• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What the hell did I just do!!!

Because it wouldn't be a dry rub anymore?

Wait.....is this a trick question? ;) lol

Well, I comitted to a 5K next weekend (the 8th).

We shall see how it goes. I should be able to keep a decent pace, for me anyway, as my back has not been bothering me to much.

glad to hear the back is feeling better.
good luck on the run.

MikeD said:

We shall see how it goes. I should be able to keep a decent pace, for me anyway, as my back has not been bothering me to much.
funny how you pay your money, you get more motivated...

Im signed up for one on June 29, another on July 3.

Right on Mike! Take it slow. There's no rush...it's not like you entered a race or something :oops: ...oh..wait... :roll:

:lol: :lol:

no..really man. please be careful. and...

JUST WIN BABY!!

Best advice I can give you on your first few races.

walk the first minute or two. This will let the runners get out in front and you wont feel pressured to run above your pace.

Fronty Owner said:
MikeD said:

funny how you pay your money, you get more motivated...

Im signed up for one on June 29, another on July 3.

Sweet. Good luck Sir.

I did an after lunch power walk today and finished 3.25 miles in 54:34. I can jog a faster pace than that, even if not for the entire distence. I'mm optomistic for the 5K.

I have some family in from out of state that that will be in it as well. I'm going to use this as a benchmark as to how far I have come since the beginning of the year. I promise to post a picture.

Fronty Owner said:
Best advice I can give you on your first few races.

walk the first minute or two. This will let the runners get out in front and you wont feel pressured to run above your pace.

I ran a race back in school and I made that mistake. I tried to keep pace out of the gate with everyone and hit the wall hard about 3/4 way through. I still finished in 29 minutes but was so pissed at myself for getting thrown off my game. That was the only offical race I ran back them.

I mostly walked my first 5K. something like 50 minutes.

I think Im down to about a 30 minute 5K.

I dont think these are gonna be much better. I dont like the heat.

Fronty Owner said:

I did 3.57 miles in 55:28 today (15:31 min/mile) and that was just walking!!

I think my goal for Sat is very doable.

cool, almost packtest speed......do 3 miles in 45min with a 45 pound pack and you will have accomplished the minimum requirement for a wildland firefighter......no running allowed or you fail, its a good time lol.

Hmm....I should try that. I walk at least 5 miles a day. But that's indoors with a toolbelt and stuff. The guys at work call my toolbelt a box truck. Cuz I carry a bunch of tools. But hey...I use em all at least once a day. Then I dont have to go to my cart every 10 minutes. I need a scale here at home too. I should it to see how heavy it really is....and me. ;)

Good job Mike! Keep it up bro!!!

MikeD said:
Fronty Owner said:

I did 3.57 miles in 55:28 today (15:31 min/mile) and that was just walking!!

I think my goal for Sat is very doable.
That will get you thru a 5K

oli700 said:
cool, almost packtest speed......do 3 miles in 45min with a 45 pound pack and you will have accomplished the minimum requirement for a wildland firefighter......no running allowed or you fail, its a good time lol.
why no running? at a 15 minute mile pace, its almost more comfortable to jog it than try to walk.

I would guess...cuz you can't run in the forest. ?? Too much stuff in your way. Not to mention, you need to not be huffing cuz you're outa breath when you finally get to the red stuff.

Fronty Owner said:
oli700 said:
why no running? at a 15 minute mile pace, its almost more comfortable to jog it than try to walk.

If I had to venture I guess I would think that it is easier to maintain situational awareness and move with less noise when walking fast vs. a jog or run. having been a really big guy (around 360 at my absolute heaviest) I can attest that extra weight plays much more hell on your knees and ankles when running than walking. In the case of a fire arera i think it would also reduce oxygen intake which could be an issue in a area that may have smoke. Altitude probably plays a role as well.

Oli am I even close? That's all I can come up with.

If this goes well, I may try that at another event, just to furthur prove my mettle!!

Fronty Owner said:

it is a walk because its supposed to simulate a hike into a fire. Don't want people running to them but more of a fast paced hike, its safer and like Rip said , got to have some gas in the tank when you get there.
Doing it in a walk is harder than breaking into a jog and a complete different muscle group.....hard to keep people walking while doing it. It is a poor representation really because its on flat ground.

Reason it became a standard is because a lot of folks weren't able to make the hike timely and there were folks having heart attacks on the way into fire.
Then people started having heart attacks while doing the pack test.....so then we all started to have to go through health screenings before the test, if one cant pass the screening then your not allowed to take the test and unhireable.

ripjack13 said:
Hmm....I should try that. I walk at least 5 miles a day.

give it a go, its not as easy as it sounds. It is a good goal to work towards though

MikeD said:
If I had to venture I guess I would think that it is easier to maintain situational awareness and move with less noise when walking fast vs. a jog or run. having been a really big guy (around 360 at my absolute heaviest) I can attest that extra weight plays much more hell on your knees and ankles when running than walking. In the case of a fire arera i think it would also reduce oxygen intake which could be an issue in a area that may have smoke. Altitude probably plays a role as well.

Oli am I even close? That's all I can come up with.

If this goes well, I may try that at another event, just to furthur prove my mettle!!

All good reasons, no one ever runs to fires mostly because you can’t do it safely or it is physically impossible

The 45 pounds comes from one of the heavier things you carry to a fire and that is what we call a piss bag, a back pack that carries 5 gallons of water and a trombone style squirting nozzle.

Usually they weigh 50 lbs because just the water weighs 45, then the pack is 5…..we weigh everything because it’s all subject to go on helicopters.

In reality it you and another guy hiking into a small lightning fire before it gets big. So your carrying a piss bag, web gear/fire shelter, drinking water and food for 24 hours, hand tool of choice, chain saw, saw kit, saw fuel, all your PPE….it starts getting heavy………and you need to hike back to the engine to refill the piss bags as many times as it takes.

When I was a young buck I could break 40 minutes……real studs would get anywhere between 36 to 39 minutes, now I just time it to get done in the minimum

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjOZA2sbdMo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaXlCele5w8[/youtube]

its a full on ground and air war, your life is always on the line to differing degrees at all times, situational awareness and being able to get to safety in an efficient and timely maner are good things so keeping people honest with the pack test is a step in the right direction

Back