• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modern Musket~~never DONE~~

@oli700 I checked my pistol last night. I'm not seeing anything like the wear you are seeing. Even on my carbine which is running an older nickle boron coated DPMS bolt I'm not seeing that kind of wear (the carbine has a lot more rounds though it than my pistol).

200 rounds on the AR Stoner Bolt.....and it has the sacred MPI stamp on it that everyone says "if it has that it has to be good"

what a giant piece of shit, the description said all the right things and it came from Midway....wouldn't have thought it would be done this soon carrier and all.

Cant find what the Seekins is made out of but it has a life time warranty that goes with the BCG no matter how many owners posses it so that's cool not sure what it takes to claim "far exceed Mil Spec" but I will run the living crap out of it.
I got enough components for 3000+ rounds to shoot this fall

Your bolt needs to last more than 3k rounds... period. I have never seen this type of metal degradation on a Bolt or BC, and I have seen AR's with more rounds through it than yours. It's crazy to think that this was your primary go-to in an emergency. There's good value... and than there's just plain crap!

it never did miss a beat and was deadly accurate. I would have loved to see how long it would go before it failed, without inspecting you would never know it had a problem. Coming from a partial machining background I always am looking for signs .....friends hate me sometimes cause I am always finding stuff wrong with their crap....I could find something wrong with anything lol

MPI is nothing more than a test to make sure there are no stress cracks, or voids in the metal under the surface.

It does nothing to check RC hardness.

With that said, MPI testing is a (just ONE) requirement of a bolt deemed suitable for US Military use by various contracts.

I worked 20 years at a bearing company. One of my jobs was analyzing failures for customers. It looks like they completely blew the heat treat (process to increase either the surface hardness or hardness throughout) on the part with the wear it had from 200 rounds. In fact it looks like it might not have received any heat treating at all.

MPI is nothing more than a test to make sure there are no stress cracks, or voids in the metal under the surface.

It does nothing to check RC hardness.

With that said, MPI testing is a (just ONE) requirement of a bolt deemed suitable for US Military use by various contracts.
Yeah, my point was there is a lot more to it than most people think. MPI is not as high on my list as a couple other things....

I'd give midwayusa a call and see if they'd replace it, or issue a refund. It's clearly not a lot of things.

Just my humble opinion.

The AR Stoner brand, especially their bolts got a really bad rep a couple years ago after Sandy Hook when all the AR parts were extremely hard to find. I remember seeing numerous posts from people with similar problems and also cracked/broken bolts. Definitely a problem with their heat treating. I ran an AR Stoner BCG for about 250 rounds and although it didnt break on me, the lugs were rounded off and looked similar to my other bolt which had close to 1000 rounds through it. Contact Midway about it and don't request a replacement, request your money back and get a different brand.

I'd give midwayusa a call and see if they'd replace it, or issue a refund. It's clearly not a lot of things.

Just my humble opinion.
you think they will give me the time of day after all this time ?

The AR Stoner brand, especially their bolts got a really bad rep a couple years ago after Sandy Hook when all the AR parts were extremely hard to find. I remember seeing numerous posts from people with similar problems and also cracked/broken bolts. Definitely a problem with their heat treating.

yeah, I was one of those scrambling suckers that panic clicked

yeah, I was one of those scrambling suckers that panic clicked

It's worth a shot. It was a known issue to them so they might help you out. If not, just dump that one and pick up a new bolt. They're cheap and available everywhere now. The carrier should last a while longer but I would still look to replace it at some point.

"Returns greater than 365 days from date of purchase will not be accepted by MidwayUSA and should be returned to
the manufacturer"

It's worth a shot. It was a known issue to them so they might help you out. If not, just dump that one and pick up a new bolt. They're cheap and available everywhere now. The carrier should last a while longer but I would still look to replace it at some point.
I already replaced the bolt a while ago, the issue now is the carrier, a few posts back. I already have another BCG inbound

Don't give up that easily. You need to write or call them back and tell them you're willing to return it to the actual manufacturer, but you need to know who manufacturers the AR Stoner brand parts that they sell, and since they are midways house brand, they would need to let you know to whom to address your concerns.

And if that doesn't work, escalate it to a supervisor and if that doesn't work, demand to speak to Larry Potterfield himself.

Don't act like you're afraid of them. I know you better than that.

While I am thinking of it, I think some negative reviews of AR stoner parts are in order.

Well that didn't work, took it up the chain and they said sorry no one to send it to and we wont take it back, said they haven't heard of a problem with it......

That sucks. I liked shopping midway. Guess its Brownells from here on. They generally have more of what I want anyway.

yeah I wrote them a nastygram telling them all about how they misrepresented to part then lied about not hearing about a problem and if they are AR Stoner and I am supposed to send it back to the manufacturer yet they wont take it back......on and on. I hit the send button and it went to a screen that said, "try your search again".....pisses me off I have spent a bunch of money there, I have a package in he mail from them right now.....a range finder, some bullets for reloading, a few other things

Review the products. Be honest but not hateful. Hopefully other people get the heads up from reading them. I for one will avoid all Stoner parts

Back