba40165763ec4.jpg

Ignoring the name, I was a little surprised when I opened the pouch to find.. you guessed it! Sticks of Bread lol I thought it was going to be similar to the Pound Cake and be one large piece.

The Bread smelt buttery with a hint of garlic so I figured it was going to go well with the chicken afterall...

DING! Chickens done 13 minutes and a potentially hazardous explosion later...

68ce7a02670a38fc1eecf90e98f25f0d.jpg

Now, when opening the chicken, it smells like cat food and looks like a more expensive wet dog food. It didn't maintain its "breast" or "patty" form very well after being opened and became more shredded than anything.

To my surprise yet again, the chicken had a good, well seasoned (if I may) flavor and didn't resemble it's smell in any way. I made small sandwiches with the bread and chicken and it went well together. Bread by itself wasn't bad but definitely not snack worthy.

1 being jail food
10.. home cooked grandma's dinner

I give the Chicken a 5/10
The Bread 5/10

Together probably still just a 6/10 but absolutely something I'd consider adding to my BOB or get home bag.

lol, you can make little explosives with the heater, best method is to fold it over once and stuff it back in the cardboard box that the meal came in . That way it keeps the heater close to the food but lets it vent ......you can pick it up a go too if you have too

one of the mainstay pranks is to stuff a heater in a water bottle that has about a mouthful of water in it and throw them in sleeping crewmate's tent

try it out you'll be impressed if you do it right

Back