• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What laser are you using?

I am new here but was just playing with the CMR-206 today. I could see it on the side of my shed about 50 feet away and even pointed at a big oak tree about 70 ft out but it was hard to see. That is daytime with sun and snow on the ground.

We all know that the green lasers are brighter than the red lasers but what about the blue lasers? Does anyone know how good the blue gun lasers are?

Edit: Forget the blue laser. After reading up on them, They are not as usable as the green laser.

Last edited:
Red and blue are at opposite ends of the color spectrum, as far as what our eyes perceive. For human color vision, green (actually a yellow-green) is king.

669px-Eyesensitivity.svg.png

Last edited:
What about target ID? I might have missed that being addressed in an earlier post though.

Thanks pawpaw that is a great chart.
Among the careers Ive had I dabbled in painting for awhile. The way objects react to certain wavelengths of light can change their colors drastically (metamerism). Wondering how this would play with green lasers and red lasers and if there is an ideal type of mounted light that would allow for ideal target identification and the minimum obscurity of either color laser.

An uneducated guess would be that warmer light source would be better for red (and blue although mark said blue wasn't ideal) and a cooler light source might be best for green. Basing this on a color spectrum chart I found.

Attachments

• colorspectrum-1000bulbs.png
    colorspectrum-1000bulbs.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 7
I took mine outside on a sunny day a month or so ago and it was easily visible on my neighbors shed ........at easily 75 yds away.

WOW. Just Wow. I had no idea. Thank You. I'm going to draw up a purchase order. And explain to the instructor community that we missed this one big time.

I have been looking at 100mW and 200mW laser sights. I can't afford one right now so I'm just looking. But, I just had a thought. Almost all of the green laser sights are at 5mW or less for their class 3R (1mW to 5mW). Class 3B (5mW to 500mW) lasers are more dangerous and can cause eye damage if exposed.

Here's the thought - is there the possibility of legal problems if I use a 200mW laser sight and damage the eyes of the Bad Guy? The laser itself becomes a weapon.

arrow---eye-injury-hazard-878w.png

...is there the possibility of legal problems if I use a 200mW laser sight and damage the eyes of the Bad Guy?
Of greater importance is the possibility of damaging your eyes. Lasers can be dangerous, and I'm betting your house has several reflective surfaces that will bounce that beam right back at you.

These are short barreled guns shooting shotgun shells; how much range do you need? There's a point of diminishing returns where your laser is going to reach out much farther than the effectiveness of the shell you're shooting.

Another consideration; the farther the laser is from the bore axis of the gun, the more 'spread' there will be between the POI and the POA. If I adjust the laser dot to be at POI for a target at 10 yards, that dot will be several inches off on a target at 20 yards. So now you have a laser that can put its dot on a target way out at 100 yards- with a slug it'll be a clean miss. If you adjust the laser POI to 100 yards, you'll miss your close-in targets. All of the available mounts for lasers are significantly offset from the bore axis of the gun.

I was thinking about daytime visibility out to 40 yards or so. I did recognize that there is a reflection potential. The CMR-206 is worth looking at based on the reports here. As I had mentioned in an earlier post, if the laser is 2" above the bore then if I sight in at 20 yards then the poi will be about 2" low at 40 yards. This is well within error if the shot has a 6" pattern at 20 yards and a larger pattern at 40 yards. It's also a good "battle sight" for slugs. A 2' error will make no difference for either the shot or slugs. That is probably better than I can shoot when in stress.

I was thinking about daytime visibility out to 40 yards or so. I did recognize that there is a reflection potential. The CMR-206 is worth looking at based on the reports here. As I had mentioned in an earlier post, if the laser is 2" above the bore then if I sight in at 20 yards then the poi will be about 2" low at 40 yards. This is well within error if the shot has a 6" pattern at 20 yards and a larger pattern at 40 yards. It's also a good "battle sight" for slugs. A 2' error will make no difference for either the shot or slugs. That is probably better than I can shoot when in stress.

I tried again and could see the laser out about 100ft out on an old oak tree, but it gets a little tough trying to see it. But for my purposes, 7 yards inside my house is the maximum I need.

Back