• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Pump Action Forends

Re: 500 Foregrip Question

i would check your Length of Pull (LOP) first. a shorter LOP will bring it closer to you.

Attachments

• lengthofpull.gif
    lengthofpull.gif
    38.7 KB · Views: 272

Old Mossy is correct. The shorted LOP on your stock wil allow you square up on your shotgun and allow you to properly grip you weapon. The slide action length is reference doesn't allow the front grip to be closer. It is the measurement of how long the forearm is. Both sizes are exactly the same distance from the front if the receiver.

Thanks guys for the quick answers...I've thought about the (LOP) but my trigger hand feels just right. Don't know what the answer to this problem might be.

Buying the 6 3/4 mag tube won't bring the forened closer, the action bars that are connected to the tube are the same length regardless of how long the tube is. But you can buy one of the wooden "hunters" style forends that gives you about 1" to 2" inches of extra real estate up front... and yes they do slide over the receiver a bit when you're cycling the action. Hope you find a good combination to make the 500 more comfortable for you!

,,,,with the shotgun mounted,have someone measure the distance between your nose and your thumb. it should be between 1 and 1 1/2". this is another way to measure your LOP.
keep us posted.

Did the measuring thing old mossy, it came out right at 1 1/2".......I knew the trigger arm was not a problem, it feels good. I just need to get the foregrip back toward the receiver more. Was hoping it would be some bolt on easy thing swap with some other mossberg, but looks like it might take some custom mods to bring it back.

tasinga said:
Did the measuring thing old mossy, it came out right at 1 1/2".......I knew the trigger arm was not a problem, it feels good. I just need to get the foregrip back toward the receiver more. Was hoping it would be some bolt on easy thing swap with some other mossberg, but looks like it might take some custom mods to bring it back.
if need be you can get it closer.

what is the LOP on the gun? (butt plate to trigger)

tasinga said:

If you're up for it... take a picture of you and the gun shouldered so we can see where you're pump arm is resting... might get a more complete picture of your problem, because usually LOP adjustment is really all that's needed for shorter framed shooters ( or folks with short arms like me :D )

mossberg 500 forend concerns

Hi All,

Before I begin, please excuse me if this question has been asked before. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything on this subject.

I've owned my Mossberg since the Fall of 2009. Ever since I've had it, the forend seems really to be loose round the magazine tube. I thought (wrong) when I replaced the forend it may improve it and stop the dang rattling.

It hasn't :(

Is this normal?

If not, how do I fix this, as it's bugging me.

Thanks for help in advance.

N.B I've never owned another Mossberg, and all my shooting buddies have Winchesters.... so can't compare!

Re: mossberg 500 forend concerns

Part of the 500's reliability stems from some of the loose tolarances in the action. It's perfectly normal that your forend wobbles a little bit... and when you install aftermarket forends this is usually exasperated. Unless you're getting like 90° of movement out of it, I wouldn't worry at all!

Yep, normal. Tightening it would cause potential binding and failure. Mine doesn't rattle unless I shake it and I can't hear it rattle when I discharge it. Since I grip the forend while shooting, I only hear it pulling it out of the bag.

Jeff

Yep, completely normal.

Think of it kind of like a free floated design. It slides on the magazine tube pushing the 2 action slide bars. This loose fitting is in my opinion the reason the 500 has such high reliability. :)

Also, Welcome to MO

Shorter forend compatible with light?

Though I scraped off a big piece of skin and scraped away some of the action nut's finish (I think that some of the action nut itself was removed as well), I've swapped my stock forend for a Hogue. I also replaced my 20" barrel and extended mag tube with an 18.5".

The problem is that the forend goes to far forward for the CDM mounted Streamlight I was using. Can I safely dremel away some of the Hogue forend?

Are there any shorter forends that don't go as far forward?

Re: Shorter forend compatible with light?

I'm aware that inside of the forend grip itself, some Mossbergs have shorter action tubes. But it's my understanding that the external dimensions of the grip itself are the same. My question is about forend grips that do not extend to the end of the tube.

Re: Shorter forend compatible with light?

As far as I know John, all the commercial forends are made to the same specs. Even the short action tubes use an adapter nut that extends to the length of the forend. I suppose that a standard forend could be modified/shortened to fit the shorter action tubes and use a standard nut if one were so inclined to give it a try...

Which slide tube for numrich corncob forend?

Hi!
Just got my first mossberg, psyched! Got my wood kit from numrich today too.
But just a little bummed my awesome new "big 5 combo" has one big caveat - one of those maverick 88 grips. So now i need to buy a whole slide to mount it.

Which slide do i need to mount this, the 7-5/8ths?
Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 215
Re: Which slide tube for numrich corncob forend?

welcome from NY and congrats on your new mossy.

looking at your pic of the corn cob forend, i would say you need the longer action tube.

don't for get the pics. :)

Attachments

• 05001L_05[1].jpg
    05001L_05[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 177
Re: Which slide tube for numrich corncob forend?

It does look like the longer tube would be the appropriate choice.

If the long tube is too long you are stuck. If the short tube is too short you can use the extended forend nut. ...Just food for thought.

Back