• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

There's two things I don't like about the over the top stocks-

1: you better fit it before you buy it cause you're stuck with one length. I haven't seen any adjustable ones yet, so make sure it fits comfortably.

2: they don't seem to help much with recoil so go out and shoot a few boxes. Then let us know how your shoulder is doing. :D Don't get me wrong-one of my favorite things about the shotgun is its nice boom followed by the punch it gives-but there's still too much punch.

I'll admit my reasons for wanting one are slightly more cosmetic than practical, lol.

I've loved the SPAS-12 and it's factory top folder since I saw it in Jurassic Park, and I played an old multiplayer PC game non-stop for several years that featured a 500 with the same stock.

ijqYAcw.jpg

Nostalgia factor aside, it should at least be an improvement over running my 500 with no stock at all, right?

2v0BTmY.jpg

Itsricmo said:
So the FLEX adapter is essentially the LEO Adapter but made by Mossberg??
Very interesting!

I haven't ever seen the LEO adapter before so I can't say for sure if its similar or not. I only have expierence with the flex adaptor..... So far...

stigmata said:
Itsricmo said:
So the FLEX adapter is essentially the LEO Adapter but made by Mossberg??
Very interesting!

I haven't ever seen the LEO adapter before so I can't say for sure if its similar or not. I only have expierence with the flex adaptor..... So far...

Take my word for it ;) :lol:

I should specify though, the FLEX Adapter AR Style Stock is like the LEO Adapter. The FLEX Adapter itself isn't lol...

TheJackal said:
Does anybody here have any experience with the Choate top folder?

jlVohAZ.jpg

I've been lusting after one to put on my 500 for quite awhile.

Welp, I got very lucky and was able to pick one up for $42 shipped on Ebay.

The grip has been painted orange as it was on a Less-lethal gun, and it's missing the bolt hardware to attach to the receiver, but both can be easily remedied.

For what I payed, I'm ecstatic, and I can't wait for it to get here.

Guess what showed up! Right on schedule, too!

Let's get this box open, with some help from my trusty (and sharp as hell) M7 bayonet, on loan from my 590

GJZwM5M.jpg

U6c40on.jpg

First impression was that the "Less Lethal" orange really needs to go, and that I needed a bolt and some lock washers (which I happened to have picked up earlier today :mrgreen: )

In about an hours time, I had a finished, 'Good as new' product.

It's amazing what the proper tools, solvents, and a dash of patience can do for you.

z6VOsu4.jpg

First impressions with it on the gun are very encouraging.

It's a little tedious to install on the gun, as you don't have much room to finagle the bolt through the hole in the stock and into the receiver, but it's do-able.

The lockup of the folder is SUPERB, steel-to-steel lockup, no wiggle room whether it's folded or unfolded.

It gives a very low cheek weld (and a good cheek weld at that), which puts my eye in the perfect spot for proper sight picture with the bead.

I was afraid the Length of Pull would be too short for me, but it feels identical to the Mossy factory stock, or 'just right'.

The only thing that has me wondering is the buttpad, it's basically a steel plate with a rubber coating, and I'm willing to bet it'll be giving my shoulder some punishment with heavier loads.

At $42 for the stock, $1.50 in hardware, and maybe 25 cents worth of solvent for something that retails for $100-120 before shipping, I can't describe how happy I am.

Looking forward to taking it out to the range!

Hi All,

I thought I'd give an updated critique of the Knoxx Gen II Recoil Reducing Stock. In a former post (somewhere) I had indicated that I was disappointed in the Gen II recoil reduction. What I hadn't realized at the time was that I was holding my 12 gauge in a way that prevented the stock from working properly.

After my Mossberg 930 experience (ferocious recoil! :shock: ) I asked one of the old timers to give me some 12 gauge tips. He offered two responses:
1. Hold the butt of the stock against the muscle group inboard of my shoulder, not on my shoulder.
2. With my forend hand, keep outward pressure against the recoil.

Well, those tips worked for the 930, and Tip #1 (obviously) works for all shotguns.
However, by applying Tip #2 with the Knoxx stock, I was keeping it from working properly! :oops:

I went back to the range and tried using my forend hand to pull the shotgun back, against my muscle group.
And... THE RECOIL REDUCING STOCK WORKED GREAT! :D

So, for those of you considering the Knoxx Gen II Recoil Reducing Stock, I'd say (when used properly) it cuts the recoil experience by 30-40%.

I purchased mine from Amazon for $88.00 which I think is a hell of bargain. They don't always have them in stock so, if you want one, just keep checking back. (Oh, and they also offer a Gen II Stock without recoil reduction... I don't see any value in that.)

Does anyone know if there are any after market pistol grip stocks made for the Mossberg 500 that does not require removal to clean/maintain the shotgun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rogerb1583 said:
Does anyone know if there are any after market pistol grip stocks made for the Mossberg 500 that does not require removal to clean/maintain the shotgun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Why does one need to remove the pistol grip to clean/maintain the gun?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a troll. I have a 835 with a PG stock and have never removed it. Admittedly I lube my guns but will rarely break them down and meticulously scrub them after the initial cleaning.

On my 500, and other mossbergs I've seen, the front finger area on the pistolgrip is blocking you from being able to drop your trigger assembly. It makes for a comfortable grip, but is a pain when cleaning time comes. That's the only thing I get tired of. I understand why its that way...but it suuuuucks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382550570703.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382550570703.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 526
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382550622800.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382550622800.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 526
Interesting, outside of initial cleaning when they were new and stripping my 835 when I CereKoted it, I've never taken the assemblies out of my any of mine.

The stock pistol grip is also one screw that, in my opinion, is easier to take in and out.

Don't get me wrong-I love ATI products and my ATI stock....but that pistol grip just seems to be an issue there's no way around.

MikeD said:
Interesting, outside of initial cleaning when they were new and stripping my 835 when I CereKoted it, I've never taken the assemblies out of my any of mine.

I have always taken my trigger assemblies out and everything else for that matter.. maybe I am doing it wrong haha

Itsricmo said:
MikeD said:

I have always taken my trigger assemblies out and everything else for that matter.. maybe I am doing it wrong haha

I'm probably the exception. I am very utilitarian when it comes to guns. I have no safe queens and a gun that will not run reliably with a little dirt in it is not a welcome guest in my collection. (With a few exceptions for family heirlooms of course. :D ).

I am a little ashamed to say but recently my 500 has been rather abused.. I have cleaned her in months and she has a little surface rust on the barrel and mag tube. That is from leaving it in my blazer for a few nights :( But she functions flawlessly none the less! lol

Itsricmo said:
I am a little ashamed to say but recently my 500 has been rather abused.. I have cleaned her in months and she has a little surface rust on the barrel and mag tube. That is from leaving it in my blazer for a few nights :( But she functions flawlessly none the less! lol
Don't be ashamed man, that's what they are known for! Takes an a$$ kicking and asks for more. That's what Mossberg is known for! Lol

Back