• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

The Blackhawk SpecOps Gen 1 tames my 835, I imagine it would reduce a 20G to a whimper.

So the consensus seems to be that they all help, and choice of ammo helps again.

I'll post up the project when it happens...THANKS!

I received and installed the Phoenix Kicklite stock on my M-500. Put 45 rounds of low recoil 00 buck and slug along with some #8 target loads and it performed great. Feeling no soreness what so ever. I also tried 5 rounds of heavier 00 buck with more kick to it and it really did not bother me. I also like the ability to adjust the stock because the solid OEM stock was a bit too long for my reach to the trigger.

A stock with the "AR" design, pistol grip and all, will generally help with recoil for some. It helps manage and redirect the recoil through your body. Adding a good butt pad, something like the Scorpion from ATI, would only further help you out.

Phoenix Tech and Blackhawk are also two good companies, Blackhawk has a little more merit just because more members here use it and we have real hands on experience. Note that they say "GEN 1" because there has been problems with "GEN 2"... may have been fixed by now but I can't say for sure.

At the same time you can reduce recoil well with the stock that is already on your shotgun. Go to walmart and pick up a nice Limbsaver for $12 (my local price)! Will probably work just as well, costs less then all the above options and you don't have to swap things out. THAT is if you aren't set on the AR style stock with a pistol grip, or would prefer to keep the OEM Stock on the shotgun.

Choice of ammunition has also mentioned. Can't say much more to that.

I was looking to get an ATI stock, but I can't find anyone that sells just the pistol grip/adjustable stock by itself. Everyone tries to bundle it with a foregrip and I would rather save my money and buy the stock itself.

I really like the ATI Akita adjustable stock. If you want an adjustable (standard) stock - without a pistol grip I highly recommend it as the safety on a 500 it more readilly accessible. The recoil pad is first rate. They also have great customer service. A few months ago I received a new stock directly from ATI. There was a problem with the recoil pad I called and spoke to ATI. The lady said that she would send out a recoil pad immediately. Well about a week later it came in the mail (today). It installed properly and no further problems. Absolutely great customer service. No arguments just helpful and professional. Thank you ATI.

I added the Blackhawk recoil reducing adjustable stock with add-on shell side saddle and really like it. Here's a couple pics of mine
IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1815_zpse6ae45d0.jpg

IMAG1814_zps82687f84.jpg

How do you like the cheek riser?
I have heard ups and downs about it but I believe you have to have it on to use the saddle.

it isn't a "tactical stock" but replacing my 500 persuader's polymer stock with a wood stock really helped to cut the recoil (the heat-shield i added didn't hurt either). Yes... the heavier the shotgun means less felt recoil.
:evil:

The recoil pad is also better on the wooden buttstock than the one that came with the OEM plastic stock. The plastic stock just came with a really hard solid piece of rubber which made the length of pull about a half inch too long. I am convinced that that hard rubber recoil pad was no better at reducing recoil than a regular would, because that rubber didn't flex at all.

4hPhKHD.jpg

i think there are only three options for recoil reducing stocks which have a spring system, mesa tactical, blackhawk and kicklite.

clarke187 said:
it isn't a "tactical stock" but replacing my 500 persuader's polymer stock with a wood stock really helped to cut the recoil (the heat-shield i added didn't hurt either). Yes... the heavier the shotgun means less felt recoil.
:evil:

The recoil pad is also better on the wooden buttstock than the one that came with the OEM plastic stock. The plastic stock just came with a really hard solid piece of rubber which made the length of pull about a half inch too long. I am convinced that that hard rubber recoil pad was no better at reducing recoil than a regular would, because that rubber didn't flex at all.

4hPhKHD.jpg

you really want to feel a difference,try a limbsaver on the wood stock. :D

97BlackAckCL said:
I added the Blackhawk recoil reducing adjustable stock with add-on shell side saddle and really like it. Here's a couple pics of mine
IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1815_zpse6ae45d0.jpg

IMAG1814_zps82687f84.jpg

What material is used in the stock. Im looking for one for my ladies, And am thying to find a strong telescoping stock so shes not forced to lean back when firing.

Here's an excerpt from the SpecOps Gen II description on Midway USA...

The SpecOps Stock is constructed of lightweight and durable polymer, and comes equipped with an integral pistol grip featuring tactile rubber grip inserts for added purchase.

Im pretty much sold on the black hawk. seems strong and good price. I would rather Get quality over plastic and a shell holder.

adamsredlines said:
Reviving an older thread, I finally got my 590...and have a quick question. Anybody know who makes the 6-position stock that Mossberg uses on some of their shotguns?
I'm still heavily considering the ATI, but figured I'd ask.

Adam
Just a bit more info on the 6 position stock.
My flex 590 came with a UTG PRO 6 position stock not an ATI.
Hope this helps you out too.

That FLEX 6 position kind of resembles the MESA Leo adapter in a way. Does the pistol grip come off by chance? Looks like a hogue overmolded to me

Itsricmo said:
That FLEX 6 position kind of resembles the MESA Leo adapter in a way. Does the pistol grip come off by chance? Looks like a hogue overmolded to me

Oops..... My bad. Forgot to mention that I did change out the original grip for the Hogue grip, which is just a better grip all around, I don't really care for the stock one what so ever.

Here is the original grip on the 590...

Does anybody here have any experience with the Choate top folder?

jlVohAZ.jpg

I've been lusting after one to put on my 500 for quite awhile.

Back