• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: After market mods for HD 410?

That's kinda what I figured.... Again, this was primarily for my wife to learn some about shotgunning with and for barricade situations in the home. She's stated a preference for her Xdm for maneuvering to the nursery with (which is why I got her a light and laser from crimson trace) but it would have been nice all the same to have more flexibility in tweaking the weapon. I'm assuming that a 500e is a 500e and that we could get a pistol grip though, or is the cruiser's receiver different than even the hs410? And no, not scared off at the thought of drilling where necessary to set a rail up. Thanks guys! Always good to have a place to share your vested interests/obsessive tendencies with others

No matter the stock/grip configuration, all 500E receivers will all be the same.

Just as LES said, the receivers are all the same...

If you wanna try it out and check the fit, I have a pistol grip here somewhere I can send you? I dont advocate pistol grip only, but like anything else, practice = proficiency. My preference, I'd rather tuck the stock under my arm.

Youre call, if you want it, I'll send it... as soon as I can find it...

40Cal_FireGuy said:
Again, not interested in finding out who thinks what of .410s as HD weapons as I'm familiar with the element of machismo that comes with 12g (myself, a fan... my wife, not so much). I could use some knowledgable feed back about whether or not this weapon is destined to serve its purpose in our home as an introductory tool or if there's room to grow if K. wishes to.

The .410 is a great starter or first shotgun. The .410 is easy to learn shooting fundamentals with since it lacks recoil. It is also a great shotgun for expert shotgunners who have mastered the 12 ga. and are looking for a challenge.

I really like the .410E mine is used expressly for light upland game getter such as forest grouse and quail. Though in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to load it up with buckshot and use it for HD.

Unfortunately there is just not much in the way of aftermarked goodies for the Mossberg .410E.

My daughter uses hers for upland game too! Got her first quail with it this season!

I have all kinds of video of that .410 in action, if you wanna see it, just click the "RossignolST" in my sig!

Rossignol,

Thats awsome!

My youngest daughter recently got her first shotgun, a Mossberg 500C. I suggested she look at getting a .410, but after looking at all the options she decided she wanted a 20 ga.

Rossignol said:
I dont advocate pistol grip only
Most professional HD instructors feel the same way.

Rossignol said:
My preference, I'd rather tuck the stock under my arm
Absolutely the BEST way to use a shotgun in an HD situation.

The .410 is plenty of gun to protect your home and loved ones with, and it makes Skeet a hell of a lot more challenging.
Especially to folks that normally shoot a 500 12ga, LOW GUN and crush them :x

Thanks Gunner!!!

LTB, its such a fun gun to shoot and plenty of it isnt it?!!! :D

Rossignol,
You're Welcome!

40 cal.
I agree it is a good investment.
I'm on the fence about modifications to HD guns.
On one hand there are some minor things one might do to make the shotgun more HD friendly.

Yet on the other hand, I remember a crusty old tactics instructor lecturing at length the virtes of skill and ability over (as he put it) doodads.

Gunner, I agree in that gadgetry doesnt equal proficiency nor is it a surogate for practice.

However, I feel that as the shooter grows and learns the gun, there are things that can make the firearm more personally equiped to suit its user. There are those things that are like the Air Jordans of accessories and are "must haves" that really arent must haves at all.

So its a line, based on what makes sense to you or me or anyone else. I'm no purist with regard to upgrading or modding a firearm. I love making things personal and nothing is left as box stock.

You have probably seen my 590A1 at least along the way, maybe even my daughters .410. Neither are completely factory. Mine rests within arms reach at home, and is on my side when I hunt. We target shoot alot too, and I'd say the biggest factor in adding parts for me; "Do I have to relearn my gun?" "Will this change the mechanics?"

There are a couple things that have. Like my red dot. I like it, but it messes up my cheek weld and I can hit a 50 yard target without it. So it doesnt get used much at all.

Tactics. Practice. They go together. But mostly you have to be able to shoot proficiently and consistently. Havings plans labed "A" through "Z" cant hurt either! :D

40 cal,

A folding stock set up is easy to come by. The issue with folders is that, most folders fold to the right which can interfere with the ejection port. I like the Tromix and Ace skeleton style folders with a reversable folding mechanism. The reversable allows stock to fold the left, which leaves the ejection port clear but precludes the use of a receiver mount shell carrier. Which nobody makes for the .410 so no harm there.

The real issue is coming up with a mounting plate for the smaller .410E receiver which is necessary to hang the pistol grip from and attach the folding mechanism to. Thats what I believe to be the real sticking point when it comes on putting a folder on a .410. Since it would have to be fabricated from scratch. There are people who can do it. Yet when all was said and done you'd probably have more into the folder than the cost of the shotgun.

Rossignol,
I like the red dot sight too. I think modding a shotgun with aftermarket products, stocks,sights and such is perfectly fine. I just don't do a lot along those lines. Though agree there is some really good aftermarket stuff available.

500A 18.5" Build for HD

Hi all,

Thanks to the incredible amount of info on this forum I have been able to assemble a functional HD shotgun without too much hassle. Here is the list:

Shotgun: 500A 18.5" 7 shot
Stock: Limbsaver Recoil Pad
Follower: Aimpro Hi-Viz
Light Mount: CDM MOD-C w/swivel kit
Light: Streamlight Polytac
Safety: ETA
Side Saddle: 3GunGear 6-Shot
Sling: Gear Sector GS-2P w/buttstock adapter

So far, I have only installed the light and light mount. Safety comes Wednesday, and still waiting on the other parts. Will post pics once assembled.

Re: 500A 18.5" Build for HD

Sounds like an awesome build. Whats it's main purpose going to be? We would love to see what it looks like when your through:)

Sounds like a good solid build. Post up some pics when you get it completed.

Duh, my 500A is a 20" barrel :oops:

Side saddle and recoil pad installed. Safety comes Friday, and strap this weekend hopefully.

Pics forthcoming.

Oh... that changes everything...a 20" is totally unacceptable for HD. You better reconsider......

Just kidding :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

My HD shotgun currently has a turkey barrel installed. I can't remember the length, I think it's 21" or 23" (It's an older Rem 870). I had intended to cut down the 26" barrel I have for it but the turkey barrel seems to work quite nicely and allows me to change chokes easily.

I've got an 18.5 on my 930 but still need to pick up a rear sight for use with the raised front sight of the SPX barrel.

Build is complete except for the follower which will arrive Saturday. Here are a couple of quick phone camera pics and some initial observations of the mods themselves:

Stock: Limbsaver Recoil Pad

I love it so far. Very comfortable, though it does make the stock longer than original which could be a problem for shorter people (I'm 6' 4"). Got to shoot it before I render judgement.

Light Mount: CDM MOD-C w/swivel kit

Such a simple item, but it works extremely well. Made of high quality materials that seem to be shock proof. Again, final judgement after some trigger time.

Light: Streamlight Polytac

Does everything I need. I know it doesn't have a strobe, but I don't make a habit of clearing houses or serving warrants. In a pinch, I will push the button and it will turn on; that is enough.

Safety: ETA

Easily the best visceral improvement. The plastic safety on the stock again stinks, and the ETA is a vast upgrade. I love that you can flip it for a better feel based on your preference.

Side Saddle: 3GunGear 6-Shot

A simple, cheap solution, but it seems to work well so far. 3GG cuts the backing to match the receiver so the screws are not obstructed. Quality of the loops is very high; those shells are going nowhere.

Sling: Gear Sector GS-2P w/buttstock adapter

First off, Jason at Gear Sector is the man. His customer service was some of the best I have received no matter the item or cost involved. That said, the product itself is great. Reasonably priced for the quality. I was thinking of adding a stock swivel adapter, but the buttstock adapter is an elegant solution for this gun, and I think I will stick with it.

Attachments

• 2012-05-24 18 41 30 (2).jpg
    2012-05-24 18 41 30 (2).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 466
  • 2012-05-24 18 43 18 (2).jpg
    2012-05-24 18 43 18 (2).jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 464

thsmiley_two_thumbs_up.gif

Back