• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are the differences among the 500, 590, and 590A1?

The 590 doesn't have the issue with the pinned forends and some of the 500's don't either.....it's somewhat model-to-model on the 500's. If you have a 500 with a pinned forend all you would have to do is order a Mossberg slide action tube assembly to go with the new forend, they can usually be found for around $50. They have 2 different lengths, so you just have to be sure and order the right one for the forend you want to use.

Ok. Is it difficult to switch the tube out? Also, If I were to order the longest of the 2 lengths, would that allow me to use any forend or would I have to stick with the longer forends? Would I have to order a certain length based on the model of sg? I'm thinking longer would still work with the shorter forends but have no idea. Or are forends commonly made in both lengths making that a non issue? I know its a lot of questions. Thanks.

No, switching the tube out isn't a complex project.....you'll basically just be completely breaking the gun down like you would for a thorough cleaning and reassembling it with a new set of action arms going to the bolt. As far as I know forends are usually specific to one tube length or the other......most aftermarket forends use the longer 7 5/8" tube.

Do you have an idea of what kind of forend you are wanting?

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Not by brand yet but I like the look and have heard good things about a railed forend for an AFG and eventually a light mounted.

No problem bringin up an older topic, its here for ya if ya need it! ;)

Tim is right about the process and tube lengths. The longer action tube is most common and most aftermarket forends are made to those specs, very few companies offer a shorter forend. The shorter forend is generally an OFM thing. My recomendation is to purchase the longer action slide tube if you find yourself in that situation, most 500s seem to have pinned forends these days, even some Persuaders.

I can't gaurantee the pinned forends won't be found on 590s, but if it has the ribbed forend, its far less likely and that logic may apply to 500 Persuaders too. I'd ask OFM but I'm not sure their CS knows thee difference.

I have figured out the difference between the big debate! The 500 & 590 both have the same size trigger housing but the 590A1 trigger housing is more beefer. After I had bought a Mesa tactical adapter, I attempted to install it on my 590A1 and realized that there was more material around the trigger area than on my 500 (which fit the 500 perfectly!) So I had to remove excess material around the trigger area to make it fit. Hopefully someone can chime in and confirm as this was based off of my two mossy's.

The 590A1 trigger group is metal.

In the 500 and 590 they are plastic. Dimensions may differ slightly due to the difference in material...

Slightly??? Man how about tremendously!!! It took me forever to get that trigger housing to match the 500 housing. Now just need someone to refinish it for me. But I got it to fit finally. L.E.S. please confirm this.

All I know is that regardless of the difference in material, trigger groups on 500, 590, and 590a1 models are interchangeable. All that says is that from the receiver up all dimensions are identical. The outer dimensions may be different, but looking at a belly up view of my 590 and 590a1 side-by-side I can't see and discernible difference. Was it the base or the trigger guard that's giving you problems?

The area I'm referring to is right where your finger pulls the trigger (the actual part that guards the trigger and underneath the button to actuate the forend). The housing is thicker there than on my 500 which was noticeably more thinner. BUT....I am also comparing two different decade shotguns (500A which is 23+ years old and the 590A1 which is only a few years old.) That could also explain the difference in thickness in that area, but I'm still unsure so I'll leave it to you all experts. This was just my two cents that sometimes ain't worth a damn!!!

With Mossberg, nothing would surprise me.

I was also comparing a 590 with a 590a1, so the two may be more similar than either to a 500. Either way, glad you got it fitted...

Hey LES,
Figured out what was so dramatically different on mine versus my other mossy's...mine is a LPA trigger housing. After more research and speaking with a few ppl, that was the only conclusion as well as comparing mine to other ones. Don't know why the huge difference other than maybe because of the adjustable trigger, but that was all I could dig up!

Hello,
Does anyone know the weight difference between the 590 and 590a1 Barrels, say a 20" barrel? I'm thinking that is where 90% of the weight difference would come from.

the weight difference between the 590 and 590a1 Barrels? I'm thinking that is where 90% of the weight difference

That is the only weight difference. The aptly named Heavy Barrel is somewhere around 10 ounces more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the heavy barrels only add weight right where you don't want it. And they make clamp-on parts, such as flashlight mounts and heatshields, a real pain to install. Even the 18.5 Heavy Barrel is a pig.

Ironically the regular 590 setup weighs the same as a 500 Persuader, even with the bayonet lug.

With shotguns the weight is not about how much it is, but where it is. Long barrels and long magazine tubes really hurt. If you really want a swing-able gun, get a 18.5 500 with the - dare I say - pinned polymer forend.

Can anyone helpy me identifying this Mossberg. I guess it is a 590 mariner but I am not shure. Thx!
5225608_5482f61118d7f.jpg

5225608_3_5482f6111dbaf.jpg

5225608_4_5482f6111eb5c.jpg

Thank you for your help! This was what I guess but I was not shure because of the butt plate. Are they interchangeable?

Can't see the butt plate in the pic.

There are different recoil pads depending on the stock.

Last edited:
Back