• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Paint and Refinishing

Re: Painted the 500 with Duracoat....... check it out

Ivannahumplot said:

thanks. i will get some shooting videos once i get time to go to range.

i can hit a paper plate at 200yd almost everytime with a slug. this eotech makes it easier for me to get on target too. so my shooting is a bit quicker.

who has seen a shotgun with a bipod, mono pod, eotech and a mangifier hit 300yds+?

160.jpg

The more i look at this, the more im liking the color. Im just curious if there is a shade between the aug and od green. Im trying to find more pics of people that have used the od green on px4s so i can make up my mind.

Oh, btw guys, the actual paint comes in a aerosol can already or is there a mixing process involved? if so, do the instructions say anything about shelf life of the paint after first use? Just curious if id be able to paint one and wait for full cure time etc and then do my other weapon. Wouldnt want both my hd guns out of service at the same time.

ZombieHunterD said:
Oh, btw guys, the actual paint comes in a aerosol can already or is there a mixing process involved? if so, do the instructions say anything about shelf life of the paint after first use? Just curious if id be able to paint one and wait for full cure time etc and then do my other weapon. Wouldnt want both my hd guns out of service at the same time.

you have to mix it but its simple. i just put the supplied hardner in the supplied paint. thats what it says in instructions. if you only use half the mix then use half the hardener supplied with the kit.

dont pre mix it and expect it to stay fresh for days. once mixed i would spray everything. so prep first ahead of time. i dont know the exact science but i would think the hardner activates the paint and gets it to dry quicker/harder.

you can use it in a air brush or buy the kit with the aerosol attatchment. you mix the paint and put it in the can. its not a pre mixed color in a can like most paints.

Ivannahumplot said:
I'm curious to see how the duracoat holds up on the mag tube.

me 2. i will post feedback and let you guys know. i would expect it would wear just like the factory finish on the mossy. my other heavily used shotguns have wear with factory finish.

i like the character it gives the gun. but when mine scratches it will be black underneth then metal. so it will look a bit unique once it wears to my use.

Bolt finish or color

I am looking at Mossberg 500's. The vast majority appear to have a bright bolt. Its polished steel or something. Not chrome. I have seen just a few with a flat black or grey bolt.

Which models have this flat black or grey bolt. I can't seem to figure it out. Many of them are Talo specials it seems.

Also I know the difference between 590/500 so Im not getting it confused there. Thanks!

Re: Bolt finish or color

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the 500s with parkerized finish have the bolt your talking about. I can't remember if I've seen any blued ones with the flat bolt color. I could be wrong though, one of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in later

Re: Bolt finish or color

I know my new Mossberg 500 SPX has a back bolt

Edited for spelling and grammer

Removing Spray Paint of Mossberg 500A

What's up guys. I just purchased a 500 from a co-worker and its got a pretty bad camo job. its on everything.. I've heard use acetone on the metal. and paint thinner on the stock.. any ideas on how to get the paint off the plastic trigger guard and safety?

Re: Removing Spray Paint of Mossberg 500A

welcome from NY and congrats on your new to you mossy.
take a look at Testors removers.

Attachments

• Floquil542143Remover.jpg
    Floquil542143Remover.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 393

Thanks for the info. I'm going to head to Wal-Mart tonight after work and see if I can get everything I need.

Getting the paint off of the plastic trigger assembly is going to be very difficult to say the least. You'll probably have to do it the old fashioned way with elbow grease.

Avoid acetone or MEK product on plastic. Even certain paint strippers.

Acetone is regularly used to melt/bond/weld certain plastics together.

The metal of the gun, you could use a brass wire brush on a cordless drill that should make for quick work of it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/36pc-Wire-Wheel ... 5ad4f39da0

And the stock, you could use some fine grit wet/dry sandpaper. Just know you'll have to refinish it with stain or paint probably after you're done sanding.

Is it painted camo or is it the old Mossberg factory camo?
When I picked up one of my 500's the xfer FFL thought that it was a home done paint job.
It was not. It was an old school factory camo job.
Pretty sure that if it is, it wont come off easy.
Good Luck!

That is a very good point LTB45.

My old mossy is about 13 years old, and it had the awful looking factory woodland camo job on it.

I'm not sure what kind of finish it is, but it was tough whatever it is.

Its for sure spray paint.. there are dried paint drips in several places.

Back