• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Random Stream of Consciousness

Still hurts... but not unbearable. Its healing and I'm workin so no complaint! Thanks! ;)

I was thinking on my way home from work the other day. every gun forum I visit has a SHTF selection. the end of the world. overnight aliens invade, 99% of the population turns to flesh eating zombies, what ever. Throughout history, as civilization has changed and moved locations, its been over years of time. Rome wasn't built in a day, it didn't fall in a day. Europe didn't go into the dark ages over night. Being prepared is good, but at best, your looking at a couple months. If we get struck by the rogue asteroid, then you're gonna need a whole new skill set.

Fronty Owner said:
I was thinking on my way home from work the other day. every gun forum I visit has a SHTF selection. the end of the world. overnight aliens invade, 99% of the population turns to flesh eating zombies, what ever. Throughout history, as civilization has changed and moved locations, its been over years of time. Rome wasn't built in a day, it didn't fall in a day. Europe didn't go into the dark ages over night. Being prepared is good, but at best, your looking at a couple months. If we get struck by the rogue asteroid, then you're gonna need a whole new skill set.

^^^^^^
Ha! I was thinking along the same lines on Friday....The being prepared part, because I was reading Mudinyeri"s Union Creek Journal before I went to work, just sitting in the lot, thinking. How much TP is enough? and what did they use before TP was invented? Corn cobs and leaves....It's only going to last for so long before you go and swipe some leaves off a tree or some tall grass. How prepared can one be? You can only have so much "stuff" before it becomes a burden. Where will you keep all this "stuff"? What happens when you run out of "stuff"? I'm sure there will be zombies if the asteroid hits...

Rossignol said:
So imagine a whole bunch of people walkin around like that! THOSE are the zombies... a bunch of people deprived of their psyche meds! Walkin around moanin like they're stoned and hungover, shuffling because they cant balance, their depth perception is whacked and they think everything is movin around. They'll look like crap, not cuz they're dead, but because they cant sleep. All kinds of cranky, and bitin peoples heads off over the smallest thing. Really though... biting peoples heads off.

They'll turn on each other though...

But in the end really, you are going to prepared for the worst, but only for a while.

Then what?

Well... I dont know what comes next.

Along the lines of what you and Fronty mentioned, how prepared can you be? I had posted a thread about how do you prioritize what to carry, consumables vs. necessities. You cant be a pack mule, at some point the benefit of what you carry will be outweighed by the burden.

This I believe is the best arguement for a "Bug In Location". Stay put as long as possible in a well supplied and defendable location. Even so, provision will only last so long before you have to strike out to resupply. Even the best laid plans will fail eventually. There is nothing glamorous, nothing to be romanticized, about a collapse of what we know.

Our lives are so dependant on synthetics, such as medications. By synthetics, I simply mean everything that makes our lives comfortable and "normal", similar in what is written in the UCJ by Mud.

Everything will change dramatically and in short order, within a couple months time. Knowing how to survive in one specific surrounding, and a knowledge of survival in general that can be applied in any enviroment will be a tremendous benifit to not simply ones own life, but the lives of those we are responsible for too. The greatest measure of character I believe, is by what selflessness we provide for others, what lengths we go to. Preparedness now is part of that.

Some will never be prepared enough. We simply dont have the means presently to do so. It will be easier in the short term in the immediate after effects, for those of us not near cities. We'll still have to scavenge, sooner than later, and may still end up moving like nomads.

I think another huge issue many will face, that may not often be talked about in preparedness but I feel is still part of the same, is how we may have to make decisions that are counter to our moral fabric, our integrity and foundations of our beliefs. It will be difficult to trust anyone encountered. How do you know in split seconds to trust someone, who is sincere and who is the coyote that distracts while the rest of the pack encircles. There is safety in numbers, but numbers can also be burdensome. Therefore I feel that every able body should know certain skill sets... leaving that at that for now.

The ill prepared will be desperate. The sleeping and dormant pathologically insane, the criminally insane, scociopaths, phsychotics, murderers and rapists will now have the chains and fetters of scociety that once held them at bay, lifted and will be unrestricted. It will be a carnival ride. They may have no other plan than to get from one day to the next. The worst of scociety has to be considered in anyones plans. This will make shepherding and guarding our loved ones especially challenging, particularly for those of us with young children unable to defend themselves. Again, I'm leaving that, at that...

I know I'm rambling. I know this isnt "light" conversation, but it is a random thread and its on my mind sometimes as we look ahead and consider the worst case scenarios could be possible in our lifetime.

More to my point, consider "you" in 10 years of society going downhill. can you bug out or in at 40, 50 or 60 years of age? Consider the life span of people in 3rd world countries. Some of us are already old or all of us are getting there alot faster than we would like.
i think the S will take a couple generations to HTF. Just getting closer.

I can definitely see and appreciate your point there, Fronty.

I too am among the "aging" and it has actually been a concern of mine when I consider the defense of my family. Which is also why I feel each of them should know certain "skill sets". They may be defending me someday.

Rossignol said:
I can definitely see and appreciate your point there, Fronty.

I too am among the "aging" and it has actually been a concern of mine when I consider the defense of my family. Which is also why I feel each of them should know certain "skill sets". They may be defending me someday.
or consider you a liability and a get rid of that liability... :lol: :lol: or maybe thats just MY family

I got pulled over for my cracked windshield down town Cincy quite some time ago. The ticket was $120! Well, I lost it and summarily forgot about it.

Till I got pulled over again the other day. For the same thing. It seems when I didnt pay the ticket, a warrant was placed and my DL was administratively suspended. So I was driving as a wanted man and without a valid liscense no less.

The officer was cool, though he asked what i was doin in that part of town as he could tell I wasnt from those parts. (most commonly, folks who go down there that arent from there are lookin for substance or company) I told him I work there. Our shop is in OTR (Over The Rhine) which has seen better days. I used to hang out down there quite abit. The UC campus is right around the corner and there used to be a couple cool clubs there too.

Anyhow, he re issued the original ticket and gave me a mandatory court date. Not gonna get out of it, I have to go to get my DL back.

After citing me, he said he wasnt gonna baby sit me to make sure I stayed put till a ride showed up, as I wasnt allowed to drive myself away, annd that if I left it was on me if I got pulled over again. I could possibly be arrested. Cool, so I pulled into a parking lot and shut the car off.

He then pulled up behind me and called me over. He said what he was sayin is that he couldnt babysit me. That he wasnt tellin me to drive off, but that I wasnt from there and as the sun was goin down I should get home however I could. He said he cared more for my safety than enforcing administrative paperwork and he didnt want me to be a casualty of another crime.

I told him thanks and that I understood and after he pulled away, so did I.

Just goes to show ya not all cops are sticklers. I've learned that if you are pleasant and honest they will do everything they can for you. I have 2 brother in laws that are cops. Ones a statey and the others a townie. I have yet to ask them for a "favor" but we talk about lots of stuff. What to do here, what to say ect..ect...it all comes down to what you were doing and how you explain yourself . Be nice. At all times. It'll help you. Good luck with the judge....

I have two chips in my windshield. I haven't had an actual crack in a windshield since 2000 when I got rid of my 1971 chevy truck.

Sitting here on the computer my normal weekend routine drinking coffe with CMT on in the background while the kids eat and play I open this thread and read all 11 pages and some thing occurs to me. Man it must have been hell for my parents when I was in my teens I was hanging out with a group of older guys which looking back we could have been called a gang there was over 100 of us guys and girls.When one of our friends took his life and after the funeral we all went up to the local cruise spot ( our normal hang out) which went through 3 citys and did a couple memorial laps probably 30-40 cars we blocked intersections and what not so our group could stay togethter and not one cop messed with us I dont know why maybe it was out of respect for our friend who had just passed or it was just to much hassle. I know the cops knew most of us by name and knew our vehicles but the reason i bring that up is thats about the time i pulled my head from my you know what. Guess you could say it was a wake up that we arnt invincible and all have our weakness shortly after this I distanced my self from the group I still talk to a couple of the guys who I was close with im actually standing up in one of thier weddings next year. I just hope that I raise my boys right to were if they do, do the dumb things I did they realize it and come around like I did I know all kids go through a rebelious phase but some of the things I did in my phase of rebelion could have landed me in jail, hurt or worse.

Rossignol said:
All 11 pages! What part got ya thinking?

About mid way into the thread when you guys were talking about daughters dating and not wanting to do thing with parents and what not. Im not sure the exact page cause im on my phone so there are more pages but that's about were it started.

DroidX Tapatalk

Ah, yes... The dating stuff. Still dealing with that, but it isnt like it was for us here back in the summer.

One stupid face down. There is another, but he seems scared and doesnt wanna come around. :D

Back